Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Ben Bova Star Conquerors PDF problem

Hi,
My first post.
I started hitting this issue with Calibre but it's gone further but honestly dont know where else to put this post.

Ben Bova's first ever book is very rare and expensive.
He put it as a PDF for free on his site a while ago and I got it but was never going to read a PDF on my PC.
So I've now got a cybook and the conversion to mobi with Calibre was awful. 1000% worse than any other PDF. (I appreciate PDF conversion issues).

Right letters but terribly spaced and parts of words on wrong lines giving lines interleaved and carridge returns and new lines all random in wrong places.

I went to his site to get a new copy just in case but he's deleted it, it would seem.
I've found someone with Abbyy reader 8 and though of re OCR ing it, but it's exactly the same.

Looks like it's either damaged or obfuscated on purpose?
anyhow it looks fine as the original PDF but i'm stuck.

Mobi creator (only used it this once) was even worse!!

Any thoughts at all?
Anyone with more experience willing to have a go?

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by jethro10; 03-05-2009 at 10:20 AM.
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Is it a scanned PDF? If it is, then you're going to have some trouble.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I love doing PDF conversions. (In both directions.) If you have a reasonable belief he pulled it for lack of interest in hosting, rather than "I don't want more digital copies to be available," I'd be willing to give it a try. (I don't mind doing OCR corrections.) You can email me at elfwreck at gmail dot com.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I love doing PDF conversions. (In both directions.) If you have a reasonable belief he pulled it for lack of interest in hosting, rather than "I don't want more digital copies to be available," I'd be willing to give it a try. (I don't mind doing OCR corrections.) You can email me at elfwreck at gmail dot com.
no idea what it was.

I've had an offer and sent it to him.
Maybe I'll learn something.
If that falls through I'll send it to you and when complete I gather I can post it in the freebies?

Jeff
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
jethro10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Is it a scanned PDF? If it is, then you're going to have some trouble.
I dont think it's just effectivley pictures of pages encapsulated in a PDF, it definatley seems like text but just all messed up when you convert.

J
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
I dont think it's just effectivley pictures of pages encapsulated in a PDF, it definatley seems like text but just all messed up when you convert.

J
Depending on what program it was created in, that can happen. Especially if it's an older program, and converted with an older version of Acrobat. It's one of the reasons people complain that PDFs aren't "real ebooks"--because they're not designed to convert from, or even to read on a computer screen--their primary purpose is as a ready-to-print format.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
jethro10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Depending on what program it was created in, that can happen. Especially if it's an older program, and converted with an older version of Acrobat. It's one of the reasons people complain that PDFs aren't "real ebooks"--because they're not designed to convert from, or even to read on a computer screen--their primary purpose is as a ready-to-print format.
Yeah, I know PDF if a mess that way, I don't know why Mr Bova would have used it, but it's the only choice I have

Book sent.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
jethro10
Enthusiast

EDIT: Forget it, I'm stuck,
but there is a kind soul now, helping...

J

Last edited by jethro10; 03-06-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Wayback Machine anyone? LINK REMOVED
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I'm sorry I never saw this thread. The first thing I did when I got my Kindle was go after this book.

The Star Conquerors was a favorite of mine growing up. I searched for it for years at sci-fi conventions without any luck. Finally I found a dealer who knew about it and gave me the terrible news: It was Ben Bova's first book, and he did not like it or was not satisfied with the arrangement he had with Winston, and has refused to reprint it ever since.

Some time later, when I was flush with money, I bought a rare copy for several hundred dollars.

When I found out that the book had briefly been available online in PDF format, I was ecstatic. But the PDF had already been taken down. However, I too was smart enough to check wayback months ago and downloaded a copy.

I now have a fairly reasonable conversion of the book in MOBI format, with cover, and a working table of contents, and formatting problems corrected as well as some typos. Personally, I believe since it was online before, it is fair game to offer the converted MOBI file. But I understand why it may not be kosher to post it here.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Is there a version of this book available in some other formats that can be converted back to Mobi?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I now have a fairly reasonable conversion of the book in MOBI format, with cover, and a working table of contents, and formatting problems corrected as well as some typos. Personally, I believe since it was online before, it is fair game to offer the converted MOBI file.
No, it is not.

"Downloadable" does not mean "repostable". Unless you are specifically granted permission to redistribute a copyrighted book, then you have no right to do so. That is what "copyright" means - the right to control how it is copied.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
bookmanpc
bookmanpc began at the beginning.

Device: netbook
Bova webmaster replies.

Hi folks. I know that many people remember STAR CONQUERORS with great fondness, in fact it is just about the most referred book of Ben's over 120 books that we get asked about.

That said there are issues with making it available, one of those issues was people stealing it and reposting it illegally on boards and sites. This is neither legal nor ethical.

HarryT is absolutely correct.

See I paid several hundred dollars for the copy that was destroyed to use to harvest the text.
Ben STILL holds legal and valid copyright and intellectual proprty rights to the work as well. People were simply stealing it, passing it around after agreeing not to, and it came down because of that.

The rather childish attitude that say 'well it was once there so it's OK' is neither legal or ethical. I suspect the people promoting that know that quite well.

We are negotiating with GOOGLE BOOKS, (if they ever get their act together) to make a limited by purchase at a reasonable price version available.

Any modification, sharing, pilfering or other unauthorized distribution of the book is both illegal and unethical.

Hang in there a little longer and you can have a legal copy for a reasonable price.

Fair enough?

Lloyd McDaniel
Bova webmaster.
[ebook fan since the original Rocket Ebook from RCA. Owner of a Ebookman, netbook that I prefer to the Kindle Nook, and other devices but I AM looking at a Linux tablet. ]

DISCLAIMER: DR. BOVA HAS NOT AUTHORIZED THIS MESSAGE. THE OPINIONS ABOVE, WHILE FACTUALLY ACCURATE ARE MY OWN.
bookmanpc is offline   Reply With Quote