Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Unhappy PRS-505 Frozen, battery is full

My 18-month-old PRS-505 froze for no apparent reason on the train this morning. I switched it off, then switched it back on (changed my mind about stopping reading), then when I switched it off again when my stop came the screen didn't blank out. I tried the reset button on the back and it had no effect. I charged the battery fully yesterday using the PSP usb charger cable and a usb wall adapter. I've never had any issues with rapid battery drain, so I highly doubt this is a battery issue.
How can I get my device to restart and unfreeze? I have it plugged into my computer right now to see if maybe it'll reboot, but nothing so far. The red light is on.

Is there some super-ultra-special reboot command I can give it? Or is pressing the button on the back the only reset option?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I freaked out when that happened to me in the car last week. Luckily, after trying a few things, I was able to break it's mental seizure when I slid the power button over and held it there until it fixed itself. I held it about a minute or so - forever in 505 panic time!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, DixieGal, I'll try that. It just finished charging and still the reset button doesn't do anything, so I'll try anything!

UPDATE:
yes, the power button seems to have lifted it out of it's haze! Thank you so much!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Thanks, DixieGal, I'll try that. It just finished charging and still the reset button doesn't do anything, so I'll try anything!

UPDATE:
yes, the power button seems to have lifted it out of it's haze! Thank you so much!
I'm glad DG could help you out I certainly would have been panicking.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post

UPDATE:
YAY!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
ooh, ooh, I *finally* could answer something, but I'm a few days too late!

Mine froze up on me once as well, and the power slider trick worked for me too. I was definitely panicking, especially as I was still in my first month of using my new baby!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
adixon
adixon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wow, this happened to me last night and I went in panic, left it alone thinking it would shut down on it's own through the night. No such luck. Followed the instructions from the sony reader support web site, what a waste. Came here and now my reader is working again. Thanks sliding the power switch and it holding works.
adixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

It happened to me *again* a couple nights ago. I've never had a single problem with y reader before, could there be a bug in the most recent firmware? Or perhaps it's rejecting the very trashy books I've been reading lately. Hrm . . .
Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Remember that after a reset, it'll only boot up once you slide the power button to start things off. You should see the LED light up for a bit when you do so, but the screen probably won't change for a while. It might be resetting at a particular book it doesn't like or possibly, the battery running completely flat.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
Wow, this post is so helpful, it ought to be a sticky! My daughter's 505 did this tonight and this was the only thing that worked! Thanks so much!
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

This happened to me several more times since starting the thread, so I completely wiped the system and restored my books from the computer. Been a week now with no freezing, hoping that was the permanent fix!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
mitchelc
mitchelc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
& another thanks from me. Just received a 505 & managed to freeze it. The only thing I would add is that I had to let the power slide return to normal (after the minute) before it then sorted itself.

Thanks again
mitchelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Welcome to another 505 user, mitchelc!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
That trick! I did exactly the same the first time it happened to me! Perhaps a reflex from using an ipod =D. And by the way it's not necessary to hold it for a whole minute, a couple of seconds does it too.

I just hate that they (apple, sony,etc) leave these important bits of information out of the user manuals. I remember I was travelling overseas (9h flight) with my brand new ipod and it froze! I couldn't do anything but let the battery drain and charge again = no music the whole flight =( If I've had only known the reset procedure.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
This happened to me twice today with my Sony prs-300. I went to open a book I'd bought last week which had no problems opening then but today it just froze and wouldnt open. I rest it but at first it was still frozen so I held down the power switch for a while and then it restarted. I then tried to open the book again thinking it was jsut a glitch and it froze again so I had to reset it. Anyway I opened another book another book and left it for a few hours and now i've been able to open the book I was initially trying to open. I dont know why it was acting up.

I hope it doesnt do this regularly.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote