Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Power switch repair = $90

I just got a call from Sony's Laredo TX repair center. They want $90 to fix the power switch on my recently out-of-warranty PRS-505. Ouch!

My slider switch spring broke or came unhooked and it no longer functioned to put it in or out of sleep. I tried a workaround for a week of disabling sleep mode so the book never turned 'off.' If it breaks again I guess I'll open the sucker up myself to inker. $50 sounds more reasonable, given 15 minutes of a repair tech's time, what must be $2 in parts cost, and shipping it back to me.

Heavy sigh. But I figured you guys would want to know.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
$90 sounds reasonable to me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's probably a minimum service charge, rather than reflecting the amount of labour required for the specific job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
It's not reasonable to me. 90$? Come on!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I understand minimum service charges. It is just a little painful (30+% of new replacement). Sony still offers complete trade-ireplacements for $250, I laughed nervously when they offered me that, but I think I could find a new one for $250 or less (e.g. Circuit City's liquidation).

If my 505 wasn't operating perfectly in all other ways I'd replace it but the darn thing has almost sentimental value to me!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I understand minimum service charges. It is just a little painful (30+% of new replacement). Sony still offers complete trade-ireplacements for $250, I laughed nervously when they offered me that, but I think I could find a new one for $250 or less (e.g. Circuit City's liquidation).

If my 505 wasn't operating perfectly in all other ways I'd replace it but the darn thing has almost sentimental value to me!
I didn't know that (the trade replacement). That's good to know for the future.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Especially when you consider the deal Akumag2 got at Circuit City where he bought a floor model PRS-505 for $15.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=1
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Buy the switch and have a "geek" friend install it, we all know one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post

Last edited by Ervserver; 02-24-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote