Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Run from Source on Windows?

I am trying to run Calibre from source on Windows (under Eclipse). When I choose run on (for instance) server.py, I get an error that states:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\calibre\src\calibre\library\server.py", line 17, in <module>
    from PyQt4.Qt import QImage, QApplication, QByteArray, Qt, QBuffer
ImportError: cannot import name QImage
That is one of the imports mentioned in that module, but I do not know why it is missing. There is a Qt.pyd file in the PyQt4 folder and I do have the folder C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4 on the search path. I am guessing that this means there is something missing in the way the environment was built, probably for PyQt4? Should I simply rebuild PyQt4 not specifying specific packages? Alternatively I guess it could be something to do with the way Qt was built?

I want to be able to run from source as it should make it easier to investigate why some dialogs are not disappearing as they should on completing their action.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you run it from a console? And the dialog not disappearing problem should be fixed now.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can you run it from a console? And the dialog not disappearing problem should be fixed now.
Do you mean from a VS2008 Command window using something like
Code:
python server.py
If so, the answer is I get the same error.

I still have the problem with the "Add Books" dialog not disappearing even in 4.129. I thought if I could get it running from Calibre source I could start investigating why. This is on several machines - the only common factor being they are all running XP Pro SP3. Having said that another common factor is that the Calibre library is on a network share on a NAS device. The Add books dialog not disappearing happens nearly all the time. I also occasionally get the Edit Metadata dialog not disappearing when it should, although that is much rarer.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-21-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, your PyQt installation seems to not be working. You can test it with

python -c "from PyQt4.Qt import QImage"

Did you install it from source or using the binary?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In that case, your PyQt installation seems to not be working. You can test it with

python -c "from PyQt4.Qt import QImage"

Did you install it from source or using the binary?
That failed as well.

I installed from source.
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm guessing that c:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\PyQt exists and contains the requisite .pyd files?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

That folder exists.

It contains a Qt.pyd file, which is where I assummed those imports are meant to come from?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If that's all it has the modules are missing. Qt.pyd is just a convenience wrapper. THere should be QtGui.pyd and QtCore.pyd at a minimum. Here is what my folder contains

Code:
Qt.pyd  QtCore.pyd  QtGui.pyd  QtNetwork.pyd  QtSvg.pyd  QtWebKit.pyd  __init__.py  __init__.pyc  pyqtconfig.py  pyqtconfig.pyc  uic
Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard

All those files (and more) are present.

If you are reasonably sure it is the PyQt package that is at fault I can remove and rebuild.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-22-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah if the plain python command is failing then that's the most likely cause
Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

I've rebuilt PyQt4 and that appears to have fixed the problem. Not sure why as I simply repeated what I previously did when I built it. Guess the reason does not matter as long as it now works!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:03 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Most likely it was a pyqt that was compiled for an incompatible python/qt version
Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

Possibly - although I had compiled from source!

The only thing I did this time that might have been different was delete the source folder and re-create it from the downloaded zip. I guess that there must have been some debris left behind from other install attempts?