Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I did a little research of my own (skimming book reviews), and it looks like for The Eyre Affair, I should read both Jane Eyre and Martin Chuzzlewit. I already have Martin Chuzzlewit on my Sony Reader (acquired as one of my 100 freebies), and Jane Eyre is in my Calibre queue.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
jimbolini
jimbolini began at the beginning.

Device: none
You do not need to have read the referenced (Eyre etc.)books. Fforde pretty much assumes the reader has not.
As a previous poster said, the great things about Ffordes books are the basic premises. The writing itself is so-so. I enjoyed myself taking the great basic ideas (like book travelling) and imagining how I could tweaked the books better to my liking.
jimbolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Just rent the Jane Eyre movie with Orson Welles.
You won't need it to enjoy the book, though.

Actually knowing the ending of Jane Eyre confused me a little at first because everyone in the book was talking about how great Jane Eyre was except for the weak ending.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay, so I've just started reading "The Eyre Affair".

I may have found a new favorite author. I already love the style of writing, and characters.

And I'm only on page 4!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
The Eyre Affair isn't based on Jane Eyre, although having some familiarity with the plot and the ending of it will help immensely - otherwise some parts just won't make as much sense. I've only read it the once, I think, and many years ago at that, so you certainly don't need to be on intimate terms with it.

You're more likely to come away from each boook with a list of works you want to read

I've never found a crib sheet, although there may be something buried in the Jasper Fforde forums or website that lists them. But authors referenced include:
Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jasper Fforde, the Brontes, Enid Blyton, George Eliot, Lewis Carroll, Leo Tolstoy, W E Johns...

Plus half a tonne of puns, daft references and so on.
Well, I"m almost done with the book, and I must say, its a keeper. Thankfully, there is a quick synopsis of Jane Eyre towards the end. Told me everything I needed to know (for me)

You are so right, I just made a bee-line to our books here, and downloaded "Martin Chizzelwitt". This is huge for me, since (gasp!) I am most definitely not a fan of early English writers. 'sigh. And perhaps I may have to eventually try some others.....altho sad stories make me weep and run for my Xanex.
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. I'm not sure that "Martin Chuzzlewit" is the ideal introduction to Dickens, if you've not read him before. Personally I'd go for "Oliver Twist" or "Great Expectations". They are both a lot "lighter" and a lot shorter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think it is the connection 'Martin Chuzzlewit' has to 'The Eyre Affair' that has piqued desertgrandma's interest.
I don't think it's a bad introduction to Dickens, and the U.S. episodes may make it paricularly interesting to readers that side of the pond.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. I'm not sure that "Martin Chuzzlewit" is the ideal introduction to Dickens, if you've not read him before. Personally I'd go for "Oliver Twist" or "Great Expectations". They are both a lot "lighter" and a lot shorter.
Oh my gosh. I read "Great Expectations" and "Oliver Twist" a hundred years ago.

Are you saying that a story about a poor crippled kid who falls in love with a gold digging waitress who makes fun of him and breaks his heart is lighter than "Martin Chuzzelwitt"?

and "Oliver Twist"? I remember nothing 'light' about that one.

Perhaps I'm just not meant to read the great novels. I"ll try "Chuzzelwitt" and take it from there.

Thanks, Sparrow, thats exactly what made me want to read it in the first place!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Oh my gosh. I read "Great Expectations" and "Oliver Twist" a hundred years ago.
See...you are too old to carry so much karma.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
See...you are too old to carry so much karma.

BOb
still beatin' the carp outta you, you dang young whippersnapper!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
still beatin' the carp outta you, you dang young whippersnapper!
Sigh. I have to give you karma for that. Too funny.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #27
jimbolini
jimbolini began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dickens refs. in Eyre affair

Fforde deliberately picked Chuzzlewit for good reason as one of the least popular Dickens works - Hades appraisal was not far wrong IMO!
If you want to tackle Dickens, my personal pick for an intro. would be Tale of Two Cities.
jimbolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolini View Post
Fforde deliberately picked Chuzzlewit for good reason as one of the least popular Dickens works - Hades appraisal was not far wrong IMO!
If you want to tackle Dickens, my personal pick for an intro. would be Tale of Two Cities.
Thanks ........I was wondering at his choice....
Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolini View Post
Thanks ........I was wondering at his choice....and will never look at the word "bookworm" the same again.........
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #30
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I've read and enjoyed the Thursday Next series a lot.
I hadn't read Jane Eyre but I could understand and enjoy the story without any problem.
But it sure helps to have at least a bit of knowledge in english lit classics.

My wife and I have recommended and offered these books many times to friends and family, and each time it was a success.

As a side note, you can find another conversation on Japser Fforde here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13273
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote