Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #601
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
right now... I am just sitting here kicking myself because I missed sending in my application for a job I'd decided to apply for. Office closed at 5 (which I couldn't make anyway) but I could have had it postmarked with today's date, which is acceptable to them..... but I missed the post office by 3 minutes *sigh*

I'm torn between being mad about having to apply for a job that they basically have me doing already (minus the higher salary of course) and being mad at me for waiting until the last minute to do something about it.

Nose/Face, bleh.

It could just be that it was karma... not meant to be... maybe I will try to go with that one since I'm not able to kick myself these days.
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #602
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If thinking it's karma works for you, go with it. Otherwise, move on and check the listings for the next opportunity.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #603
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'm not especially interested in criticizing anyone's ethos, but I'm not sure what you consider the Texas ethos to be, so I'm not sure I'd "join" it, either.

Issues of shooting are entirely moot, as I don't own a gun and consider it extraordinarily unlikely that I ever would. (That might disqualify me right there....)

No, shooting's optional. (I haven't shot a gun in a coon's age - no place to shoot.)

Ethos is hard to describe simply. Anthropologist write big, long, books on different ethos. All we ask is for people not to tell us how to do things. We do things in our land, our way, and tend to get annoyed when somebody from the outside complains about our customs - especially when it means more taxes and gov't involvement in peoples lives. We believe in self-reliance as much as is possible. Nothing ticks off an old Texan worse that someone who moved down from -say- Ohio, and complains that thing aren't done like they were in Ohio (or pick your state/country). If you want things done like they were in Ohio, go back to Ohio. (Texas joke - What is a cultured Texan? Ans. One who has learned to leave the word "Damn" off Yankee in his/hers thoughts...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #604
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Generally Libertarian, I take it. That's common here in New Hampshire, too.

As I said, I'm not interested in criticizing anyone else's ethos. As it happens, I have mixed feelings about this one, but I'll keep them to myself.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #605
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Generally Libertarian, I take it. That's common here in New Hampshire, too.

As I said, I'm not interested in criticizing anyone else's ethos. As it happens, I have mixed feelings about this one, but I'll keep them to myself.
And that's fine. Live your life to your standard.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #606
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Anybody can be a Texan, it only requires three things,

1. Willingness to live in this harsh environment without complaint.
2. Joining the Texan ethos rather than criticizing it.

and

3. Putting up with the rest of the world sneering at you (and not shooting back without permission... that's the toughest one.. ).
...or, lacking those, a good air conditioner will do fine. I think that characterizes the majority of those that live here today. Well, maybe not today but at least last week.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #607
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Y'all left out sharks, little Black Widow spiders, rabies, tornadoes, lightning storms, 24hr temperature shift from 25 degrees C to snow and ice, and back to 25C in 24 more hrs, droughts, grass fires, floods, javelinas (wild peccary, a form of native hog - most dangerous), lots of guns, mesquite trees, huisach trees, prickly pear, pincusion cactus, and alligators (both actual and alligators gars (up to 8 feet in length with jaws 2-3 feet long)).

To us natives, home sweet home. (Sorta explains why the gov't has used Texans for shock troops since the US Civil War...)
And let us not forget... Texans!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #608
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Right now, I'm prepering notes for a two minute sound bite at a press conference about suicide prevention.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #609
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Right now, I'm prepering notes for a two minute sound bite at a press conference about suicide prevention.
Hey pshrynk, tell them to read a good book. It works for me. I'll never commit suicide because there are too many books I haven't read yet.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #610
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Hey pshrynk, tell them to read a good book. It works for me. I'll never commit suicide because there are too many books I haven't read yet.

Dreamer
something tells me that if that is a compelling reason for you, you might not be pshrynk's target audience...

(that's probably for the best though, wouldn't you agree ?)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #611
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
And let us not forget... Texans!
Don't worry, we never let anybody forget about us!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #612
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Back from out of town... but still off today. So I'll be spending the day mentally cleansing myself from the mud-slinging of the past week, in order to go to work tomorrow totally refreshed.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #613
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Just finished my homework assignments for classes starting at 4. (I'm in classes from 4-9pm tonight.) I was able to relate one of the assignments to my job, so I could justify working on it during "work" time.

In the other class' assignment I was asked to write a defense of "close-minded thinking." I think it's some kind of reverse persekology the instructor is using on us. Hm... that reminds me of a wish... (hops back over to the wish thread)
Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #614
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Huh ... I'm feeling a bit on the dizzy/woozy side today. I suppose it's the medications, but ya never know.

This has been happening in the early afternoon several days in a row now. I would take a bit of a lie down, but that seems to make it harder for me to go to sleep later on.

It's rather odd.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #615
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ricky, do you have a blood pressure cuff? Do you think maybe your BP is dropping when you stand up?

I'm here at my desk, eavesdropping across the cubes. The people on my side are getting set up for this week's wedding shower, and the groom-to-be is sitting on the other side pretending he can't hear it. Can a girl claim all of these wedding/baby shower gifts as a tax deduction? This is getting ridiculous. OK, slap on a happy face and go pretend to be excited to watch other people get gifts.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?