Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Dalegaard
Dalegaard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Line over text

Hello

I'm new to Sigil and I have a problem I was hoping someone who have an answer to.

I'm trying to create a line over a sub chapter heading but when I used the overline in text-decoration, the line is too close to the text and I don't know how to increase the distance between the text and the line.

I have also tried to use the border option but I don't know how to stop the border from going over the entire page width but only where the text is.

Hope it makes sense
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Udklip.PNG
Views:	264
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	106816  
Dalegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
How about a horizontal rule? <hr /> The following is borrowed from another post:

You need to set the margin to half the width of space left over by the horizontal rule. Eg, if you want a rule that's 70% of the page width, that leaves 30% remaining, so you'd set the left margin to half of that space, or 15%:

CSS Code:

hr {
width: 70%;
margin-left: 15%
}
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You will become a great deal happier when you re-define your task from 'reproducing the printed layout' to 'presenting the text in an ebook-appropriate manner'.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe increasing "line-height" has the effect you are looking for.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegaard View Post
Hello

I'm new to Sigil and I have a problem I was hoping someone who have an answer to.

I'm trying to create a line over a sub chapter heading but when I used the overline in text-decoration, the line is too close to the text and I don't know how to increase the distance between the text and the line.

I have also tried to use the border option but I don't know how to stop the border from going over the entire page width but only where the text is.

Hope it makes sense
This trick can be useful for you but I think it doesn't work in ADE; in K4NT works perfectly. In your css stylesheet, write the following:

Code:
h2 {
   display: table; /*the key in order to get the top-line*/
   font-size: 1.4em;
   padding-top: 0.4em; /*here you control the gap between the text and the top-line*/
   margin: -0.35em auto 2em; /*the complement of the key*/
   border-top: 2px solid black;
}

p {
  font-size: 1em;
  text-align: justify;
  text-indent: 0;
}

p + p {
  text-indent: 1em;
}

.center {
  text-align: center;
}

.bold {
  font-weight: bold;
}
Now in your .html file write:

Code:
<body>
  <p class="center bold">CHAPTER 1</p>

<h2>BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA</h2>

<p>...</p>

<p>...</p>

</body>
As you can see, the key is to display the text with the top-line AS A TABLE. And you center the table by applying margin-left and margin-right as "auto". With that you get what you want

Also you can use, alternatively, the following styles:

Code:
p {
  font-size: 1em;
  text-align: justify;
}

p + p {
  text-indent: 1em;
}

.top_line {
   display: table; /*the key in order to get the top-line*/
   padding-top: 0.4em; /*here you control the gap between the text and the top-line*/
   margin: -0.35em auto 2em; /*the complement of the key*/
   border-top: 2px solid black;
}

.center {
  text-align: center;
}

.bold {
}
And in your .html file:

Code:
<body>
  <p class="center bold">CHAPTER 1</p>

<p class="top_line">BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA</p>

<p>...</p>

<p>...</p>

</body>
Below you can see a screenshot of my Kindle and I attach the respective .epub.

Regards
Rubιn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-18467.gif
Views:	201
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	106823  
Attached Files
File Type: epub top-line.epub (2.7 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 06-09-2013 at 10:26 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I was going to suggest the border-top solution of RbnJrg

Use border Top if the line is only wanted if there is a sub title

Use a border-bottom (on the chapter title) if it is always wanted.
Padding-top (or bottom) sets the white space between the line and parent text
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
What about if you want the line beside the heading like this?

I'd like a better way to do this as it doesn't allow for changes in the size of the chapter heading text, and I'd like it to start on the right then finish at the header.

Code:
  <h2>BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA</h2>

<div class="ruleclass">
    <hr />
  </div>
Code:
.ruleclass {
   margin-left: 1em;
   margin-right: 1em;
   margin-top: -4em;
   }
hr {
   height: 3px;
   background:#505050;
   width: 40%;
   }
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-06-10_053708.png
Views:	205
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	106833  
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyhands View Post
What about if you want the line beside the heading like this?

I'd like a better way to do this as it doesn't allow for changes in the size of the chapter heading text, and I'd like it to start on the right then finish at the header.
Hmmm, I don't know if this will work for you, but you can do a try. In your css stylesheet write:

Code:
h2 {
   text-align: left;
   margin: 1em 0;
   white-space: nowrap;
}

h2:after {
   display: inline;
   font-size: 1.2em;
   text-overflow: clip;
   white-space: nowrap;
   word-spacing: -10px;
   content:" ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————";
}

And in your .html file write:

Code:
<h2>BLA BLA BLA BLA</h2>

<p>.... something ...</p>
I really don't know if your reader can support the pseudo-element :after.

Regards
Rubιn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	line-aside.png
Views:	201
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	106840  

Last edited by RbnJrg; 06-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Hmmm, I don't know if this will work for you, but you can do a try. In your css stylesheet write:

Regards
Rubιn
Ooo!
Looked great in Sigil
then I sent it to my PEz (ADE based)
no line.
At least it did not barf and failed gracefully (unusual for this version)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Steadyhands
Connoisseur

Quote:

[

Regards
Rubιn
Thanks, I'm using an iPad and it sort of works. Sigil displays it correctly, Calibre viewer and iBooks display a series of dashes ie — — — —

The good thing is it works on chapter One ———— and on Twenty-Three ———— just as well and the lines don't flow through to the next line.

I added a font-size: to the h2:after to reduce the thickness of the em dashes.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This has nothing to do with Sigil. This is an ePub issue. Please some moderator move the thread. Thanks.

We get too many threads in here that have nothing to do with Sigil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Agreed
Moderator Notice
Moved
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
... and "content" is not a property supported in the ePub 2.0.1 spec, and you cannot be sure that the dashes will form a continous line in every font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #14
Steadyhands
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
... and "content" is not a property supported in the ePub 2.0.1 spec, and you cannot be sure that the dashes will form a continous line in every font.
That seems the be the issue, I'm thinking of adding a extra loooong dash to my on dinkus font I've created. I'll make it about 30 em dashes long and see how it goes. Then I can embed the font.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyhands View Post
Thanks, I'm using an iPad and it sort of works. Sigil displays it correctly, Calibre viewer and iBooks display a series of dashes ie — — — —

The good thing is it works on chapter One ———— and on Twenty-Three ———— just as well and the lines don't flow through to the next line.

I added a font-size: to the h2:after to reduce the thickness of the em dashes.
Try changing:

Code:
content:" ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————";
by

Code:
content:" _____________________________________________________________";
There is another method to achieve what you want that I think it could work in ADE too; if later I have a bit of free time, I will post it.