Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Igorsk's Mobipocket workaround - does it always work?

Has anyone already made purchases through eBooks.com, Mobipocket.com and other stores carrying DRM'ed Mobipocket books?

Do they always work with the PID code generated using Igorsk's tool?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Definitely doesn't work on MobiPocket. "*" is not an acceptable character for PIDs at MobiPocket. I read that it didn't work on ebooks.com for the same reason.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As Mobipocket charge full price for their ebooks, I would never purchase one there. I would try BooksOnBoard, PaperbackDigital or Fictionwise, or other shops I have left out who have decent prices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well...see...heheh

What I was saying in another thread is sort of showing a bit of itself here.

I've been looking on these other book sites at the prices for "premium" content and it appears that Amazon is undercutting everyone. Fictionbook has a sort of "rebate for credits" scheme but you're paying upfront retail for these things.

I do not think that in the Grand Scheme, anyone using MobiTech in a licensed business will be able to...comfortably compete with Amazon for Kindle sales regardless of igor's work because they won't be selling the same content in Kindle format for Kindle Encrypted books, making the effort moot

Cue the fat chick...let the marginalization begin!
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkai View Post
I do not think that in the Grand Scheme, anyone using MobiTech in a licensed business will be able to...comfortably compete with Amazon for Kindle sales regardless of igor's work because they won't be selling the same content in Kindle format for Kindle Encrypted books, making the effort moot
It's hardly moot if you already have a good many Mobi titles and want to use a Kindle without repurchasing them. I think that was largely the purpose. I doubt any other Mobi seller will out-compete Amazon now.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It's hardly moot if you already have a good many Mobi titles and want to use a Kindle without repurchasing them. I think that was largely the purpose. I doubt any other Mobi seller will out-compete Amazon now.
Yeah but... How many people actually *LIKE* to read and would, therefore, *have* more than 2 or 3 Secure Mobipocket ebooks hanging around? Hmmm... Let me do a quick search. Yep, just as I thought - just about *EVERY* person who hasn't yet purchased a Kindle!

I, myself, have at last count over 1,900 DRM'd Mobipocket ebooks. There's no way I'm going to *buy* the AZW versions! I will, when I can justify purchasing a Kindle, use Igorsk's scripts to make them available on my Kindle.

So help a poor person out in his quest to buy a Kindle! Go forth to http://www.naebllc.com/ and pre-sign-up for the NAEb package of the Bookeen Cybook Gen3 and purchase one as soon as we *finally* get our store online come Wednesday of this week! (As CTO, I need to have one of each of the competition, but until we generate some income I can't afford one!)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
So help a poor person out in his quest to buy a Kindle! Go forth to http://www.naebllc.com/ and pre-sign-up for the NAEb package of the Bookeen Cybook Gen3 and purchase one as soon as we *finally* get our store online come Wednesday of this week! (As CTO, I need to have one of each of the competition, but until we generate some income I can't afford one!)

Derek
I has an even better suggestion. If you want to order a Kindle for yourself or as a gift for others, please go to my blog and click on the Amazon banner ad at the top so each person purchasing a Kindle will be helping me earn enough Amazon Associate points to buy one of my own! http://delphidb96.blogspot.com/ This way I too will be absorbed by the Kollective (Resistance, after all, is futile!) and stop nattering about the Cybook over here!

Yes, I know it's a shameless advertisement, but you were all going to buy a Kindle anyway, yes?

Derek
Old 12-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
So do you get a commission on anything we buy if we go to the site through that link? I wish I'd known about that before I bought my Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
As I am (hooboy) less than pleased with the 505...

...from a "buying books from Sony" point-of-view I'm actually looking to ditch the thing and buy either a Gen3 or a Kindle.

I like the 505 from an engineering stand point (more or less...its sooo sleak and Metal is Good) but the book buying via connect is a sould sucking DRAG. I wish Sony would just...stop...making...bad...software. Please. Now.

And if the Connect music store is any indication...the connect bookstore doesn't have a future.

I'm not...feeling the joy at $400 to Amazon, especially when I'm getting that Nintendo "we can't make enough of them!" vibe...the whole "you'll get one when you get one" thing.

OTOH, my primary OS is not Windows. I don't *need* windows to buy Secure mobi "big name" books if I have a gen3 do I?
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
So do you get a commission on anything we buy if we go to the site through that link? I wish I'd known about that before I bought my Kindle.
Yes, I do. Won't get rich quick, but if enough people buy a Kindle through that ad link, I can afford to buy my own... tell a friend!

Derek
Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkai View Post
...from a "buying books from Sony" point-of-view I'm actually looking to ditch the thing and buy either a Gen3 or a Kindle.

I like the 505 from an engineering stand point (more or less...its sooo sleak and Metal is Good) but the book buying via connect is a sould sucking DRAG. I wish Sony would just...stop...making...bad...software. Please. Now.

And if the Connect music store is any indication...the connect bookstore doesn't have a future.

I'm not...feeling the joy at $400 to Amazon, especially when I'm getting that Nintendo "we can't make enough of them!" vibe...the whole "you'll get one when you get one" thing.

OTOH, my primary OS is not Windows. I don't *need* windows to buy Secure mobi "big name" books if I have a gen3 do I?
Nope. The Cybook Gen3 reads Secure Mobipocket directly. And the PID of each Cybook is visible in the About dialog so you can hand-enter it at Fictionwise, Mobipocket, etc. Then it's just a drag-and-drop using the USB cable to the Cybook.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Don't get me wrong...

I like many of the features of the Kindle.

My sole complaint, (other than it's competing with the Cybook, and thus with NAEB) is that Amazon expects me to buy AZW format versions of secure Mobipocket ebooks I've already purchased if I want to read them on the Kindle.

IOW, let us presume I didn't own a Cybook. Let us presume that I've been using my PC or my Axim to do all my Secure Mobipocket reading. Let us further assume that of the 1,900 Secure Mobipocket ebooks I currently own, there are 400 which I enjoy enough to re-read them. Now if I weren't able to buy a Cybook, my recourse upon buying a Kindle - and can we all agree that reading ebooks on an eInk display, even a 6" one, is far superior in many lighting situations than reading on an LCD screen? - if I want to stay 'legal' is to accept the 'hidden cost' for the re-purchase of those 400 ebooks in AZW format. If we accept that the average price (they're all rather new books) is going to be at least $6 per ebook, that means I've got to shell out $2,400 for ebooks I've already purchased!

Nope. If I get a Kindle, I'm going to make use of Igorsk's scripts!

Derek
Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
j2jensen
j2jensen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Windows Version

Hey everyone.

I wrote a windows version for this igorsk's scripts here.
j2jensen is offline   Reply With Quote