Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
zhddz
zhddz began at the beginning.

Device: None
Rooting and Flashing

I saw many people mentioned about rooting or flashing the reader. What is the difference between flashing and rooting? What are the risks of doing it? Will it void my warranty? Can the damage be undo if I mess up?
Thanks
zhddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Well, I'm pretty sure it would void any warranty - although if you're in the UK you might get away with it under the Sale of Goods Act.

But I doubt it, and wouldn't want to be a test case !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
flashing = putting new content on internal memory, e.g. firmware. sony update does this. root-packages too
rooting = void warranty :P
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
zhddz
zhddz began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you. I think it is too risky for me....
zhddz is offline   Reply With Quote