Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
MarcusStringer
MarcusStringer began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Quick Format Question

Hi Guys,
Wasn't sure where to put this...so here it is...
Was asked by a client to quote on supplying ePub file (which is fine with us)

But they then, in the same breath wanted a secondary quote for supply of:
ePub, AER and PRC

I cannot find any information about AER or PRC?
The only thing I came up with was reference to PDF/AER

Does anyone here know what these stand for?
I don't want to ask the client (and for them to think I don't know what I'm doing)

Thanks
Marcus
MarcusStringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Here is a link to the MR Wiki information on formats.

Prc/mobi is what I usually notice, but I am not very knowledgeable about formats.

You can check the wiki and hopefully a more knowledgeable member will chime in soon.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
PRC started out as generic PALMOS extension for a variety of data files.
In the ebook arena, PRC is a file extesion for Mobipocket files and can be created by Mobipocket Creator (free at mobipocket.com) or other tools like MobiPerl or Calibre. The format can also use the extension .mobi and (if DRM-free) .azw for use with Kindle ebook readers and apps.
For more detail:
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...mobiformat.htm

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The prc format is the same as mobi (more or less), and well handled by Calibre.

But AER? I never heard of it either...

You could try telling the client it's an old obsolete format the industry is trying to avoid... but if I'm wrong we both look like idiots and you are out of work..

Maybe try to get the client to tell you why they want it or where it will be used, and then you might find out what it really is. Then come tell us, please...

Good luck - Sr. Systems Programmer & Consultant, retired (still alive!)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
MarcusStringer
MarcusStringer began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Thanks Guys.
So effectively, I can continue using the ePub format and running it through kindleGen to create the .mobi file? (which will work with PRC readers anyway, right?).

That's one down...Good idea...pholy
I think I will have to ask some leading questions on this one...????
MarcusStringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As long as you don't use DRM azw = prc = mobi.

The only AER format I know of is 3d graphics files for ADOBE ATMOSPHERE.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Perhaps he means eReader format and mistakes it being from Adobe? In that case it would be PDB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
As long as you don't use DRM azw = prc = mobi.
I don't think that's true, though an ebook readers which which can read one can read the other two - I think there's one called a Kingle (or something similar) which can do this.

The difference between mobi and prc versus azw is that if one removes the DRM from a mobi or prc file one gets a clean mobi or prc file. If one removes the DRM from an azw file one gets a collection of folders, and a big HTML file with horrible CSS.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
The difference between mobi and prc versus azw is that if one removes the DRM from a mobi or prc file one gets a clean mobi or prc file. If one removes the DRM from an azw file one gets a collection of folders, and a big HTML file with horrible CSS.

Regards, Alex
Uh. No.

You may be thinking of azw1 (Topaz) format which is glyph-based and a generally-despised abomination.

azw, though, is *exactly* the same format as Mobipocket internally.
DRM-free azw files can be generated by the OP's creation tool of choice, Kindlegen, and merely changing the extension makes them readable by any mobi-compatible reader app. Conversely, DRM-free files generated by mobi creator renamed as azw are readily readable by Kindle hardware and readers apps.

I've done both.

Topaz on the other hand is only available in DRM-infested form and it is best avoided whenever possible.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh. No.

You may be thinking of azw1 (Topaz) format which is glyph-based and a generally-despised abomination.

azw, though, is *exactly* the same format as Mobipocket internally.
DRM-free azw files can be generated by the OP's creation tool of choice, Kindlegen, and merely changing the extension makes them readable by any mobi-compatible reader app. Conversely, DRM-free files generated by mobi creator renamed as azw are readily readable by Kindle hardware and readers apps.

I've done both.

Topaz on the other hand is only available in DRM-infested form and it is best avoided whenever possible.
You're quite correct, I did presume that Topaz and azw are the same. Thanks for the clarification.

I share your opinion about Topaz, and would never knowingly buy an ebook with this format.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote