Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #46
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I also find backing up to a 4 gig thumb drive convenient (for now).
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #47
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Right now I back everything up on a zip disk. I am seriously considering getting a bigger removable HD by Western Digital. That way I can back up both my growing book collection & my music files.

If any of you have any good recommendations for a HD please let me know.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #48
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Now it was my turn.... My harddisk died two days ago Thankfully it did it slowly enough for me to get my files from my Time Machine backup (I have/had an iMac) copied to a regular backup disk that's readable from Windows (I've just sold the iMac - want to switch back).

Lost my Calibre library, but that was my own fault I'm not really sure why I chose not to back that up Oh, well, I still have all my books.

I lost all my music too, but that was sort of on purpose. I haven't backed it up because I want to start over from a clean slate and rip it again - had music in different qualities and formats.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #49
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have all my books in Calibre... then I have my calibre library in my Dropbox folder.

Dropbox is a sync service that you can install on one or more computers. It keeps copies of everything on multiple computers and one copy on their cloud servers. It is automatic and instant. You don't have to do anything but keep drop box running. Whenever something changes it will get synced with that cloud and other PCs almost instantly.

Dropbox gives you 2GB for free... You can get more (up to 3GB) for free by having others sign up using your referral ID. Or, you can pay a fee to get more space. Your 1GB library would fit fine into the free space.
Thanks for that... I just took up your referral...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Thanks for that... I just took up your referral...
Yep... I just got the Growl notice about it. Thanks very much. I hope you enjoy it as much as I.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #51
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I've had a home computer since 1981 ... and Apple ][+ that is still the most expensive computer I ever owned. They charged $50 for an extra chip to enable "lower case" -- oooh, ahh! Hard drives? You're kidding, right? The first hard drives for pre-Macintosh computers were 5 MB ... yes, megabytes ... and they wanted around $5,000 for them. But, hey! the 160 KB ... yes, kilobytes ... one sided 5" floppy disk drives ran $750 but you could save money by using a whole punch to make a hole in the floppy square on the other side so you could record on "side b".

So far -- and many computers and O/Ses later -- I have yet to experience a catastrophic failure. And I have not been a religiously anal backup person either.

It's why I love the most recent solution: Rebit for Windows, for around $30; works with Windows 7 and earlier OSes; and is being relaunched as "SaveMe". It stores a backup of your entire system to a dedicated external drive (I have 1 TB) ... in real time. Yes, that Word doc or Excel spreadsheet you've had open for 45 min is backed up. If the entire computer died, the Rebit external drive can be used to regenerate on a fresh computer .. exactly where you left off. It stores multiple versions of files, based on available space and all are accessible with a click or two.

To be doubly sure, I buy a new drive about once a year and start over, putting the old drive safely away in a drawer. A TB these days runs about CDN$120 ... a few cents a day. Between genealogy files, pictures, music files, e-mail and now e-books, the peace of mind I get is ... priceless.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #52
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, I have a Synology 107+ NAS, have all my data, ebooks among it.
Every now and then, I plug a second disk and synchronise everything. (So backup disk so it would be safe from power surge).
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote