Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
The id/nam issue

Sigil (or Tidy) will change <a href="#note01" id="to_note01"> to <a href="#note01" id="to_note01" name="to_note01">. However, when parsing such a file in Validator (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/), you get the message:
ERROR: attribute "name" not allowed at this point.

The developers of Tidy are aware of this bug (see issue 226), but I wonder what we can do in the mean time. I can delete all the wrong attributes in a few minutes using wildcards, but when I save the file and open it again, all the wrong name-attributes are there again.

Does anyone have a good trick? Or do you just leave the name attributes?
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
The developers of Tidy are aware of this bug (see issue 226)
Ha! Look at the VCS logs, no one really works on Tidy anymore. Official development is pretty much dead.

I'll fix it myself when I find the time. Probably for 0.2.1. Until then, don't worry about it. AFAIK "name" is merely deprecated in XHTML, not disallowed. Baaah, I checked the wrong version of the XHTML spec. In 1.1, it is officially removed for "a" elements, not just deprecated.

Still, don't worry about it. No renderer is ever going to flake out on that. But like I said, I'll fix it when I find the time.

Last edited by Valloric; 01-15-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
The name attribute for <a>-elements is forbidden in XHTML 1.1 if doctype "strict" is used. When using XHTML 1.0 (all doctypes) or 1.1 with another doctype than "strict" (eg. "transitional") then it's just deprecated. Anyway, the OPS-2.0 spec relies on XHTML 1.1 and if doctype "strict" is used then the name attribute is disallowed.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
I've just run into this issue as well. I'd like not to worry about it, but my distributor (one of the largest ones in the US) will not allow us to upload files with the name attribute present. So if it's possible to make it a slightly higher priority fix, that would be great. Until it is, I won't be able to use Sigil (or at least will have eventually to open my file in another editor before uploading and make the fixes manually). Thanks!

Last edited by sjkramer; 02-24-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkramer View Post
I've just run into this issue as well. I'd like not to worry about it, but my distributor (one of the largest ones in the US) will not allow us to upload files with the name attribute present. So if it's possible to make it a slightly higher priority fix, that would be great. Until it is, I won't be able to use Sigil (or at least will have eventually to open my file in another editor before uploading and make the fixes manually). Thanks!
It's already a high priority issue on the tracker, one of three such issues, out of 80+ currently opened.

I planned to take a look at it for 0.2.1, but if it's impacting you this much (i.e., not able to work), I'll try to take a look at it for beta2 of 0.2.0 (beta1 will be out in a few days).
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Valloric

I felt bad about you not being able to work until this issue was fixed so I took a look at it now. It turned out to be remarkably simple to fix: Tidy (wrongly) specifies that the "name" attribute is present in the XHTML 1.1. spec, and has a special function for "fixing" (actually breaking) anchors.

So while I was analyzing this function for a not-too-intrusive way to turn it off, I noticed Tidy has an option for turning on/off this "name fixing" behavior. The option is switched on by default, but Tidy usually changes options according to the required doctype. So this should have been turned off internally, but it wasn't.

Either way, I now explicitly turned it off and it all works. No more name attribute.

You can build Sigil from source and get the fix right now if you need it ASAP, or you can wait for the first beta of 0.2.0.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-24-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
You're really the best. And I know that you have tons and tons of issues to fix. I just thought I'd put another vote in for this one—and also that it's an issue that effects not just me, but it seems to be the way things are going. I really really appreciate it and all of your hard work—especially in the face of whiners like me!
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote