Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
My first day with the Opus

After using my Opus for a full day I'd like to share some impressions.

I received my Opus yesterday (after a long series of delays from Expansys). It was smaller than I expected. Build quality seems sturdy enough and I like the pouch/sleeve it comes with.

I immediately started charging the Opus wishing the 3 hours (as stated in the printed quickstart guide) to pass quickly so I can start using it. I charged it for 7 hours and the charge light didn't go off as expected. I'm still not sure if that is to be expected or if it's some kind of problem with my USB ports not providing enough power (I connected it to various ports, including ones I know are powered and my 700W PSU should be able to handle the load.)

In the end I just turned it on to see if it actually works. And it did, with the power indicator on the device showing 100%. Guess the charging is done then.

Connected it to my PC and after backing up the whole Opus drive I transferred 10 or so ePub books to it. I used the "Safely Remove Hardware" option and on the Opus itself it still showed a little USB icon with the words "Connected". Hmmm... not sure if that's to be the case. The manual doesn't state anything so I reluctantly unplugged it and hoped for the best.

Started messing around trying different views including the folder view and got my first freeze. Soft reset didn't seem to work. Had to be brave and use the manual reset option. Off with the cover (tedious with clammy hands!) and a quick paperclip press to "Reset". Nothing happens. Frantic I reset again and then realize I had to turn it on again. Opus in working order again... Wheww..

Start reading a book. The screen is pretty clear and the text is easy to read, but the background is much more grey in color than I expected, although not a major issue I thought the contrast would be better.

Managed to complete one chapter and it freezes again! Not too impressed at that point. Once again a soft reset doesn't seem to work (perhaps I'm doing something wrong?) and that's without using an SD card. Off with the cover and manual reset again and it works again.

Now I knew about the freezing issue, but having two within the first 10 mins isn't very assuring. At this stage I had to call it a night and went to bed.

Being my own boss (and business being extremely slow) I had the whole working day to spend reading. Thankfully the Opus seemed to handle things well and only froze 5 minutes before the end of the day. Reading on it is comfortable, although due to our 38°C weather your hands tend to get quite sweaty. The force required to press the "next page" button also seems to be a tad too much. A softer press would make things more comfortable.

I noticed that reading in ambient light the contrast seemed to improve quite a bit, with the background not appearing as grey as under artificial light. The small form-factor is very easy to carry around and comfortable to use. The amount of text displayed at a time is better than I expected, with 2 page presses giving the same amount as a paperback page (at least in readable font size).

Overall the device is great. The firmware - not so much. The freezes are driving me crazy and I actually feel too anxious to demo it to people because I'm sure it will just freeze up in the middle of the demonstration!

Am I sorry I opted for the Opus? No. I guess for having a more open device you need to live with a few setbacks. Now lets hope Bookeen release a firmware update sometime this decade!

Last edited by Crusader; 11-24-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
polyfragmentiert
Groupie
polyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SONY PRS-T1, bald tolino vision 3 HD
Crusader,

thanks for sharing your experiences!

I have a similar diary running over in the German section of the forum and I can confirm some of your issues with the Opus.

I had the Opus hard-freeze after disconnecting it from the USB port on first load-up. Funny that you found the removal of the backside lid diffy as well. I didn't even have sweaty hands. I had the device freeze on me a few times now, once in the bib view during idle time.

As for the size of the reader, I find that as my focus moves away from the device and more and more to the displayed content, the size doesn't really matter much to me anymore. At first I had the eerie impression that it took me AGES to read a short story, but recently that feeling started to recede. I think it's a matter of getting used to.

Thanks, again, for your impressions, glad to see someone else share similar experiences.
polyfragmentiert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
The charging light never goes off, even when it is fully charged. So yours is "operating as intended".

By the way, if you have a charger for a mobile phone (with a micro-USB sized jack), you can plug the Opus directly into the wall.

And I agree, eInk works best in a bright, sunny room, and is not great in dull lighting.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Antonieb
Antonieb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Am I sorry I opted for the Opus? No. I guess for having a more open device you need to live with a few setbacks. Now lets hope Bookeen release a firmware update sometime this decade!
Though luck.. Bookeen doesn't even know what 'releasing a firmware update means'

You already gave them your money so you are not of any importance anymore !
Antonieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I immediately started charging the Opus wishing the 3 hours (as stated in the printed quickstart guide) to pass quickly so I can start using it. I charged it for 7 hours and the charge light didn't go off as expected. I'm still not sure if that is to be expected or if it's some kind of problem with my USB ports not providing enough power (I connected it to various ports, including ones I know are powered and my 700W PSU should be able to handle the load.)
As I said elsewhere, the charge cycle are by round of ~3 hours so if about 6 hours the led did not shutdown the next time will be after 9 hours etc...
Quote:
I used the "Safely Remove Hardware" option and on the Opus itself it still showed a little USB icon with the words "Connected". Hmmm... not sure if that's to be the case. The manual doesn't state anything so I reluctantly unplugged it and hoped for the best.
As soon as you Opus is plugged on USB (even on a USB charger) it will display you this screen, so you will need to unplug it to use it.

Quote:
Started messing around trying different views including the folder view and got my first freeze. Soft reset didn't seem to work. Had to be brave and use the manual reset option.
This is not a "soft" reset but a real hard reset.

Quote:
Off with the cover (tedious with clammy hands!) and a quick paperclip press to "Reset". Nothing happens. Frantic I reset again and then realize I had to turn it on again. Opus in working order again... Wheww..
This is normal. The reset button, unplug the battery or anything like this will NOT change the screen display. The screen will stay the same until the software ask it to display something else.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert