Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Scan your books and search them on Google

Interesting story from TechCrunch:
Quote:
...if we are willing to convert our entire CD collections to digital form, it is high time we started tackling our books. Right now, Google is merely matching your books with the books it has already digitized for search purposes only. But once they know what books you own in print, the next logical step is to sell you a digital version of the book and related books on the same topics or by the same author.
A video of the process is included with the article.

Last edited by Bob Russell; 06-07-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Reduced the quote - had pasted more than I had intended.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I was able to easily import my books from Bookpedia... about 660 out of 750 or so went in alright. The ones that didn't generally didn't have proper ISBN's.

You can take a look here:
http://www.google.com/books?uid=5028...738990&rview=1
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I always view projects like this with a sort of pessimism, since a primarily English language collection, no matter how thorough, simply does not cover a meaningfully high percentage of my personal library. And I rather suspect Google is a long way from scanning (or even trying to scan) all the myriad non-English small/independent European publisher's books, who regularly print books with expected sales figures around or below 1000 books.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
It doesn't seem to like the 1900 ISBN list i'm trying to import now.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 06-08-2009 at 08:13 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
cjcherryh
cjcherryh doesn't littercjcherryh doesn't litter

Device: computer
I take it this refers to the cover only. To include actual book content would not be fair use, and would be, in effect, a pirate copy.
cjcherryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcherryh View Post
I take it this refers to the cover only. To include actual book content would not be fair use, and would be, in effect, a pirate copy.
Google Books treats different books differently. Some only have metadata, others offer a partial preview, others are fully downloadable. Which is which depends, in part, on the publisher. (There was a lawsuit and the agreement born therefrom governs Google's digitization of still under copyright books.)

- Ahi

Ps.: Searching the book (with only a sentence's or two's worth of text surrounding the "hit" being displayed) might be available even for books that offer no preview though.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
cjcherryh
cjcherryh doesn't littercjcherryh doesn't litter

Device: computer
Yep. I've spent about 30 hours so far and am still trying to fish my books out of Google's assumption that they should just naturally have the right to copy anything they want in the name of information. I expect to spend another 20 hours on this process. Sigh. I don't know why they shouldn't be able to do a "just get my books off your site" request, but they want every one of their forms filled out.
cjcherryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcherryh View Post
Yep. I've spent about 30 hours so far and am still trying to fish my books out of Google's assumption that they should just naturally have the right to copy anything they want in the name of information. I expect to spend another 20 hours on this process. Sigh. I don't know why they shouldn't be able to do a "just get my books off your site" request, but they want every one of their forms filled out.
Why do you want your books off of Google Books, CJ?

I am fairly certain they are not giving access to the full book to anyone... so basically the partial availability they presumably offer would be akin to letting somebody peruse your book at a bookstore. They can look at a few pages, and decide whether or not they want to buy it.

Oh, and your books are more likely to show up in search results. e.g.: Imagine somebody not remembering anything about a particular book they once read before, but the word "paidhi". A regular Google search for that word does not immediately lead people to one of your books... but the Google Books search does: http://books.google.com/books?q=paid...G=Search+Books

Is that such a bad thing? Or is there some other issue that I am missing?

- Ahi
Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
CJ may not be satisfied by the paltry amount Google is willing to pay for such a privelage.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
CJ may not be satisfied by the paltry amount Google is willing to pay for such a privelage.
as a consumer. I find that damn stupid.

Look whats there on the page

so not only can you find a book you once read, you can browse similar books where her book can pop up as she is a fairly popular author, and on the page you can see samples of the book, and links to tons of stores to go buy it.

so again. I say that's damn stupid unless you think that people wont like whats inside your book. and I'm sure you also saran wrap your books before sending them to barns and noble.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
I'm sure you also saran wrap your books before sending them to barns and noble.
ha ha ha.... nice.

I can see CJ's point, but I don't agree with it. Nonetheless, that's hilarious.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Stupid is a bit too strong of a word. It is a different point of view, and one which many younger people may find archaic, but I do think it's a valid (if possibly misguided) position. I'm personally far more annoyed by the fact that it was settled in a binding way, in terms very favorable to Google, rather than actually adjudicated.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post

Look whats there on the page

so not only can you find a book you once read, you can browse similar books where her book can pop up as she is a fairly popular author, and on the page you can see samples of the book, and links to tons of stores to go buy it.

so again. I say that's damn stupid unless you think that people wont like whats inside your book. and I'm sure you also saran wrap your books before sending them to barns and noble.
Frankly I find your comment "damn stupid". I did a quick check on cjcherryh's books on google books and, while there are none that have a full preview, there are six that have partial previews. These "partial previews" have hundreds of pages of content for each book. If I were her I'd be damned mad since that's taking food off her table. I am assuming that she has spent that time removing all the full previewed books.

While I would hope that cj would consider distributing her books with out DRM I fully support her right to prevent google books for reproducing her books on the internet and totally agree that the burden of proof should rest with google books and not with the authors.

I have purchased all of cj's books, most two or three times. When one of my friends makes a comment about near light speed navigation/combat I often hand them a copy of Downbelow Station, when we are discussing non-human thought patterns The Faded Sun trilogy is often "lent". I recently picked up a copy of one of her books and said to myself, "Wow, I had forgotten what a really good story teller she is." I went on Amazon and purchased almost all of her books again and re-read them all within a month or so. This was just prior to my getting a Kindle. I'd love to get her books on my Kindle but they are distributed with DRM so I will have to forgo that pleasure. Half the pleasure of a good book is being able to share it, with DRM that is not possible. I will probably give away the paperbacks I have now and, eventually, purchase them again, but unless the DRM is gone I won't be buying her ebooks.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Stupid is a bit too strong of a word. It is a different point of view, and one which many younger people may find archaic, but I do think it's a valid (if possibly misguided) position. I'm personally far more annoyed by the fact that it was settled in a binding way, in terms very favorable to Google, rather than actually adjudicated.
well the way I see it is this.

a Preview of a book should be at least 1/4 of the book, and as much as 3/4 of a book.

the reason for the Large previews is that way your not tricking your customers into buying your product. an author who doesn't want their book previewed, sounds to me like someone who doesn't trust in their work, and relies on tricking their customer into buying it.

I'm a person who has only hated about 3 of the last 100 books I read. so odds are good, that if I pick up a preview of your book, and I got half way through it. when I get to that second half that should say, click here to buy the full version of this book. I would click in an Instant. 97% of the time.

Not only did you trust that I would like your book, You gave me the chance to try it out without dropping a ton of cash on it either.

I never got the logic of only showing off the first 10 pages or the first chapter. or whatever. it should be enough of the story to make people want to read more. where you addicted them in your story telling and they have to know what happens next.

in almost every book I read. that happens by about the third chapter or even the 5th or later depending. very few books catch me right away and I spend alot of time picking and choosing what to read next.

so when I say, as a consumer who has every intention of reading one of CJs books in the near future, I find it damn stupid of her to block a preview of her book, considering I can just go to amazon and get the same thing but in worse quality to the point where I probably wouldn't want to try it out. or I can get a sample chapter from the kindle. or I could just go to the library and read the book there, and in that case she wouldn't even make a sale, as heck, the commission she made on that library book has been sitting in her pocket for years already.

the same thing applies to movies, tv shows, and music. Hell most music samples are the whole song, same thing for TV shows. people are still buying lots of music, and lots of DVDs, and Everyone is pirating when it comes to Movies and TV shows, and music, don't do it to ebooks too, be good and start on the right track by giving away the hen house. but keep the chickens to sell later. Instead of letting them go steal it from you.

if someone wants to try out your book and they see, No preview.... they might go try to find a pirated copy. and once they have that copy whats preventing them from just reading that cover to virtual cover?

but if you say, here. Try it out, I hope you Like it. Read, I know half way though you will want to buy it from me.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Frankly I find your comment "damn stupid". I did a quick check on cjcherryh's books on google books and, while there are none that have a full preview, there are six that have partial previews. These "partial previews" have hundreds of pages of content for each book. If I were her I'd be damned mad since that's taking food off her table. I am assuming that she has spent that time removing all the full previewed books.
from the comment she made, she is actively trying to block these limited previews.

I don't see how anyone can read 50% of a book every other page and enjoy it. and frankly if they can, they deserve to get it for free and its less than that even.

Last edited by Andybaby; 06-15-2009 at 07:56 PM.