Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Book Cover Inspiration

If you're a Writer 2.0 (a very catchy name I suppose for all us "unpubs") then maybe this site will give you some inspiration for designing your next book cover.

http://bookcoverarchive.com/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you for that site ! i love looking at book covers ; a well done cover is a work of art. the cover for dashiell hammett's "the thin man" caught my eye there but partly also because it's one of my favourite books ever. those covers are really gorgeous.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

There are so many half-arsed book covers out there, predominantly in the best-seller releases and mass market paperbacks. It's a pleasure to see a book cover that's been thought out and yet leaves something to the imagination for the reader. A good book cover will lead me to reading just as much as a blurb.

And I agree, the Thin Man is a cracking read, also the films aren't half bad either
Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
There are so many half-arsed book covers out there, predominantly in the best-seller releases and mass market paperbacks. It's a pleasure to see a book cover that's been thought out and yet leaves something to the imagination for the reader. A good book cover will lead me to reading just as much as a blurb.
absolutely ! it's one of the things i still love most about paper books, when the cover is really well done. it's one of the big frustration with some series, like the black mask series (in france), for a lot of them they have just plain yellow covers with black letters for all the books. and nrf is a really good publisher but their covers are so boring too ! just cream-coloured with a little border... but there are others which have a distinctive look like Vivian Hamy editions, black background and a black and white photo, so you can instantly recognize the publisher, but each one is distinct. and 10/18 also makes some nice covers. i think french publishers are actually making nicer covers now, overall, than a few years ago. it's one reason i wouldn't mind having a colour liseuse.

Quote:
And I agree, the Thin Man is a cracking read, also the films aren't half bad either
i LOVE the films !! i'm completely in love with William Powell (and Myrna Loy, a little bit... although with her, it's more that i wish i could be her ). although they did go downhill towards the end. "the thin man goes home" is pretty terrible. when they FINALLY released all of them on dvd a few years ago i bought myself the boxed set for my birthday. before that only the first one was available (and i had it, of course !). the dvds have nice covers too, luckily.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
The cover and title are the first things that even get me interested in a book. If I don't like the cover I usually won't give the book a second look. So, it better catch my eye. Very important part of a book for me at least.

That being said, I can count many many books that had great covers that I was never able to finish. Booooorrrriiiinnnngggg.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
absolutely ! it's one of the things i still love most about paper books, when the cover is really well done. it's one of the big frustration with some series, like the black mask series (in france), for a lot of them they have just plain yellow covers with black letters for all the books. and nrf is a really good publisher but their covers are so boring too ! just cream-coloured with a little border... but there are others which have a distinctive look like Vivian Hamy editions, black background and a black and white photo, so you can instantly recognize the publisher, but each one is distinct. and 10/18 also makes some nice covers. i think french publishers are actually making nicer covers now, overall, than a few years ago. it's one reason i wouldn't mind having a colour liseuse.

i LOVE the films !! i'm completely in love with William Powell (and Myrna Loy, a little bit... although with her, it's more that i wish i could be her ). although they did go downhill towards the end. "the thin man goes home" is pretty terrible. when they FINALLY released all of them on dvd a few years ago i bought myself the boxed set for my birthday. before that only the first one was available (and i had it, of course !). the dvds have nice covers too, luckily.
I bought the box set too I'm a sucker for the movies of the 30's and 40's, just something about them that's...well, I don't know, magical maybe. More romantic, innocent, I can never put my finger on the exact reason. But whenever I'm watching one of those old Black & White movies I feel better for the watching
Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I bought the box set too I'm a sucker for the movies of the 30's and 40's, just something about them that's...well, I don't know, magical maybe. More romantic, innocent, I can never put my finger on the exact reason. But whenever I'm watching one of those old Black & White movies I feel better for the watching
me too !!! i love them !! most of my really favorite films are from that period. have you seen the Big Sleep, with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall ? another of my favorites. it's not an innocent story, yet you're right, compared to the films they make now it seems positively gentle. but really i think that ineffable quality which i so love is actually elegance. every detail is so gorgeous. i wish we still took so much care to make things beautiful, from the ordinary daily objects (telephone...) to the way people dressed...
Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

maybe we should start a new thread in the lounge just to talk about movies from the 30's and 40's. i could go on about them for a long time...
Old 04-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
maybe we should start a new thread in the lounge just to talk about movies from the 30's and 40's. i could go on about them for a long time...
Are you reading my mind? Bogart, Bacall, Edward G Robinson, James Cagney, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracey, Jimmy Stewart... I could go on and on.. really I could Most of my movie collection is from the 30's/40's era, so I think a separate thread might be quite fun.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Are you reading my mind? Bogart, Bacall, Edward G Robinson, James Cagney, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracey, Jimmy Stewart... I could go on and on.. really I could
no, i think you are reading my mind.

Quote:
Most of my movie collection is from the 30's/40's era, so I think a separate thread might be quite fun.
will you do the honours ?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

Done

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...007#post432007
Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
i've jumped in already.