Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
kapblp
kapblp began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Q1U
Tutorial On Converting to Kindle?

Is there a simple tutorial on how to convert a book to a format that Kindle can read. I have may docs that I want to set up to have a TOC each for each entry and I cannot seem to find a simple step by step guide to do this. Call me stupid if it is somewhere obvious, but I can't find it.
kapblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You will want to use the mobi format. If you have the ebook in your library select mobi as the output format on the right under the red heart, select the book and click convert. You can also use the command line tool any2mobi.

As for the tale of contents, mobi doesn't really support it all that well. What will happen is the mobi conversion will parse the ebook and generate a page at the end that will be titled Table of Contents and have links to various points in the ebook. Try converting to mobi for and see how it works out.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
thepete
thepete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Converting to Cybook also works for me on occasion.
thepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
kapblp

Thanks for the help. I have converted about three books now to mobi format and they look pretty good. I have noticed little things like the graphics don't show up and their are other problems, but they have nothing to do with the program. The only problem is the graphics. Is it just not possible to have the pictures in their with this format?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapblp View Post
Thanks for the help. I have converted about three books now to mobi format and they look pretty good. I have noticed little things like the graphics don't show up and their are other problems, but they have nothing to do with the program. The only problem is the graphics. Is it just not possible to have the pictures in their with this format?
There is a size limit. How big are the pictures?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
kapblp

Have no clue how big they are. I just copied and pasted from a Word Document.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Are you importing a RTF document? I don't think these allow images. From Word, try exporting HTML and importing this to Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If I remember MSWord correctly, you should be able to drag a graphic out of the window to your desktop and it should be saved there automatically. Open the graphic in paint. One of the menu options is "show attribute". This will tell you the size.

I checked with Mobipocket, and the image size limit is 63KB. (This is about 1000 by 700 pixels for JPEG format.)

BTW, which Kindle do you have?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
kapblp

I have the Kindle 2. There were so many graphics in the book that if I did what you suggested it would take forever and I would rather just buy it. But thanks. I will try next time I convert a book going to HTML and see if that works.