Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
' appears as a load of boxes

I know there are already posts about special characters not being displayed correctly, but this seems a bit different. I just purchased the O'reily book called "iPhone SDK" by Jonathan Zdziarski. All the letters appear as they should, but the ' get replaced by three square boxes every time. I've never had this problem with other ebooks.

The book in question is a mobi book. I can't test it on my computer as I'm using a Mac system. I've tried installing Times New Roman fonts which I transfered from my Mac system, but they have exactly the problem.

Any ideas?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe it uses a multi-byte encoding (incorrectly set up) and the curly apostrophe is the only non-ascii character...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I know there are already posts about special characters not being displayed correctly, but this seems a bit different. I just purchased the O'reily book called "iPhone SDK" by Jonathan Zdziarski. All the letters appear as they should, but the ' get replaced by three square boxes every time. I've never had this problem with other ebooks.

The book in question is a mobi book. I can't test it on my computer as I'm using a Mac system. I've tried installing Times New Roman fonts which I transfered from my Mac system, but they have exactly the problem.

Any ideas?
Try Dejavu. That font is quite famous for solving this kind of problem as it has all kinds of special symbols integrated.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you have access to a Windows PC, the "Lucida Sans Unicode" font is another one which has everything bar the kitchen sink in it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
or Code2000.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
alehel
Zealot

Hmm. The first font I tried installing, Times New Roman, went without a problem. None of the other fonts I've tried to install though have worked. They don't show up in the list. I did exactly the same as I did with Times New Roman which worked just fine. A bit stumped.

I've tried shutting down and starting the device again without luck. Might try the reset function.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Connect the Gen3 to your computer, go into the "system" folder and delete the file called ".fonts.cache-1" (if you're using a Mac this will be a hidden file because it starts in a "."). When you exit USB connectivity mode, your new fonts should be visible.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post

Any ideas?
Yes, you can. FBReader can handle Mobi, and it runs on a Mac.
http://www.fbreader.org/

You could also try calibre, but its Mobi implementation is still in beta.
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
alehel
Zealot

Tried all the dejavu fonts and none of them did the trick. Must be some formatting error.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
alehel
Zealot

Well I gave up trying to fix this and sent an email to oreilly to let them know. After just 40 min I got this reply.

Quote:
Hi Aleksander,

I have checked it out on the MobiReader for Windows and the file has the
problem you described. I let our ebook production team know about it,
so they will check into the problem and hopefully have an update for
that ebook soon!

Thanks for taking the time to let us know!
Now that's what I call customer service. I just hope the fixed version will come along soon.

Incidently, if anyone is looking for computer ebooks, oreilly is in the process of converting their library to pdf, mobi and epub. All drm-free. Apparently they currently have around 700 book available as ebooks. You can also purchase book packs were you get both the printed and the digital version for just $3 more than the price of the printed book. I really recommend them as they really seem to be taking this whole ebook thing seriously.