Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
How about an atlas?

I've always liked maps, and sometimes when reading fiction (in the real world, not fantasy) or non-fiction, I miss a map of the zone where the story is set up, so I can see where the cities, rivers, etc. are.

So... what would you think of an atlas for ebook readers? Can you produce any ideas on the format and interface? I was thinking that maybe having a world map with links (in text, below the image) to continents, then maps of continents with links to countries, and maybe links to further divisions for large countries, would be fine enough at first. The maps would not be incredibly detailed, just borders, main cities (perhaps rivers)...

Is there any project around? Source for the maps? Comments?

PS. I'm not sure I will make this, but if no one else does, I may bite the bullet.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a great idea! I'm not sure where you'd get public domain maps from, though, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the blank maps in Wikipedia, I managed to do this. Now only cities, rivers, mountains and sea names (and scale, and latitude/longitude, and compass...) are missing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Europe-color.png
Views:	656
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	24376  
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that is a brilliant idea !! i love maps as well and am constantly consulting google maps to check something... i would love to have an atlas on my liseuse. i will see if i can find any pd maps around. i can't think of any off the top of my head but you never know...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Interesting idea - though I don't know how it's going to translate into b&w.

(Just a small niggle, Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain)..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
A fact which about 1% of people who actually live in Great Britain are probably aware of, other than smart-alecs like you and me .
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hay ! Fame at last - I'm a smart-alec ......like Harry.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Believe me, I know, but according to ISO, the 2-letter code for the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) is GB (and not UK). Also, the channel islands and the Isle of Man are not part of the United Kingdom (nor of Great Britain, of course), and they are coloured yellow... that's why in the legend I'll put "United Kindom (and dependencies)". In spite of this, the CIA maps label these islands as "(U.K.)".
Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A fact which about 1% of people who actually live in Great Britain are probably aware of, other than smart-alecs like you and me .
Aren't smart-alecs part of that 1%?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Believe me, I know, but according to ISO, the 2-letter code for the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) is GB (and not UK). Also, the channel islands and the Isle of Man are not part of the United Kingdom (nor of Great Britain, of course), and they are coloured yellow... that's why in the legend I'll put "United Kindom (and dependencies)". In spite of this, the CIA maps label these islands as "(U.K.)".
That's why I say that it's one of those "technical" things that nobody actually gives too hoots about in practice. Although it is officially "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", in reality, people use "GB" and "UK" interchangeably and, as you say, the ISO country code is "GB", not "UK".

The Channel Islands are not even in the EU, by the way. No VAT there!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Aren't smart-alecs part of that 1%?
Yes. Sorry if I was unclear about that .
Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Ohhhh!

I love that idea! Very often I've wanted to look at a map, when I didn't have one handy (but I always have my PDA handy...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a great idea! I'm not sure where you'd get public domain maps from, though, I'm afraid.
I suggest you start here: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Not actually an atlas, but it does have maps of all countries:
CIA World Factbook (EPUB)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Not actually an atlas, but it does have maps of all countries:
CIA World Factbook (EPUB)
And already in ebook form for:
CIA: The World Factbook 2005 (.prc) or CIA: The World Factbook 2005 (.imp for REB1200)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote