Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
PRC Files suddenly have Invalid Kindle PID

Just tried checking out books from the public library. The PID and Igors scripts have worked fine in the past but as of today kindlefix is telling me the PID is in the wrong format. I checked my library account and the PID looks fine (asterisk and all). I tried downloading two different books and both have the same message (as I said, its worked fine in the past).

Is it possible that they are stripping the asterisk behind the scenes or doing something so it won't create a Kindle PID properly?

Last edited by Boston; 10-12-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Oddly enough, I just downloaded mobidedrm and it works when I specifiy my PID...so it seems the PID in the download is correct but Igors scripts don't think so??
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
When I run kindlefix I now get this message......

traceback (most recent call last)

File "C:\Python25\Tools\Scripts\kindlefix.py", line 1 in <module> import prc, sys. struct
Import Error no module named prc

any thoughts? Thanks........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
When I run kindlefix I now get this message......

traceback (most recent call last)

File "C:\Python25\Tools\Scripts\kindlefix.py", line 1 in <module> import prc, sys. struct
Import Error no module named prc

any thoughts? Thanks........
Make sure you have the prc.py scripts in the Scripts directory as well.

Still stumped as to why igor's kindlefix script (which worked fine before) suddenly thinks I have a bad PID but mobidedrm can find it fine

Last edited by Boston; 10-12-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Make sure you have the prc.py scripts in the Scripts directory as well.

Still stumped as to why igor's kindlefix script (which worked fine before) suddenly thinks I have a bad PID but mobidedrm can find it fine
I can't help yo with Igor's script, but maybe if you PM'd him?

And as for the prc.py script......

where do I go to make sure its there? would it be under the environmental tab, under pathex?

Just tell me where to go.........(please be kind)......
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
And as for the prc.py script......where do I go to make sure its there? would it be under the environmental tab, under pathex?

Just tell me where to go.........(please be kind)......
The prc.py script should be in the same folder as the kindlefix.py script.... or in your path. This would allow python to find it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

all right then. Went to 'downloads' file, opened Kindlefix file and this is what it showed.......

Kindlepid python file 2kb

prc python file 14 kb

Is that what it should say?
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
all right then. Went to 'downloads' file, opened Kindlefix file and this is what it showed.......

prc python file 14 kb

Sounds right. What is the current directory when you run the program? Is the folder that your files are in in the path.

BOb
Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:

prc python file 14 kb

According to your earlier post, you are running Kindlefix out of c:\Python25\Tools\Scripts. You need to copy the Prc.Py file into the same directory (as Kindlefix). The file you are converting should also reside there.

Last edited by Boston; 10-12-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Sounds like Boston and pilotbob are saying basically the same thing.

Wish I knew what it was.

when I run mobi2mobi, THAT file is in the same folder I have my 'to change' books in, on my desktop.

Thats not what you mean here, is it?

I know this should be such a simple fix. Its just understanding the language you speak. Not english, computer-eze.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
Boston
Fanatic

Do you have Windows XP?

From Windows, select Start-->Run
In the "Open" box, type: Command
Press: OK

This will open up a Dos command screen
Type: cd\
Press: <Enter>
Type: cd\Python25\Tools\Scripts (based on your message, I assume this is where you have the kindlefix script)
Type: dir

Do you see all of the following listed:
kindlefix.py
Kindlepid.py
prc.py
and the file you are trying to convert (ending with .prc)?

If not, you try moving all of these files into that folder and you can run your scripts from there. (To close the command windows, type: Exit and press <enter>

Last edited by Boston; 10-12-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sounds like Boston and pilotbob are saying basically the same thing.

Wish I knew what it was.
If you have some time tomorrow I can webex into your PC and check out what you are doing. PM me if you want to do that to set up a time. BTW: "webex" if you don't know is software that is used for one person to see and be able to control another persons PC via remote control.

BOb
Old 10-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Do you have Windows XP?

From Windows, select Start-->Run
In the "Open" box, type: Command
Press: OK

This will open up a Dos command screen
Type: cd\
Type: cd\Python25\Tools\Scripts (based on your message, I assume this is where you have the kindlefix script)
Type: dir

Do you see all of the following listed:
kindlefix.py
Kindlepid.py
prc.py
and the file you are trying to convert (ending with .prc)?

If not, you try moving all of these files into that folder and you can run your scripts from there. (To close the command windows, type: Exit and press <enter>
So, I uninstalled and re-installed and now they are all there.......command line works EXCEPT its not recognizing my PID either. Says it should be all letters ('cept for star), but mine has a number as 5th character....have pm'd Igor.....hopefully both our problems will be solved!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So, I uninstalled and re-installed and now they are all there.......command line works EXCEPT its not recognizing my PID either. Says it should be all letters ('cept for star), but mine has a number as 5th character....have pm'd Igor.....hopefully both our problems will be solved!
What says the PID should be all letters? I've never heard that. My kindle pid has a numeral in the second position.

Are you sure you have the correct PID? What I do is cut and past my Kindles S/N from the amazon web site so I don't have to worry about typos.

BOb
Old 10-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What says the PID should be all letters? I've never heard that. My kindle pid has a numeral in the second position.

Are you sure you have the correct PID? What I do is cut and past my Kindles S/N from the amazon web site so I don't have to worry about typos.

BOb
riiight......since the command said it should AAAAAAA*DD

I took it to mean all letters, numbers. Guess that isn't the problem. And I did double check the serial number even with a magnifiying glass. The only thing I"m not completely sure about are the first two 'zeros'....I"m sure they aren't "o"s..........and of course there is nothing to compare them to.. They are elongated....so used them as 'zeros'....going to Amazon now.