Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
What makes a book a "Great Book"

After having recently read the 2005 time list of 100 greatest books, I came to the conclusion that such list are more about the tastes of the contributors rather than true "greatness". Therefore, I decided to open a thread to talk what make a book "great". So pitch out your best definitions, and feel free to use Authors and Titles as examples. I hope a fine time will be had by all.

My overriding definition for a "great book" is it has to be entertaining. Books whose main purpose seems to be showing the abstruse, obscure, diction and grammar habits of an author the the expense of providing entertainment don't qualify in my book, no matter how skillfully done.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Found this in Wikipedia:

Great Books refers to a curriculum and a book list. Mortimer Adler lists three criteria for including a book on the list:

* the book has contemporary significance; that is, it has relevance to the problems and issues of our times;
* the book is inexhaustible; it can be read again and again with benefit;
* the book is relevant to a large number of the great ideas and great issues that have occupied the minds of thinking individuals for the last 25 centuries.

--(Adler, "Second Look", pg 142)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
After having recently read the 2005 time list of 100 greatest books, I came to the conclusion that such list are more about the tastes of the contributors rather than true "greatness". Therefore, I decided to open a thread to talk what make a book "great". So pitch out your best definitions, and feel free to use Authors and Titles as examples. I hope a fine time will be had by all.

My overriding definition for a "great book" is it has to be entertaining. Books whose main purpose seems to be showing the abstruse, obscure, diction and grammar habits of an author the the expense of providing entertainment don't qualify in my book, no matter how skillfully done.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
For me, a great book is one that I'm reluctant to finish because I don't want the experience to end.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
A great book is one that when you finish it, your mind is still in it and wants more.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
For me, a great work of literary fiction would mean great storytelling (the plot can be simple), a deep insight into human nature, and an excellent imagination. The storytelling has to blend seamlessly with language that is exquisite without sounding strained or contrived, and with the appropriate tone and pace to set the mood. With these elements, I think even the most far-fetched story would be believable, and the most commonplace would be remarkable.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The greatness is in your mind, not the book. It is entirely subjective in other words.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
A great book is a book that encompasses all the dreams, ideas, bias and life experience that you deem relevent within your frame of existance and does so in an entertaining and intriguing manner, such that you wish it would never end.
The Lord of the Rings comes to mind since, to me, it is the penultimate battle between good and evil and addresses, again to me, the above.
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Isn't what makes a book great kind of a subjective thing?

Sort of like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?

I mean, a book that I consider great the next person might find it one of the suckiest pieces of camelid excrement ever.

So, making up a list of "great books" is meaningless IMHO.

Last edited by Slite; 10-09-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
If you want to re-read a book and sawor the details.
It is a sign of book's greatness for me.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
For me, a great book is one that I'm reluctant to finish because I don't want the experience to end.

Dreamer
I'm with BookishDreamer on this one. I find myself deliberately reading slowly just to prolong the pleasure.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
If you want to re-read a book and sawor the details.
It is a sign of book's greatness for me.
I would agree. I think, also, that great literary works stand the test of time.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
What Makes a Great Book?

Hmm....

One which makes you want to start reading it again as soon as you finish it

One which keeps you thinking about it long after you put it down.

One that you can enjoy even if you don't enjoy the genre usually.

One you can recommend to someone who's reading habits have little in common with yours and both of you can still enjoy it.

One that even if you don't enjoy, makes you look at the world in a very different way.

One which is timeless in its essence, so is as enjoyable in 50 years as it is now.

Thats all that comes to my mind right now.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I think that a great book is:
- enjoyable
- challenges conventional thinking
- makes you fell like you are better for having read it
- makes you think about it long after you've finished it
- is complete but makes you want to re-read it.

Rohinton Mistery's "A Fine Balance" is a book that comes to mind even though it was an Oprah book of the month pick.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There are several classes of great books. (Easy for me to say.)

One class would be books that changed the world or a major part of it. Aside from books like the Bible and the Koran, I would place Darwin's Origins in this group.

The next class would be books that impacted the thought process. These would include Plato's, Augustine's, and Voltaire's works for example.

The third are books that just tell a story. Ken Kesey is a prime example of this area. Who has not read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Sometimes a Great Notion without being emotion.

The common theme here is that a great book reaches inside of you and touches something. You come out on the other end a better person.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Isn't what makes a book great kind of a subjective thing?

Sort of like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?

I mean, a book that I consider great the next person might find it one of the suckiest pieces of camelid excrement ever.

So, making up a list of "great books" is meaningless IMHO.
I think there are some authors whom it's generally agreed are "great", regardless of whether or not one personally enjoys them. I'd include in that list such authors as Plato, Shakespeare, and Dickens.

There's a difference, I think, between "great" books (in which the greatness might be said to be "inherent") and books which one personally enjoys reading. Eg, I enjoy reading "Harry Potter", but it certainly isn't "great literature". On the other hand, I also enjoy reading "The Lord of the Rings" which many people might say is, in that it was basically the origin of a whole new literary genre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote