Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #46
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
OH! Oh Wait!!! I have a birthday coming up, in two weeks ..... and it's one of the Big Number ones too.

Ya know, I probably should treat myself a little!

But not till it's closer; don't want it to arrive too soon.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #47
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
OH! Oh Wait!!! I have a birthday coming up, in two weeks ..... and it's one of the Big Number ones too.

Ya know, I probably should treat myself a little!

But not till it's closer; don't want it to arrive too soon.
Happy 29 and holding birthday.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #48
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Happy 29 and holding birthday.
;D Thank you!

For any who care: I see that Amazon US now sells the Oasis cover, all by itself. So you can change the color ... or in case your battery gives you grief or you dropped the cover in the dishwater ... $90
https://smile.amazon.com/Amazon-Kind.../dp/B015HVRUWC
Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #49
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
;D Thank you!

For any who care: I see that Amazon US now sells the Oasis cover, all by itself. So you can change the color ... or in case your battery gives you grief or you dropped the cover in the dishwater ... $90
https://smile.amazon.com/Amazon-Kind.../dp/B015HVRUWC
In practice they have to do this for people who have guarantees but manage, like I did, to waste both the cover and the Oasis in the same accident. The guarantee only covers the device...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #50
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've been tempted by the Oasis. I tried it out in the Amazon Bookstore and really liked the feel of it and the buttons. If they added more memory and a home and menu button I might go ahead and buy. My Kindle keyboard is still going strong though so I'll probably wait until it goes, the oasis drops in price or adds the additional features I want. For now I'd rather the 60 books I could buy instead for the same money.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #51
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I've been tempted by the Oasis. I tried it out in the Amazon Bookstore and really liked the feel of it and the buttons. If they added more memory and a home and menu button I might go ahead and buy. My Kindle keyboard is still going strong though so I'll probably wait until it goes, the oasis drops in price or adds the additional features I want. For now I'd rather the 60 books I could buy instead for the same money.
The menu button is "touch the top third of the screen": it's a huge button, it's just not labelled. The home button is "touch the top of the screen, then the home button that appears". Adding dedicated hardware buttons for such relatively rarely used functions would probably be a bad design idea: it's not a problem to use both hands for the occasions when you do that. (Dedicated hardware buttons for turning pages are obviously quite different, since turning pages is such a frequent operation for an e-reader.)

Not sure why more memory is important. More flash might be nice, but it just had a doubling a generation or two ago (to 4GiB, ~2.6GiB available).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #52
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I HATE the tablet interface in every device. The less tablet like a device is the better I like it. As for the memory I keep all my books on my kindle and never turn on whispernet at all. So I need room for future expansion of my library.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #53
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I merely envy those with an Oasis. I have a Voyage and warmed up to it (and love it now), but my budget and eye health issues simply say no to the Oasis. sniff.

As to covers, I never had covers until I got a Voyage. I had sleeves to protect my ereader in my purse because I just hated the extra weight when reading. I bought my Mom a magnetic cover for her Paperwhite and I really appreciated the power savings that created. So, when I got the Voyage, I was able to get a nice THIN AND LIGHT magnetic cover for it and I'm pretty happy with that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I merely envy those with an Oasis. I have a Voyage and warmed up to it (and love it now), but my budget and eye health issues simply say no to the Oasis. sniff.

As to covers, I never had covers until I got a Voyage. I had sleeves to protect my ereader in my purse because I just hated the extra weight when reading. I bought my Mom a magnetic cover for her Paperwhite and I really appreciated the power savings that created. So, when I got the Voyage, I was able to get a nice THIN AND LIGHT magnetic cover for it and I'm pretty happy with that.
If your eye health issues cause you to need larger text, I suggest you go with a Reader that has a larger than 6" screen and hyphenates without the need for a special format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #55
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
It's hard for me to say get an Oasis if you have a Voyage. It's going to be a similar experience, just in a smaller package. But for me...going to it from a Kindle Keyboard? Sheesh; what a difference!

-HM
That's good to know because I have a Kindle Keyboard which works really well and there is nothing really wrong with it. I've had it for 7 years and I read a lot. But I'm looking at upgrading to an Oasis (and I live in Canada so it's REALLY expensive) so I want to make sure it's worth the upgrade. Page turn buttons are a deal breaker for me which is why I didn't go for the Paperwhite.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #56
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
That's good to know because I have a Kindle Keyboard which works really well and there is nothing really wrong with it. I've had it for 7 years and I read a lot. But I'm looking at upgrading to an Oasis (and I live in Canada so it's REALLY expensive) so I want to make sure it's worth the upgrade. Page turn buttons are a deal breaker for me which is why I didn't go for the Paperwhite.
The font is a lot better on these newer devices, plus the front light, which, if adjusted properly, makes the thing look more like a printed page.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #57
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
The font is a lot better on these newer devices, plus the front light, which, if adjusted properly, makes the thing look more like a printed page.

-HM
Yes I want the better screen, no bevel, and the light. And I think the page response time is better on the new device? The KK is a bit slow. It's nothing horrible; I just notice it at times.

Like I said the Kindle Keyboard is fine but I do read a lot and I think it's time to treat myself.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #58
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
Yes I want the better screen, no bevel, and the light. And I think the page response time is better on the new device? The KK is a bit slow. It's nothing horrible; I just notice it at times.

Like I said the Kindle Keyboard is fine but I do read a lot and I think it's time to treat myself.
The response time on the Oasis is snappier than the Kindle Keyboard.

If you read a lot, it's a significant improvement over the older devices.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #59
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
$90 for a case
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #60
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
$90 for a case
Since you are talking about the spare case for the Oasis (that I mentioned), you MUST include the fact that it's 75% of the Oasis's battery capacity, too. [I forget the actual percentage.] The Oasis itself has a small battery, so it is lightweight, for arthritic hands or such. When you set it down, you set it into the case, to recharge the smaller battery.

So, it's $90 for a battery, not just for a case.