Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-22-2017, 01:50 AM   #316
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
History of Dogma, Volume 1 by Adolf Harnack is free (kindle edition).
https://www.amazon.com/History-Dogma...in%3A618073011
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:04 AM   #317
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
History of Dogma, Volume 1 by Adolf Harnack is free (kindle edition).
https://www.amazon.com/History-Dogma...in%3A618073011
Thanks.

Volume 2 is free, also.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #318
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Thanks.

Volume 2 is free, also.
Not free in UK but out of copyright

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/8782
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #319
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FREE Book Arguing Against the Use of "Jehovah" in the New Testament.

It's been a little while since I've made a post of this certain kind of book--a free book, usually available only in the PDF, self-published, often not sold (if not free) in bookstores, etc.

The book gets technical at points. However, the publisher assures us that "a knowledge of Hebrew and Greek is not necessary to read our books," but tells us to be aware that "there are many illustrations which use Hebrew and Greek fonts." I think that anyone who would have an interest in this kind of book would be able to at least pick their way through it, and comprehend at least the basic points that the book makes.

The Old Testament was written primarily in Hebrew. The Tetragrammaton is the name of God in the Hebrew language. The transliteration is YHWH or JHVH (the basis for "Jehovah" in the Old Testament in the King James Version). The New Testament was written almost entirely in Greek. This book takes issue with the fact that the Jehovah's Witnesses denomination, in their New World Interlinear of the Greek New Testament uses the Hebrew tetragrammaton 237 times, that being reflected in their use of "Jehovah" in the New World Translation of the New Testament). I have not read this book, but I know that it refutes that, and argues that it is improper, to say the very least.

Title: The Tetragrammaton and the Christian Greek Scriptures (Second edition, 1998).
Format(s): PDF.
Author(s): None stated.
Publisher: Word Resources, Inc. (Portland, Oregon)
Pages: xiv + 224.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): 4.00 stars, but from only 3 reviews.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at (or through Amazon) if available from there: $13.98 shipped; Paperback (Used - Good).
Book Description (from the publisher):
This 360-page book is the most comprehensive study of the Tetragrammaton and the Christian Greek Scriptures available today, as it evaluates early Greek manuscripts and related historic documents. The book includes an exhaustive study of the 237 Jehovah references from the Kingdom Interlinear Translation, a complete explanation of the Jehovah footnote references in the Kingdom Interlinear Translation, a fascinating review of the writings of the patristics (church fathers) and their awareness of the divine name, and a wealth of appendix information related to the divine name and the Christian Greek Scriptures.
Comments: I believe this to be a legal free download, due to the fact that the publisher has offered it on their website (http://www.tetragrammaton.org/copybooks.html) as a free download.
URL: http://www.tetragrammaton.org/tetra.pdf (direct link).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-26-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #320
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

92% Off of The Baker Compact Bible Dictionary--Now Only 99 Cents! Wow!

"The Compact Bible Dictionary is a shorter version composed of the most important entries from the much larger Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary."

Folks, ratings for this exact book are scarce. I'm throwing my ratings requirement out the window on this one. Just one of several reasons is that the book from which the entries in this compact Bible dictionary were taken, The Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary, has 4.7 stars, from 27 reviews at Amazon. And this book is the #1 seller in one category in the regular Amazon bookstore, and the #1 seller in one category in the Kindle store.

One thing that I make sure to check before buying a Bible reference book like this is the date that the book was published. Because of archaeological discoveries related to the Bible and other things, a Bible dictionary can pretty quickly become out of date. This one was published just over two years ago; however, since the entries in this book were taken from The Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary, I think that the publication date of it is a better gauge--it was published just over three years ago. I consider that very acceptable.

It may be "compact," but it is still almost 400 pages long!

This deal is supposed to be good through January 28.

The Baker Compact Bible Dictionary. Rated 4.5 stars, but from only 2 reviews at the present moment; no ratings for it at GoodReads. Print list price $12.99; digital list price $12.99; Kindle price now $0.99. Baker Books, publisher. 386 pages. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHXRHM8/.

Book Description
What do you do when you need a quick, compact, and convenient resource for helping you understand biblical books, people, places, imagery, or topics? Now readers can turn to The Baker Compact Bible Dictionary. It provides students of the Bible with quick access to the essential information needed to read the Bible with increased understanding and confidence.

Carefully selected and abridged from
The Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary, this dictionary is truly portable, yet packed with more than 1,000 clear and accurate entries that draw on up-to-date evangelical scholarship in biblical studies, archaeology, geography, history, and theology. For anyone who studies the Bible, this little dictionary will prove to be a trove of information to aid in personal study and in preparation for teaching.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-22-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Advert
Old 01-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #321
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Reference is made to my post, #313, on this thread.

I stated in that post that the book Sepphoris: Crosscurrents of Culture had been digitized and was available on the Internet Archive.

Today, I learned that that same book is also available directly from the North Carolina Museum of Art History and/or the State Library of North Carolina and/or the State Archives of North Carolina--anyway, one or more public/government agencies of the State of North Carolina. You can find the book at this webpage.

Note that I said "that same book." I know that it was digitized from the exact same copy of the book, but I don't know if the same person or organization was responsible for the digitization. The upshot is, one of the digital versions may be better than the other one. This could be due to the quality of the digitization equipment, care taken by the people doing the digitization, and perhaps a number of other factors. If you want the best possible digital copy, you would want to compare the two. It appears (it may be just my imagination, I dunno) that the copy that I just learned about is of a better quality. BTW--that copy is available only as a PDF.

Both of the copies are going to be highly readable, so there's no problem there. But there are a number of color photographs which may be noticeably better in one copy than another. One particular type of item in which you might appreciate the highest quality copy possible is the color photographs of mosaics found at Sepphoris (I don't know for sure, but those mosaics probably come from a period of time later than Jesus lived; but some of you would appreciate them simply for their aesthetic qualities--they are beautiful).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-25-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #322
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

NINE FREE Booklets, and Other Materials, from Rose Publishing.

Got an email from the Biblical Archaeology Society offering a free ebook. They have some free ebooks that they have published themselves, and they occasionally come out with a new one. I thought that that might be what the email was about, but it wasn't. They were telling about a free download from Rose Publishing (if I had to guess, I would say that Rose is using BAR's mailing list to do some of their advertising).

Anyway, the free download offer, which is good "for this week only," is for Rose Publishing's The Gospels: "Lost" & Found, by Timothy Paul Jones. Now if you get on Rose Publishing's mailing list, they will offer you a free booklet or chart every couple of weeks or so. These are actually excerpts of larger works, however. They're nice, both in content and graphics. This 19-page booklet, also, seems to be an excerpt from a larger work.

Even though I am on both BAR's and Rose Publishing's mailing list, and I noticed (after the fact) that there was something about the free download being for new subscribers or something like that, I was still able to download this booklet. I probably already have the booklet, because I've gotten a lot of freebies from Rose Publishing over the years as well as bought a bunch of products from them, too; but, I just didn't feel like rummaging in, and searching through, my hard drive to see if it was there--I just downloaded it (again).

When I got to the Rose Publishing download page for the free booklet, I received a pleasant surprise: they actually have 8 more freebies that you can download also. I'm assuming that the booklets, and possibly the wall charts and such, are excerpts like I mentioned above.

Here are the other freebies:
- Old and New Testament Maps
- Comparison of Three Denominations
- 1 Corinthians 13
- Books of the Bible
- Christianity and Jehovah's Witnesses
- Armor of God
- Feasts of the Bible
- Christianity and Mormonism

I was able to download the one booklet from the email message that I received, and did so. However, you can do that (and download the other 8 ones, too, I assume), too, but by going to this webpage and clicking on the dark blue "Download eCharts" button.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-26-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #323
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Christian Anarchy: Jesus' Primacy Over the Powers by Vernard Eller is free (all formats)
https://archive.org/details/ChristianAnarchy
Old 02-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #324
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Christian Anarchy: Jesus' Primacy Over the Powers by Vernard Eller is free (all formats)
Looks like a great find--well-known, quality publisher of books for Christians (Eerdmans), fairly recent date (1987--very recent as far as copyrights are concerned). Thanks.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-04-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #325
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

H. Norman Wright's Bringing Out the Best in Your Husband--Now 93% Off!

This is a modern classic on the subject, that's been around "forever." So, because of that, if nothing else, it must be good. The stratospheric ratings confirm it. The author, H. Norman Wright, is an expert and prolific writer on marriage and other relationships.

Frankly, being the bargain-hunter that I am, the main reason that I'm posting it right now is because you can buy the Kindle ebook for only 7% of the digital list price. If you don't have it, this would be a good time to grab it.

It's "faith-based."

Bringing Out the Best in Your Husband: Encourage Your Spouse and Experience the Relationship You've Always Wanted. [Reprint Edition]. H. Norman Wright. Rated 5.0 stars, but from only 8 reviews at Amazon; rated 4.11, but from only 18 ratings at GoodReads. Print list price N/A; digital list price $14.99; Kindle $0.99. Bethany House Publishers, publisher. 208 pages. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LA9GH8Y/.

Book Description
Bookstore shelves are full of titles that tell women how to get what they want out of their man. But affectionate, long-lasting relationships thrive when the tables are turned--when each spouse focuses on giving, not getting.
Bringing Out the Best in Your Husband delivers biblical and practical proven ways to encourage the man in every reader's life. This new book from bestselling author H. Norman Wright is packed with stories from wives struggling to understand their husbands' needs and desires; every woman will see herself and her marriage reflected in these deeply personal accounts. Readers will also hear the other side of the story: Men share the ups and downs of their marriage experiences and reveal the secret longings of their hearts. Every principle is presented with a true-to-life story so that wives can see the effects of encouragement, prayer, romance, and inspiration on marriages just like theirs. Based on his experience counseling thousands of couples over more than 40 years, Dr. Wright shows how great an impact spouses have on one another and how to turn that impact into a loving, joy-filled marriage that stands the test of time.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-12-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #326
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

17 Esteemed Scientists Talk about How Faith Affects View of Science, and Vice Versa.

In an ebook, for only $1.49, with a possibility of saving an additional $0.30. The minimum markdown from the regular digital price is 90%!

Try as I might, I couldn't get a minimum of 20 reviews to come up enough to satisfy my self-imposed rule that an ebook must have before I post it. Besides Amazon, and GoodReads, I looked at Christianbook.com, Kobo, Nook, and maybe another place. I genuinely feel bad about that, because I think that 20 is a bare minimum to get valid results. Anyway, the ones that I have (15) average out to be very strong.

Real Scientists, Real Faith: 17 leading scientists reveal the harmony between their science and their faith. Rated 5.0 stars, but from only 4 reviews at Amazon; rated 4.00, but from only 11 ratings at GoodReads. Print list price $14.99; regular(?) digital price $14.24; Kindle price now $1.49. Monarch Books, publisher. 288 pages. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AF7QIX6/.

Save $0.30 by getting the ePub at Christianbook.com, bringing the markdown up to 92% and the price down to $1.19.

Book Description
The science / faith debate rages on. Yet many leading scientists have an active Christian faith. Here 17 scientists, all esteemed by their peers, tackle two questions: What difference their faith makes to their scientific practice; and What difference their science makes to their understanding of their faith.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-13-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #327
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Fill Out a Survey, Get a "FREE" Copy of John Piper's This Momentary Marriage.

Get a free copy (or copies, if you choose to download more than one format) of John Piper's This Momentary Marriage. This ebook comes courtesy of the publisher Crossway.

The ebook is about 190-195 pages long. To get the "free" ebook, you must fill out a "brief survey." This particular survey takes more thinking to honestly and accurately complete than a lot that we've come across; at least it did for me. You had better count on spending about 15 minutes on it.

I mentioned that you would be able to download more than one format. Those are mobi, ePub, and PDF.

This webpage tells you probably everything else that you need to know.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #328
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
The "Mark: The Humanity of Christ" volume of John MacArthur's Bible Studies series is free as a PDF in exchange for giving Thomas Nelson your email address.

Link

After entering your email address, you'll be emailed a link good for five download attempts.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #329
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Eller was influenced by Ellul which has the current ebook free in all formats.

https://archive.org/details/ThePrese...omJacquesEllul

Quote:
The Presence of the Kingdom, Jacques Ellul.

In The Presence of the Kingdom, Jacques Ellul says that "the Christian should neither withdraw from the world, nor be lost in the midst of the world. Instead, the Christian should bring the reign of God and the world into collision."

Contrary to advocating withdrawal from the world or urging a lifeboat, Ellul challenges us to embrace and preserve the world. God alone will effect our separation in hi own time. This resolute engagement requires a dialectical and antagonistic style of life which remain very much in the world even as it rejects worldliness. To be in the world also requires us to understand it in both its material and spiritual aspects, a task Ellul has undertaken in his sociological and theological works and which he challenges us to better. By rejecting the twin perils of spiritualization (which neglect material realities) and capitulation (which simply adopts one of the world's many different options that appears to harmonize with Christianity), the Christian plays a truly creative role and gives meaning and direction to history, which otherwise has no logic or certitude.

Authentic Christian existence trusts in the power of the Holy Spirit to give our "presence" a revolution and explosive force in history.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #330
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Eller was influenced by Ellul which has the current ebook free in all formats.

https://archive.org/details/ThePrese...omJacquesEllul
All that I could see, in the preview, was the Introduction. Worth downloading for me, for informative purposes, since I don't ever remember hearing of Jacques Ellul or the book before.

I'll try to look around some more (I've already done some looking) to see if the full book is available anywhere for free.

Oh, another question that I had was about the tiny size of the text. I haven't downloaded any of it, yet, and am wondering if a downloaded copy with be full size, or tiny like the preview.

Thanks for your post.