Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
A feature that lets you stream music and videos from any computer on the same WiFi network running iTunes. It's been part of iOS and iTunes for years.
Thanks. That's not a feature I was aware of!

Presumably it still works OK from iTunes?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've read speculation that it's possible that Apple doesn’t have the rights to allow content obtained via Apple Music to be streamed over WiFi like Home Sharing requires.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You think it's awful that Apple have integrated audiobooks into iBooks, or you don't like the sound (no pun intended) of how the integration has been done?
I preferred it to be in itunes Love the pun
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #19
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I updated after establishing that Stanza still works in a half hearted way.

Does anyone know how/where you download audiobooks you previously purchased via itunes? I bought a few and none are showing up in either Music or iBooks. I do still have them on the computer, but I was curious about how they would be managed.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I may be wrong, but I believe you have to download them in iTunes and then sync them with iBooks on your phone via iTunes. I don't think they can be downloaded directly on the phone.
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #21
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I believe you have to download them in iTunes and then sync them with iBooks on your phone via iTunes. I don't think they can be downloaded directly on the phone.
Thanks, Harry. IN anticipation of this, I have just attempted to sync a previously purchased a-book... and it isnt showing in iBooks at all. That's where it's supposed to land, isn't it?

[edit] never mind, tried again *after I had updated a) my OSX and b) iTunes. Seems that no audiobook stuff was functioning properly until all updates were complete. All books now present and correct as per usual. I'm not minding quite so much, since audiobooks remain sort of separate in computer based itunes.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 07-02-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #22
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
I may check out the three month free Apple Music trial. At least I'll have a much larger music library to choose from this summer��
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #23
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
A feature that lets you stream music and videos from any computer on the same WiFi network running iTunes. It's been part of iOS and iTunes for years.
Thank you VERY much! I've had my iPad mini for over two years and didn't know this feature existed.

I'm frozen at iTunes 11.1.5.5 because I'm running Windows Vista and get an iTunes
"Data Execution Prevention Error" with newer iTunes versions; 11.1.5.5 does not support iOS 8.x. Looks like being frozen isn't bad at all!

Marty

Last edited by MartyTX; 07-03-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: clarification
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I played around with the audiobooks as part of iBook a bit. The good news is that you can organize audio books in various categories and put them in a manual order. Audiobook support has been spotty since they went with Music Match. Using iBooks, I can get more or less what I had via playlists without Music Match. (If you have Music Match turned on, then your audiobook playlists disappear).

The downside is that it's still not suitable for use in the car where I want it to automatically progress to the next book when a book ends.

The odd thing is that it's still part of iTunes on the computer, but part of iBook on the iPhone/iPad/iTouch. I have no idea how you can organize the audiobooks on the computer and have that organization reflected on your iDevice.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard

I'm just really puzzled at some of the changes. It seems to me that they have been made, just because they can be made. There seems to be no logic. I have no interest in Apple Music and if Apple keeps going the way it is currently, I can see a time when there won't be an option. Thats probably when I will bail out and revert to older phones and devices. As of this moment, I am probably on my last "upgrade" for all that I currently own. I used to love the updates... last couple of years, not so much. I wonder how my old Macbook would like being a LInux machine...
Old 07-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I do think the music app is an improvement even if, like me, you only use it for your own music.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I do think the music app is an improvement even if, like me, you only use it for your own music.
Yes, thats all it will ever be used for.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #28
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
There is a bug right now that doesn't follow your "omit from shuffle" setting on iTunes. And, you now can't shuffle an artist without having to click on the icon (not the text), and then hitting the shuffle button there.

Little things of course, but you know... I use those things!

It only shows you 20 of your "Up Next" songs too. It has to "redraw" when you rearrange stuff aswell.

Nice changes overall though. I am enjoying the custom images for playlists in particular. You can set one for folders, and even the Genius playlists (I have mine set to the song's album cover instead of the collage of what's inside the list). So while it's overwhelming, it's a lot more special. Would have loved that in iBooks though.

Have no interest in Apple Music either. I've tried all these services, and I either don't find myself using them, or I end up stuck in a few albums/playlists.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I'm trying Apple Music for the 3 month trial. Hey, it's free. The three big issues for me with streaming music are 1) Song availability. It doesn't do a lot of good if they don't have music that I want to listen to, but don't already have (just as a note, I have been listening to some older artists such as the Flying Burrito Brothers). On the flip side, they don't seem to have either of the top versions of Homeward Bound (The Marta Keen song). They also have limited songs from artists that I like such as the Waifs.

2) Since I generally listen at work where I don't have wifi, it eats into my data plan. Ever since I lost my unlimited data plan, my Pandora usage has dropped quite a bit.

3) I like owning the music that I listen to. My music library is roughly 85 gigs, all music that I purchased. If I hear a song and say "Hey I like that", then I buy it. I tend to use Pandora to find music and as back ground music, but I have also bought a number of songs via Pandora. I currently find most of my music via Pandora and Shazam (hear the song, say Hey, I like that, and use Shazam to identify and buy.)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #30
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
2) Since I generally listen at work where I don't have wifi, it eats into my data plan. Ever since I lost my unlimited data plan, my Pandora usage has dropped quite a bit.
This is why I love T-Mobile: unlimited music streaming from all the major services.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote