Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Automatically syncing with Calibre Library over WiFi

Hello, last year I started looking into this, but got sidetracked and it fell off my radar.

The ultimate goal of my task is, if I have a script running that updates books in kindle library ( like when new chapters of fanfiction are added, it adds to end of mobi, instead of new document ), then the file would be replaced on the kindle, instead of having two documents with same name.

My original post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210219

twobob provides the basic summary of

1. Jailbreak the kindle.
2. Attach a Shell script to the wake-up event.
3. Shell script calls rsync or whatever I want.

Based on this, I have found two other threads that point in the right directions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-120350.html
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101847

But on both of those, there's no confirmation from OP that they got it working.

I also found this: Kindle Store Proxy
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174403

Which was really interesting, but abandoned in 2012.
You jailbreak kindle, and have it point to your own server, and if you have the book, it serves it from there, otherwise it passes requests to amazon.

So, 2 questions.
1. Does anyone have a link to a confirmed working version of sync on wi-fi up?
2. Does anyone know of a modern version of Kindle Store Proxy, that works with Paperwhite if I decide to upgrade.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did find some new info
1. Kindle 3g does not support the post-up command in /etc/network/interfaces: you have to use "up"

2. when running there, there is no path:
Code:
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        up /etc/network/if-post-up.d/stora >> /mnt/us/documents/test.txt
results in
Code:
tail -f /mnt/us/documents/test.txt
METHOD=dhcp
MODE=start
ADDRFAM=inet
PATH=
IFACE=wlan0
PWD=/
=== So here is what I have working

Code:
[root@kindle network]# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# Configure Loopback
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp

iface bnep0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        up /etc/network/if-post-up.d/stora >> /mnt/us/documents/test.txt

And my script
Code:
[root@kindle network]# cat /etc/network/if-post-up.d/stora
#!/bin/sh +x

if [[ -z "$PATH" ]]; then
        PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
else
        PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
fi

if [[ "$IFACE" != "wlan0" ]]; then
        echo "Skipping $IFACE"
        return 0;
fi
env
echo "Woo"
return 0;

Now I need to get a way to extract some Unique ID out of my books in teh documents folder, and send them to my fileserver

And I need a reliable way to connect to my server, because dns isn't available when the if-up script runs.

Last edited by coplate; 03-21-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
coplate
Guru

As I said in original post, my goal is to be able to update a book in calibre, and have this ID remain the same. I could use the filename, but I might prefer to use a move exth header, if anyone knows if kindle has a program installed that can read them?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@coplate: If you know the path/filename, you can get the ASIN from the catalog db (/var/local/cc.db) w/ a simple sql request through sqlite3.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@coplate: If you know the path/filename, you can get the ASIN from the catalog db (/var/local/cc.db) w/ a simple sql request through sqlite3.
My kindle 3 doesn't seem to have that file.

Cold that be something new in kindle 4?
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@coplate: FW 5.x actually, my bad.

I guess that leaves you with gutting the relevant part of a Python script like KindleUnpack to read the exth headers of a file.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, kindle, sync, wifi