Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
copying photos from iPad 1 to computer

On my Dad's old iPad 1, there are a couple of photo albums in the Photos icon. I want to copy them to a memory stick or computer before I re-register his iPad into my name.

I connected the iPad to the computer, and opened Windows Explorer to see what was on the iPaD. i found photos that had been saved from emails, but not any of the other collections. Many of these are old family photos that I'd hate to lose.

I connected the iPad to iTunes, and found the photos section, but found no way to copy them to the computer.

Apple's lack of transparency in things like this is driving me nuts. I'm sure it will continue to do so until I learn the givens and names Apple has for things that I wouldn't expect, being a Windows girl.

Also: my dad has a collection of news-related apps in a "NEWS" icon (folder? collectino?). Can someone tell me how to get other apps into that collection from the home page?

Thanks so much!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Pictures...

Go to the album, select EDIT in upper right corner, select photos you want, a blue check mark will show up when selected, select SHARE in upper left corner and email them to yourself.

News apps...

Touch the collection to expand and show all the apps under News. Touch one and hold until all apps begin to wiggle. Press the X to delete or touch the app and drag them out of the collection onto another part of the screen.

Last edited by david_e; 03-27-2013 at 03:00 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've got over 100 pictures so emailing them to myself would be painful. There's got to be an easier way.

I don't want to remove items from a group, I want to add them.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Not a windows user, but in iTunes there are options for you to select what items sync when the iPad is connected - perhaps you're not set up to sync photos?

Apple support document on the process here:- http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083

Also, Apple support docs for 'iPad Essentials' might be worth a read, if you're new to the system:- http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/essentials/

Re. your News folder; tap and hold the App (icon) you want to move - they'll all start to 'wiggle' and when they do you can drag the app onto the News folder and it will be added to it when you let go. If you drag one app on top of another a folder will be created for you; iOS will have a stab at naming the folder for you, based on what apps are in it, though you can change this, obviously.

When you're done moving Apps around, a single click on the home button will stop all the wiggling, and lock everything back in place.

A word of warning; whilst the Apps are wiggling and movable, you can also delete them - there's a 'X' top left of each App's icon, so just take care when you're moving stuff around...

HTH Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
If you connect your iPad to your computer via USB, you should see a pop-up telling you a new device has been connected and asking what do you want to do with it. Select Open in file manager, and you will be able to access the photos and videos on your iPad.

If the pop-up doesn't appear, try clicking on My Computer to see the iPad on the drive list.

Oops, sorry, you tried that already I see.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I'm not at home so I can't really test this, but you could try the following:

Open your photo album and press the Edit button. Select your photos and press Send. If you see an option to add to photo album, select this. Possibly this could make your photos visible in the Windows explorer. Just guessing though.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
This is a feature that is oddly asymmetrical about iPads. Apple's "camera connection kit" makes it a breeze to load photos from a memory card onto an iPad. But no reverse feature is supported to offload from the iPad to a memory card or, say, a portable hard drive.

E-mailing seems to be the most common method to get photos off. Keep in mind you don't need an e-mail for every photo. Depending on their size you can e-mail, say, ten attached to one e-mail.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
I believe any ipod, iphone, ipad device when connected in windows will prompt just like a usb memory device (camera, or usb memory stick) and prompt to pull the pictures out of the device.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
iExplorer can take care of files the way iOS does not want to. The application is available on Mac and Windows and is free. Good luck!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote