Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #121
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Google Chromebook availability

What's the availability?
Can it already be purchased? If so, in significant quantities?
Or are the units you see in Ebay entirely from the Google conference and not from the "open market"?

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-26-2013 at 10:43 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #122
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Storage

One terabyte Google Drive cloud storage for three years1
32GB solid state drive (64GB on LTE model)2

Only 32GB on-board storage? Way too dependent on a reliable internet connection to be of use to me, and no way am I paying for a mobile data plan.

Pass.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #123
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
...No point in something that powerful for just webapps.
I just bought mine via eBay.
For most users, you're probably right.
When I look at travelers on the train, they watch movies, play games, do office stuff or read on their tablet/ultrabooks/notebooks.
For the majority of those users, Google Chromebook probably wouldn't be up to the task.
But my personal demands are entirely different:
a.) I spend hours in the web, every single day. I mainly use my tablets for surfing while on the couch.
b.) I rarely play games. And only casual stuff, Plants vs. Zombies or Sudoku or other resource-friendly games. I've tested Plants vs. Zombies in Chrome on Microsoft Surface Pro: Working fine.
c.) I may not need the power of Chromebook Pixel. But I certainly want the style and touch & feel. I wouldn't buy the Samsung or Acer Chromebooks for € 400.
d.) When I saw Chromebook Pixel for € 1.750 in Amazon.de, I was stunned and shocked. But I got my WiFi-only (LTE seems to be bound to Verizon and probably won't work in Germany) 32GB model for $ 1000. Including shipment and customs, I'll end up around the list price of $ 1250 = € 950. That's no bargain, but on par with my Dell Latitude 10, Microsoft Surface Pro or iPad. I'm pretty sure, I'll spend the same amount of time and will have the same fun as with those units.
e.) Even if lots of tasks only will work while being online, I don't consider this a problem. I'm mainly using my tablets/notebooks on the couch, the train and in hotels. Usually, there's WiFi available, in the worst case I always have my MiFi with me. Maybe there's even a way to make my surfstick work?
f.) Over time, there certainly will be options available, making use of the power Chromebook Pixel has to offer. Maybe Bluestacks will be available?

EDIT: My Google Chromebook Pixel already arrived at Cologne Airport.
I should have it tomorrow, May 6th or at the latest Friday, May 7th.
I'm really curious about the build quality.
I'll post my impressions (hopefully) at the latest on the weekend.

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #124
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Only 32GB on-board storage? Way too dependent on a reliable internet connection to be of use to me, and no way am I paying for a mobile data plan.

Pass.
I don't mind the 32GB, it has an SD slot.
For my personal usage patterns, internet connection rarely is a problem.
On my couch and in hotels it's never a problem. On the train, most of the time I have WiFi as well.
I've got a MiFi with me anyway and I could use my 2 smartphones as mobile hotspots.
But I'm pretty sure anyway, that lots of tasks will work offline as well.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #125
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I have the Samsung chrome book. Its great as a second laptop and good for taking out and about to do work, browsing etc. However I'd never buy the pixel. Its too expensive for what it can do. Even a laptop for half its price would be better.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #126
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I am liking the brand new 14" HP Chromebook.
It says it can be 16 or 32GB but gives no options or costs for buying.
It has 2GB Ram but no info on increasing.

Has Ethernet port for router hook up if need, and HDMI plus 3 USB2 (not USB3).
I don't think it has a card slot.
The pixels are about 1300 or so.
I will wait for the reviews and more info.

Price for what I said is $329, [assume 16GB]

Also how easy to make it dual boot Ubuntu?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #127
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Has Ethernet port for router hook up if need, and HDMI plus 3 USB2 (not USB3).
I don't think it has a card slot.
The pixels are about 1300 or so.
I will wait for the reviews and more info.

Price for what I said is $329, [assume 16GB]

Here's the website with specs and reviews. Currently on sale for $300 from HP.
  • 2GB RAM --> upgradeable to 4GB
  • 16GB SSD
  • SD Card Slot
  • 14" Display: 1366 x 768 = 112 PPI
  • Battery: about 4.2 hours
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #128
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
  • 16GB SSD
  • SD Card Slot
4lbs.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #129
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

$290 at Amazon plus I get my 3% back and no sales tax.

The real question is the cost of HP with 4GB RAM and 32GB SSD!
I never buy a minimal machine.

Acer has a 4GB C7 for about $259 with a 320GB HDD plus a fan.

Another question, does the HP have a fan.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #130
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
  • 16GB SSD
  • SD Card Slot
$308 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7HW5YE
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #131
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
...who in their right mind will pay this much for browser.
I've done similar calculations quite a few times, but I'll briefly repeat it:

I'm on the way to the cinema (The great Gatsby) now.
The ticket was € 11. With a coke and Nachos, I'll end up around € 20.
€ 20 for 2.5 hours = € 8 per hour.

Now for comparison:

My Google Chromebook Pixel with 32GB after customs and such will be ca. € 950.
I'll use it ca. 18 months, at least 2 hours per day. That's ca. 1000 hours of usage. So I end up with slightly above € 1 per hour, after buying some software.
That's way cheaper than cinema.
Drastically cheaper than vacation.
Enormously cheaper than going to a restaurant.

Meaning:
Yes, no one will shell out € 1000 spontaneously without thinking about it.
But, given the amount of time you'll spend using it, it's one of the cheaper hobbies available.

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #132
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just recently came upon this thread, as I am contemplating a computer purchase. I view the Chrome devices very positively. Although they are designed to be used online, you do not have to use them on the net. Many of the apps work offline. They also have removable media storage, so there is no limit on storage space.

The pixel is not nearly as inexpensive as the other chromebooks, but it is a much different device. A touchscreen laptop will set you back $600. Most of them run closer to $1,000. However, those devices do not have as high a resolution screen. I do not think that the price is totally out of line, given the high res touch screen.

I think that Google has a buyer in mind: someone who wants to work online, and consume media through the computer. Such an individual would probably value the security of the operating system, and the high quality screen.

You only get one set of eyes and thus I value high quality screens.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #133
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
...I think that Google has a buyer in mind...
Quite frankly, I consider Google Chromebook Pixel -similar to Microsoft Surface Pro- more a case study than an aggressively marketed product.
I don't think, Microsoft or Google actually believe in huge sales figures.
It probably only lays the ground for other products.

In Google's case, one of the main arguments against Chromebooks in the past probably was "cheap" and "not stylish/cool". So Google with their own product line demonstrates, Chromebooks very well can be stylish and cool.

Maybe similar to the automotive industry. BMW, Mercedes, Audi and the likes still make their main profits with their "classic" business of limousines. But they offer cheaper, family-friendly series as well. So they can appeal to all kinds of customers.

As an early adopter, I love the concept of Chromebook Pixel.
But I don't expect, seeing many of those on the train or in hotels...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #134
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I never buy a minimal machine.
Dell has a nice ultrabook with Ubuntu pre-installed with working drivers for all hardware. The patches to make the hardware work have been submitted and accepted upstream, so eventually everything should work for all linux distributions and the impatient can get hold of the source code and roll their own.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3537U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
8GB DDR3L 1600
256GB Solid State hard drive
13.3" FHD 1080p
2.99lbs (1.36kg)
Height: 0.24-0.71” (6-18mm) / Width: 12.4” (316mm) / Depth 8.1” (205mm)

Last edited by j.p.s; 06-02-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: fixed typo "a hardware" to "all hardware"
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #135
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Dell has a nice ultrabook with Ubuntu pre-installed with working drivers for all hardware. The patches to make the hardware work have been submitted and accepted upstream, so eventually everything should work for all linux distributions and the impatient can get hold of the source code and roll their own.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3537U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
8GB DDR3L 1600
256GB Solid State hard drive
13.3" FHD 1080p
2.99lbs (1.36kg)
Height: 0.24-0.71” (6-18mm) / Width: 12.4” (316mm) / Depth 8.1” (205mm)
There are so many possibilities. Like a candy store.

Any piece I want, but only 1.

I want to taste the flavor of a Chromebook, but with the backup possibility of Ubuntu.

My current personal (call it) net-book is an old Dell Latitude 12.1. It will run MS Office though, with reasonable alacrity.

But the Latitude and my Company whiz bang machine both use MS.

((((((((((( I am just tired of MS. I want to break from the tedium and live free! )))))))))

.... but I don't want to become a sycophant to Apple either.

So Chrome and Linux have a definite attraction.
Both in the same package have a delightful appeal. 2 flavors in one wrapping.