Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Solarfl4re
Solarfl4re doesn't litterSolarfl4re doesn't litterSolarfl4re doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Massive slowdown in iBooks - Russian book with stress marks

Hi,
I'm studying Russian, and have starting reading Russian books in iBooks - all good so far. But then I tried a book with stress marks (to help in pronouncing the words) and iBooks has immense difficulty with the file; taking a up to 10 seconds to open the book, and then pausing for long intervals when I add annotations.

Here's a sample of text with no stress marks; this works fine:
Quote:
— Это как-то связано? Ваше состояние и вспышки гнева. Вы испытываете гнев в момент волнения?
And with stress (Displayed perfectly, but with huge slowdown):
Quote:
— Э́то ка́к-то свя́зано? Ва́ше состоя́ние и вспы́шки гне́ва. Вы испы́тываете гнев в моме́нт волне́ния?
Any ideas as to why the version with stress marks gives iBooks so much trouble? Are unicode combining characters (if that is what these are) so taxing?
I've tried different versions of iBooks, along with brand new installs of iOS 5.0.1 and 5.1, to make sure it's not just a problem unique to one configuration or something.

The book is from here, for what it's worth: http://www.etnogenez.ru/book/marusya/
Solarfl4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried using a different reading app, eg Bluefire?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Solarfl4re

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried using a different reading app, eg Bluefire?
Thanks for the suggestion, I suppose I should have thought of trying other apps.
I just installed and tried Bluefire, however any letter with a stress mark is displayed as a box (Screenshot).

Loaded it into Stanza and it works fine - instant page turns, no hesitating, all letters displayed.
It looks like it has to do with iBooks; Bluefire simply lacks the proper font, or whatever it needs, stanza is fine, and iBooks? I don't know.

Only problem is that I love the annotation support in iBooks, makes it easy to highlight an interesting sentence. At least I can read it now in Stanza, albeit with bad annotating; thanks!
Still curious as to why iBooks has problems with it.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As far as iBooks goes, my only suggestion would be to report it as a bug to Apple via their official support forums. I'm pleased you've found a workable solution, though, with Stanza.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Solarfl4re

Quick follow up, I found the excellent Comparision of iOS e-book reader software thread, and decided to try the ones with annotation or highlighting support.

* The book doesn't seem to slow Blio down at all, although the stress marks are displayed under the letters, nearly hidden. Annotation and highlighting works perfectly, although iBooks's version is a bit more advanced.

* Kobo appears to have more trouble than iBooks; while stress marks are displayed correctly, it refuses to let me highlight or make a note; it pauses and then nothing happens.

I'm going to make a post on the Apple forums; The only problem iBooks has is the large amount of pausing. Stanza has no such speed issue, which makes me think that it has to do with how it's processed or something.

I may edit this post later to add in any more I test.. this is becoming something of a personal quest

Could the ePub itself be the problem? I didn't find anything much extra in the code, just paragraph tags and so on. Flightcrew only finds an XML dtd mismatch, which doesn't seem like it would bother a reader too much...

Last edited by Solarfl4re; 04-11-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
koroleva84
koroleva84 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad3
Russian ibooks?

Hi!
Solarflare, quick question, where did you find the Russian books with stress for ibooks? I went to your link and found the regular book (no stress) but I wanted to also find Russian adult books with the stress marks. I looked all around on ibooks but couldn't find any. Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction!

Thanks,

Jessica
koroleva84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Solarfl4re, in your tests, don't leave out the best e-reader for iOS, Marvin. It's blazingly fast under regular circumstances, so it would be interesting to see it tackle your "accented" book. I use Marvin to read regular Russian books without any problems.

(Stanza is dead, in case you didn't know, and Marvin is very much Stanza's successor, except that it's even better.)

Last edited by Faterson; 02-12-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Solarfl4re, if you do give Marvin a try, would you let me know how it performs? I tried getting the book from your link myself but I can't seem to manage.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
koroleva84
koroleva84 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad3
Marusya with stress marks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Solarfl4re, if you do give Marvin a try, would you let me know how it performs? I tried getting the book from your link myself but I can't seem to manage.
Hi! I also went to that link but I only find the book without the stress marks. Did you see where the book with stress marks is?

Thanks!

Jessica
koroleva84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Nope... I wish I could read my no. 1 favourite writer, Leo Tolstoy, with stress marks included! The myriad of variable stress patterns is one of the most difficult things about the Russian language to master for us foreigners.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyrillic, ibooks, russian, stress, unicode