Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
cozworth
gadget crazy
cozworth began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/900
FBReader compatible with.....?

I just purchased a Nokia 770 (it hasn't arrived yet). I know the OS is Linux on the Nokia. I am fine with that. I read on the FBreader site that it will work with Linux and Windows XP machines....

Well, I have Windows Vista and a Mac.

Does anyone know if I will be able to transfer books to the Nokia if I have Windows Vista?

I guess I should have thought of that before I paid for it.....
cozworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The 770 should show up as a USB flash drive. At least, it does under XP.

Yes, there is an FBReader already ported to the device.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozworth View Post
I just purchased a Nokia 770 (it hasn't arrived yet). I know the OS is Linux on the Nokia. I am fine with that. I read on the FBreader site that it will work with Linux and Windows XP machines....

Well, I have Windows Vista and a Mac.

Does anyone know if I will be able to transfer books to the Nokia if I have Windows Vista?

I guess I should have thought of that before I paid for it.....
I guess it should work; anyway if worst comes to worst and you do not want to take the mmc card out (the locking mechanism is fragile), you can always upload your ebooks to some e-mail account like gmail and then connect with the 770 and download them directly. Similarly about Fbreader, you can update it wirelessly.

And if you buy drm free e-books (or get them from Gutenberg and the like) you also can download them directly, zipped too if you so prefer since Fbreader reads from zip archives

For my Fictionwise multiformat and Baen purchases, I always download the prc (zipped prc) directly to the 770, I put it on my PC only for archival purposes and if I want it transfered to the iTouch or the Sony

Last edited by Liviu_5; 12-24-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is no need to have FBReader on a Desktop computer in order to use it on the 770. Just transfer the e-books to the 770 via a USB connection (the 770 will show up like a USB memory stick). FBReader itself is typically installed via WiFi. FBReader will automatically find e-books in some metadata-rich formats (in it's search path), but for others you use FBReader's own file navigator to manually add e-books to its library. All this can be done on the 770. There is a 2-part visual tutorial actually from a 770 under FBReader ScreenShots.

The only advantage of installing FBReader on a Desktop is that it allows you to read the e-books there, just as on your 770. Note that there is a FBReader port for OSX 10.4 and above on Intel.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote