Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Read-in-store book selection?

I just found out about the one hour free, read in store feature. I was curious, can you read ANY book you want or is there just a select list that you have to choose from?

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
My understanding is that it's only books the publishers have given permission for, but this is most books.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just as an aside, they often have free ebooks available in store when you connect via wifi. But be careful with it, I downloaded one book during a visit simply because it was free, read a few pages of it and didn't like it, so I deleted it, and I'm still getting recommendations based on it weeks later. It is the only book I ever get recommendations based on, and it was only on my Nook for a few hours.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Personally I have never run into an issue a book not being available for free reading and I have been a frequent B & N visitor since purchasing a Nook about five months ago.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Personally I have never run into an issue a book not being available for free reading and I have been a frequent B & N visitor since purchasing a Nook about five months ago.
I've been surprised to find some "textbook" type titles for Free-Reading, but I've never been able to actually download anything in store over say, 2MB because it just takes so long (in-store network is about .5MB/minute).

Examples of books not available for Read In Store -
REAMDE / Stephenson
Snuff / Pratchett

Other titles by both authors are available on Read In Store

There are much more than the initial "read in store" list would indicate - if you do a search, many more titles show up as "in store"
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Most of the popular books are RIS, but I have been interested in many that are not available, so I think it's based on the types of books you're interested in.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Yes, I'd read some older posts that made it sound like the selection was somewhat limited. Now that I've tried it though, the selection seems quite large. Actually, I haven't found anything yet that isn't available for RIS, though I'm sure there are some.

Actually, I was quite surprised. S&S won't allow any of their Star Trek titles to be checked out from a library through Overdrive, so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to see them all available for RIS. Not that I can sit there and read every book but it's nice to know I can check out titles a little more than the samples show before I purchase them.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote