Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Looking for: Bluetooth Audible Books Device

I'm looking for a Bluetooth capable MP3 player that supports Audible books and is NOT Apple. (Really, truely, I'm fed up with iTunes and I'll live with it for my phone, because I have to, but I won't buy another Apple phone, much less any other Apple device.)

Ideally, this device should be moderately small (but needn't be tiny), and have decent battery life. But beyond that, I don't require much. It doesn't need to have pictures or video, though I don't mind if it does. It would be preferred for it to support WMA audio, but that's not a deal breaker. What IS required is that it support Audible Format 4, and work with Audible Manager (not requiring a custom application.)

Thanks!

Last edited by CRussel; 11-28-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: we've been moved so comment no longer relevant
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I was buying a new Mp3 player, I'd look at Cowon. And they do support Audible format 4. The J3 does support WMA.

http://www.audible.com/dc?mt=MP3&mfid=313
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. The 8 GB J3 looks very promising. And not too unreasonable a price. (Bigger ones are just overkill for audio books, even in Audible Format 4.)

Thanks, Jon.
(and the editor in me wants to say that you really meant "if I were buying..."
Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmm. The 8 GB J3 looks very promising. And not too unreasonable a price. (Bigger ones are just overkill for audio books, even in Audible Format 4.)

Thanks, Jon.
(and the editor in me wants to say that you really meant "if I were buying..."
From what I've been told and what I've read, Cowon has very good sound quality. Not just some iPod with a name and no decent audio components.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I have the Cowon J3 -- purchased it in March 30, 2011, according to Amazon. Got the 32 GB version. I can confirm it works with .aa files, though I've never used bluetooth with it. Did know it had bluetooth, to be honest.

It's a really good player; I bought it for the file browsing capabilities and the drag-and-drop and it's a good sport.

It's got some quirks. The expandable micro SD card slot is great, but once you put a card in there, it's NOT coming out without pliers. The other issue is that if you put it on "pause" for longer than a few seconds (like, say, someone drops by your desk to talk), it will either turn off entirely (NOOOOO! TAKES FOREVER TO TURN BACK ON.) or go into "sleep" mode, depending on the settings. Sleep mode is easier to wake from, but you are NOT going to have the battery life they proclaim once you set it up to sleep instead of turn off.

I definitely get a full day out of it and could probably wring two, but I pretty much have to charge it nightly. Fine by me.

I've been using it daily since I bought it and I'd buy it all over again if I lost it. So... 4 stars?

Last edited by anamardoll; 11-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I've been told and what I've read, Cowon has very good sound quality. Not just some iPod with a name and no decent audio components.
I honestly don't care about the audio quality, since the intent is not to listen to music on it, just audio books. Frankly, I listen to music when I'm at my computer, working, and almost never otherwise except for live concerts. This is for when I'm walking or when I'm in the car, and that means it's purely for Audible books.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
I honestly don't care about the audio quality, since the intent is not to listen to music on it, just audio books. Frankly, I listen to music when I'm at my computer, working, and almost never otherwise except for live concerts. This is for when I'm walking or when I'm in the car, and that means it's purely for Audible books.
Oh, I can also confirm that it has a nice bookmarking function which is great for audiobooks. (Works for aa and mp3 files.) And it also has a touch screen that lets you touch-and-drag to anywhere in the file you'd like to be, which is nice if you want to skip ahead over a long file.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Sony recently released the new S series with built in bluetooth.
I have 3 Sony MP3 players just for audio books and I couldn't live without them.
I bought the bluetooth transmitter on clearance for my older sony players. It works very well, too.
They have an instant on feature that makes it easy to stop and restart with the touch of a button, unlike other players I've had that turn off.
The battery last for several days of non-stop play.
I get most of my books from the library, so they are Overdrive compatible.
The rest I transfer with Windows Media Player.
I've read some very positive reviews of the bluetooth capabilities.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Do you use the audible app with your iphone? I have the audible app on my android phone and I love it. I can download books directly to the phone using wi-fi (or probably 3G). The best part for me is their bluetooth implementation. I mostly listen to books in the car and when I turn off the car and my phone's bluetooth disconnects, it automatically pauses the audible app. With my prior approaches using cheap, standalone MP3 players I always had to remember to turn off the player when I got out of the car or it might play until the player's battery died and then I would waste a lot of time figuring out where I was in the book. So I love the audible app for android.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
Do you use the audible app with your iphone? I have the audible app on my android phone and I love it. I can download books directly to the phone using wi-fi (or probably 3G). The best part for me is their bluetooth implementation. I mostly listen to books in the car and when I turn off the car and my phone's bluetooth disconnects, it automatically pauses the audible app. With my prior approaches using cheap, standalone MP3 players I always had to remember to turn off the player when I got out of the car or it might play until the player's battery died and then I would waste a lot of time figuring out where I was in the book. So I love the audible app for android.

Duane
I was going to mention that. There is an audible app for iPhone & iTunes does not need to be used in anyway. I download the books directly through the app.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Sony recently released the new S series with built in bluetooth.
I have 3 Sony MP3 players just for audio books and I couldn't live without them.
I bought the bluetooth transmitter on clearance for my older sony players. It works very well, too.
They have an instant on feature that makes it easy to stop and restart with the touch of a button, unlike other players I've had that turn off.
The battery last for several days of non-stop play.
I get most of my books from the library, so they are Overdrive compatible.
The rest I transfer with Windows Media Player.
I've read some very positive reviews of the bluetooth capabilities.
Sony players do not support Audible books. Therefore, not of interest to me. Too bad, their specs are fine, and they would work well with my car player (also Sony). Frankly, it's a shame what Sony did to the Walkman brand. But that's a discussion for a different forum.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post

Duane
Yes, I use the Audible app, though one can also the "Music" app. (Called iPod in earlier versions of the iOS.) Both behave similar, and I prefer to download my books via iTunes since it's WAY faster than having to download a book over WiFi, which the Audible app requires for direct download.

Yes, I like the automatic pause. Hopefully the same feature will be true with any bluetooth device. Though that's not a deal breaker. Biggest problem with using my phone for this is the overall battery life on the phone isn't great.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Quote:
Yes, I use the Audible app, though one can also the "Music" app. (Called iPod in earlier versions of the iOS.) Both behave similar, and I prefer to download my books via iTunes since it's WAY faster than having to download a book over WiFi, which the Audible app requires for direct download.

Yes, I like the automatic pause. Hopefully the same feature will be true with any bluetooth device. Though that's not a deal breaker. Biggest problem with using my phone for this is the overall battery life on the phone isn't great.
I don't actually use the bluetooth to send the audio to my car's stereo. My car had stereo input jacks in the center console and I just got a cable that plugs into the headphone jack in my phone. Somewhere I read that this was much easier on the phone's battery and my phone will play like this for hours without making a significant dent in the battery. However, that ends up being moot for me as I have a car charger for my phone. My commute is about 30 minutes each way, and if I plug in the charger during the drive, that's all the charging I ever need to do with my phone.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
I prefer to download my books via iTunes since it's WAY faster than having to download a book over WiFi, which the Audible app requires for direct download.
I'm not quite understanding why you're 'fed up' with itunes: sounds as though you quite like it.

I personally loathe itunes, but you don't have to put up with it. There's always the option to jailbreak and then use the free program iFunBox as an itunes replacement to manage your idevice.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
I'm not quite understanding why you're 'fed up' with itunes: sounds as though you quite like it.

I personally loathe itunes, but you don't have to put up with it. There's always the option to jailbreak and then use the free program iFunBox as an itunes replacement to manage your idevice.
Hate the interface, hate the updates, hate the restrictions. Use it because I still have to for the phone. Don't want to use it for anything else. (Jailbreaking phones in Canada is possible, but has implications I haven't had time to deal with. May have to.)

Tags
audible book, bluetooth