Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
tetra
tetra doesn't littertetra doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
SCAN to EBOOK - Program to convert JPG to LRF and EPUB

Hello !

I'd like to share with you the program I made to convert my JPG files to LRF (Sony) ebooks.

This program takes a bunch of JPG pictures and create an LRF file with the following capabilities :
- 1 or 2 pages per image (can split image in two)
- If 2 pages per image mode, you can choose paper reading direction (Left to Right or Right to Left (Japanese reading)
- Auto crop to remove white space around the page
- Auto rotate if image will be better displayed in landscape mode
- Normalization
- Resize to eink screen resolution
- Reduce color to 16 greycale
- LRF creation, with an entry in the table of content for each subdirectory of pictures

This program can be downloaded here : http://scantoebook.vassaux.net
Installation is very easy : download ZIP file and uncompress where you want, copy your JPG pictures in "images" directory (with subdirectories if you want) and lanch the program.
You will be asked a few questions and the LRF file will be created. You can then upload it to the reader.

The program uses NetPBM, LRS2LRF and ImageMagick for some of the operations. Theses are included in the ZIP file, so it's ready to use.

I'll be happy if you can try this and tell me what you think about it !
Have a nice day, and Happy new year !!

Last edited by tetra; 02-10-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Title change
tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Interesting program! thanks. I like it, but some images come out cut and with white edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	64412   Click image for larger version

Name:	si.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	64413  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
tetra

Hello Surquizu,

Nice to hear you like it !

Yes, white borders are added to the picture to make sure it is at the exact resolution of the screen. That prevent any strecthing on the device.
If the image is cutout, that may be a side effect of the auto-crop feature. It scans the border of the image and remove it until it considers the image is "worth keeping". If your picture border is very bright, it may cut a bit of it. It was designed with manga, comics and books in mind, not photos.
Could you please post one of your picture (the original), maybe I can find a workaround, or maybe just add a question to desactivate autocrop is enough.
This autocrop feature is the thing that made me develop this program, as I couldn't find any other program that can do it fine and create someting usable for ebook reading.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra View Post
Hello Surquizu,

Nice to hear you like it !

Yes, white borders are added to the picture to make sure it is at the exact resolution of the screen. That prevent any strecthing on the device.
If the image is cutout, that may be a side effect of the auto-crop feature. It scans the border of the image and remove it until it considers the image is "worth keeping". If your picture border is very bright, it may cut a bit of it. It was designed with manga, comics and books in mind, not photos.
Could you please post one of your picture (the original), maybe I can find a workaround, or maybe just add a question to desactivate autocrop is enough.
This autocrop feature is the thing that made me develop this program, as I couldn't find any other program that can do it fine and create someting usable for ebook reading.
This is the original image that has been cropped. It has happened on several photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1910.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	999.2 KB
ID:	64458  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
tetra

Thanks for the picture Surquizu. I'll have a look at it.
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
tetra

Hello,
I updated the program files.
You can now choose to desactivate auto-cropping, wich will be usefull for photos.
When I'll have more time, I'll try to improve the border cropping to handle photos in addition to books/manga/comics.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
surquizu
Evangelist

Thank you, now is perfect!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
sage79
Enthusiast
sage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: kobo glo
it is a beautiful software. i like the good crop funtion. i see that it often crop the number of page. is it possible to extend the crop funtion for crop also the comic's title on the top or botton?

Last edited by sage79; 01-19-2011 at 08:58 AM.
sage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
tetra

Hi sage79,
Sorry for ma late answer, I was quite busy.
Yes, that's possible. If you have a sample picture you can post here, I can adapt the crop parameters.

I may release another version soon which can output EPUB.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
sage79
Enthusiast
sage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of it

here it is
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	[Grandi Saghe] [Topolino 2654-2663] Wizards Of Mickey_Pagina_008.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	855.8 KB
ID:	65394   Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	65395  
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
tetra

Hi,

Sorry for this late answer, I have no internet connection at home right now.

I updated the program to be able to generate EPUB files in addition to the LRF ones.
I also added a parameter to choose cropping efficiency, so it can handle your scans Sage79 (just choose the strongest setting). The setting of the previous version is the lightest one.

http://scantoebook.vassaux.net

Regards
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
sage79
Enthusiast

Great! it is the best software to manage comcs!

Last edited by sage79; 02-06-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, it would be better if it was JPG to ePub. LRF is dead and this is just a limited use application. By going ePub, we can also use the ePub on non-Sony devices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
sage79
Enthusiast

now it supports epub.
for tetra:
when i create an epub, the number of pages is not correct. it seems that many jpg are collected on a single page.
thanks again.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #15
tetra

Yes, thanks, I've seen the page numbering problem but had no time to correct it yet.
Inside the EPUB file, I generate a filefor each TOC entry. Maybe I'll have to do like Calibre and generate a file for each picture.