Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Clap42
Clap42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Question Where are my PDF-DRM books ? No access to "Documents" on my Kobo

Hello,
I have my Kobo Wireless for some weeks now, and enjoyed it a lot. Except for some days when I tried to upload library PDF-DRM books on it.

I have used ADE to download the books from my library, drag and drop them on my Kobo. They show on my Kobo when I look at it from ADE. The 2 books appears on my Kobo file when I look at it from my computer too, under the folder "Digital Editions". BUT when I eject my Kobo and search for my books, they are nowhere. I understand that as PDF, they must appear under the "Documents" part in the Menu, but the big problem is that I CANNOT access the "Documents" (it's not available for selection; I have only access to "Books" and "Store").

Today, I have upgraded the software version to the 1.9 on my Kobo.
My PDF books are still nowhere to be find, and the "Documents" section is still UNavailable...

I have never had problem when using ePub books. Folders with author names have been added to the main memory of my Kobo when I have downloaded ePub books on it.
These are the first PDF I'm trying to read on my device. As they come from the library, the file must be fine (at least they appear fine when I use ADE to read them).

Kobo desktop application has been installed on my computer, but it doesn't want to synchronize with my Kobo. I have update my library wirelessly, but my PDF are still missing.

Power off and then on doesn't change anything.

Please, help me.
Clap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Hey. I have Kobo WiFi, too. Have you tried pressing the menu button and the selecting documents. Just as an experiment, I put a couple of journal articles on my Kobo. Those are PDFs and they are under documents.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Clap42

As I said, I cannot access "Documents" on my Kobo wifi. It's in a gray shape instead of a black one.
Any idea on how access it?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap42 View Post
As I said, I cannot access "Documents" on my Kobo wifi. It's in a gray shape instead of a black one.
The headings (Books, Mags, Docs) will go from gray to black only when there is a file in them to access. The gray Documents tab is telling you there is no pfd file present.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Clap42

Quote:
The headings (Books, Mags, Docs) will go from gray to black only when there is a file in them to access. The gray Documents tab is telling you there is no pfd file present.
ok. But why ADE can 'see' my files on my Kobo then? I can see the files directly from my computer too, but not from my Kobo.
Is there a special folder on the device named "documents" for example? In which Kobo's folder are your PDFs?
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Sorry. I don't know, then. I don't use the Kobo desktop application, just Calibre and ADE (for my library books). Also, I don't "sync." I just side-load manually.

I have to say, I don't like reading PDFs on the Kobo. On that small a screen, you can make the text bigger but then you have to pan and scan both horizontally and vertically. It is okay for a short article, I guess, but I gave up on a library book that was PDF and now I just search the ePubs.

I wish I could help more but maybe somebody more technical than me will answer.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
ok. But why ADE can 'see' my files on my Kobo then? I can see the files directly from my computer too, but not from my Kobo.
Is there a special folder on the device named "documents" for example? In which Kobo's folder are your PDFs?
I would suggest you put another file on the device. It can be a pdf, html, cbz, image. All of these will be placed in documents. See if any of them show up and if so then perhaps the others will also.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

PDFs that I have borrowed from the library have always shown up under Books, not Documents (despite what the Kobo manual says)
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Clap42

I tried to add different documents on my Kobo, as Dalede suggested, but the "documents" section was still unavalaible and the files didn't show up anywhere else. I decided to reset the device to the factory settings. Hopefully, it restarted on the 1.9 version. All my previous books needed to be uploaded again, but it worked: the library PDFs finally showed up under the now available "documents" section.
What a pain for just this... but better late than never I suppose.

Thanks guys for your advices.