Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #61
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Regarding my PayPal payment (US account) still on pending... they said it would go through within the day (since the money got already deducted from it).
July 4th, as you may remember from your days here, is a banking holiday so the next bank day is Thursday.

I was involved in an earlier "too good to be true" deal from Tiger Direct and they honored the low price in the interest of good customer relations.

If the price is valid then it would seem to me that this is the first indication that a new Reader is coming out. (The alternative is that Sony has thrown in the towel on the Reader and is leaving the market.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #62
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
If the price is valid then it would seem to me that this is the first indication that a new Reader is coming out. (The alternative is that Sony has thrown in the towel on the Reader and is leaving the market.)
Let's not think of the alternative you mention, but other than that I'd be happy if Sony came out with a new Reader, even if I just bought another one.

One reason why I am pretty sure that they must come out with something new soon is that PVI, their panel maker, announced that they would only produce E Ink Vizplex panels from now on.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #63
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Actually I´ve just called the Hotline.

The guy from the support said it was a special offer from Sony (1000 pieces) and it´s all sold out. They probably wont get it back for that price.

... perhaps some kind of market test from Sony ... who knows.

Btw. thanks to all the people who ordered 5+ devices at once :=( ...

Last edited by joblack; 07-04-2007 at 12:32 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #64
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Crossed Fingers

Crossing my fingers. The order seemed to go through. What's the worst that can happen? refund my money.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #65
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Btw. thanks to all the people who ordered 5+ devices at once :=( ...
I expect lots of Readers to shop up on eBay soon. They could sell them for $200, make a 100% profit and be still way below the retail price.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #66
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Amazing, a TD guy just told me I needed to mail in a form... (I politely asked him if that was the only way. the one and only way he told me... Then I asked to be transfered to another sales rep, (the guy obviously was too busy daydreaming fireworks...). Anyway, finally a very nice lady told me they were out of Readers.
$99 looked too good to last. :-)
We'll see if the next batch is still $99

BTW, happy 4th of July to all MR members in the US!!
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent news that it's a legit offer. I'm sure they must have been impressed at the rapidity with which they sold 1000 of them!

The only thing I wonder is how many are genuine users, and how many are just out to make a "fast buck" on eBay? Sadly that seems to be all too prevalent these days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #68
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
They corrected the price a couple of minutes ago.
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
See the other thread - it was a batch of 1000 units. All now sold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #70
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I accidentally got three pending orders, each with $99 for the Reader. I called their support to cancel the first two (I noticed too late that I can only pay through wire with international shipping) and they told me just to let the orders "expire" after a while. I guess there is no way how I could transfer them to any of you guys...
Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #71
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
BTW, happy 4th of July to all MR members in the US!!
Happy 4th of July to you too!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #72
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
How do you have time to have a girlfriend, read, do MobileRead, and etc.
One got priorities, not necessarily in the order you mentioned (joking of course, in case "somebody" is reading this... )
Old 07-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #73
Adrian
Adrian began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
Well, I can definitely speak for myself (and three other people in the UK) in that we've all been very interested in getting ebook readers for some time. I've lurked on Mobileread for months, but at $350 or even $250, the Sony Reader just didn't make sense. At $99 however, it's a very fair price - as one of my (student) friends said, he spent that at a cricket match in London yesterday.

I probably would've bought it at $150. $200, no.

It helps that the dollar is so weak, by the way I bet that a lot of people buying the reader are from overseas.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #74
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

upps, price update
now "just" $249
Don't you toy with my emotions Tiger.....
Old 07-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #75
BKeeper
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I guess there is no way how I could transfer them to any of you guys...
Are you serious??? If they honor the price I'm really interested Alex.