Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
send to Kindle + add series identifier

is there a "send to device" preferences syntax which will cause my books to display on kindle as {series name}{series number ( 2 digit)} then a space then title name & author name as usual

and which can be used a a default always i.e. if calibre has no series data then it will simply send title & author with no leading blanks ?

I studied the preferences page help but I am not confident of getting the syntax right :-(

at present I am keeping series data duplicated at start of title which I understand is the "wrong" way to operate a database, but which makes kindle sorting easy.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
is there a "send to device" preferences syntax which will cause my books to display on kindle as {series name}{series number ( 2 digit)} then a space then title name & author name as usual

and which can be used a a default always i.e. if calibre has no series data then it will simply send title & author with no leading blanks ?
You can change the Send to Device template or the Device interface Plugin template to change how your file name looks when sent to the Kindle, but for most of your books Kindle will grab the title from the metadata and there is no way to change the metadata on the fly via any template.

If you want that info in the title then the Kindle forces you to put that in the title of your metadata prior to sending the file. Another reason I'm glad I stumbled into a Sony 20 months back.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Kindle will grab the title from the metadata and there is no way to change the metadata on the fly via any template.

Huh ?

I've been repeatedly told , & have tested, that Calibre rebuilds all metadata on the fly when the send to device otpion is used

are you saying there is no tempate that will cause an on-the-fly edit of title metadata ?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I've been repeatedly told , & have tested, that Calibre rebuilds all metadata on the fly when the send to device otpion is used

are you saying there is no tempate that will cause an on-the-fly edit of title metadata ?
That's what I'm saying.

Send to device will update the metadata to match your library but there is no template that will alter that metadata. The templates just alter file names.

Off Topic Update: A year from now after Kovid's 300th change this feature will happen and some idiot will reopen this (by that time ancient) thread to tell me that it is indeed possible by just checking a box and will actually think they are helping by pointing it out.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-27-2010 at 06:42 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Huh ?

As far as I have found, it won't update the title and author based on templates. I'd love to have such a function myself...

You can update the title and author in Calibre itself (which is what dwanthny means), and then send it to your device. It will then show the changed title.

So, it's manual work, and not automated (though, with the upcoming custom fields, I'd love to have such a functionality!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

thanks for clarification - I'll stick with tags at start of title filed then, like HH01 - hitchhikers guide - it's impure database technique but will give me what I want ( apart from the chore of having to remove the HH01 for metadata search/downloads

I'm suprised there is no fuzzy match in the on-line metadata searches so that something like title= "HH01 - hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" , WITH author = "douglas adams" could still work