Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #76
talios
talios began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Is this new firmware generally available yet? I downloaded the Desktop client from the Whitcoulls website here in NZ but it seems to be the same version, no mention of firmware updates yet...
talios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #77
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
My update of my firmware is complete and all went well. I did have one spot, where it told me to retry to update as it looked for my new driver. Had one other glitch, where the paper clip recommended would not fit in the reset hole and I had to use the blunt end of a sewing needle..I did have to redo my few books in Libre as the page turning and memory was not correct, but after that was completed, all is reading well.
I followed all of the instructions trustingly and am glad I'm computer savy as I think only about 20% of the folks purchasing these from Borders could could successfully complete the upgrade and could not read the ebooks without.
As much as I think this is nice little reader, I find the lack of support from the point of purchase and actually from Lobo very poor. Our Borders is only one block away from a Barnes and Noble and a Bestbuy and the Barnes and Noble saleslady is telling anyone visitng her kiosk, shopping for info that the Kobo text cannot be read and that the batteries are all malfunctioning. In all honesty, this is the truth and perhaps these readers should be updated now..The Nook has alot of glitzy promos/ covers etc and I think are selling much faster and IMHO really a more confusing and certainly a more proprietary unit. If it were my store, I"d make sure every single ereader leaving had been upgraded prior to sale, but the sales agents are not allowed to open the boxes. Maybe sales should be halted until they are updated.. Had I purchased the Kobo and not found this forum, I"d have returned it in an hour. I live in a Florida retirement town and most folks would be unable to read or deal with the ugrades.. Please Kobo, fix your products before selling any more, you are just giving Kindle and Nook more customers.

zI'
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #78
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
Anyway, here's the surprise.
By accident today I discovered that you can now read .TXT and .HTM files. I keep a few text files with cross references and book series chronologies on the internal memory of my KOBO. There is also an interim HTML version of a book I was converting to EPUB and I can read that as well.
Now that seems interesting. I just down loaded Wizard of Oz from project Gutenberg as a text file and as an HTML to try this out.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #79
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Now that seems interesting. I just down loaded Wizard of Oz from project Gutenberg as a text file and as an HTML to try this out.
So, how did it work for you Techie42?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #80
techie42
Zealot

Way cool. The book is very large 361 pages as html and 561 as text (?) and it loads very slowly but it does work as both txt and html documents. I can even change the font sizes in these two new formats. I'm going to try html with embedded pictures next.

Serendipity in its truest form. Nice!

Hey! I wonder if we got any other new formats on top of text and html?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #81
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
1.4 Gotcha!

I saw in a previous post that the 1.4 firmware Kobo will now read .html files, so I tried to copy over a website mirror. It ended up being unmanageable, just a whole list of untitled index.html files. (Maybe I'll end up finding a way to convert the mirror into a .epub file, with sections separated into "Chapters", etc, but I'm not in too much of a hurry).

Note: I'm not particularly complaining about that part, it's kind of nice to be able to just drop an unconverted .html file onto the reader and find it in the "My Documents" list.

So since that much was useless for me, I reconnected the Kobo and deleted the whole subdirectory, ejected the kobo, and unplugged it from the usb.

And then the Gotcha! ALL of the now-deleted index.html files are still listed in the "My Documents" list. At least selecting one of them just brings up a blank screen with a document that's "Page 1 of 1" instead of crashing the reader. :-/

Does anybody have any idea how to reset the documents list without wiping the Kobo and starting over? Ack!
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #82
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
I think the html function is for the upcoming newspaper?
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #83
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post
...Does anybody have any idea how to reset the documents list without wiping the Kobo and starting over? Ack!
I do not see the text or html documents coming up in the calibre list.

I am having the same problem.

Hmmm...
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #84
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
I'm not sure why people care so much about something as trivial as the cover art when shut down. That was a "neat" feature that had nothing to do with the operation of the unit. In fact, I prefer the new operation (though I'd rather be able to set my own shutdown/sleep times).
It gives the device a nice feel...it makes it seem more than just another electronic device.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #85
mikobo
mikobo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Table of Contents - Indented levels

Hi,

one improvement in a future FW release would be to show second and third level chapter markers as indented on the Table of Contents screens. I have a few documents that use second level(and third) to delineate sections. At the moment these are all made to look the same on the TOC. Indenting would be the simplest way to delineate the differing heading levels. ADE does this with a collapsed, indented list which would be too hard to do on the Kobo.

Cheers.
mikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #86
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post

And then the Gotcha! ALL of the now-deleted index.html files are still listed in the "My Documents" list. At least selecting one of them just brings up a blank screen with a document that's "Page 1 of 1" instead of crashing the reader. :-/

Does anybody have any idea how to reset the documents list without wiping the Kobo and starting over? Ack!
The most recent version of Calibre should allow you to delete the HTML and txt docs

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #87
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikobo View Post
This is a "version 1.5 wishlist" thread, then? :-) That'll make the Kobomen happy...

Control the shutdown timer? Now, it goes into 'sleep' mode after 15 minutes is that right? And it comes back out pretty instantly. But it never goes from there into "off" mode does it? It certainly shouldn't. It would be a pain if this were to happen. Will report back in the morning! EDIT: yes it does, after 15 minutes it powers off completely. This is a disastrous step backwards. What lunatic thought up that? Note to self: when installing 1.5 firmware wait for someone else to do it first to find out what clueless modifications have been included.

An option on the menu to remove the current book from the "I'm reading" list.

That'll do for next week anyway :-))

Even in sleep mode, the Kobo is consuming some power. I tend to agree with them that if I haven't done a page turn in 15 minutes, I'm likely to be busy doing something else. Ditto for the 30 minutes from last page turn to power off mode. It doesn't take that long to get power it back up.

The remove current book would be handy especially for the $%^&*() books which don't have a table of contents so you have to flip through 500 pages to finish reading it.

That's all folks....
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #88
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybraga View Post
fred_yu_job - yes... i'd say it's about 30 min.... i just went through the hassle of having to turn it on again just because I stopped my reading for 30-40 min.... once again, it's not the 30 seconds wait that bothers me... it's knowing that my battery is being drained for nothing...

EricLandes - yeah.... i would love to get the cover back too.... i used to love that.... i know it's not an important feature, but i kinda liked it....
Actually, the sleep => power off =>power on seems to take less power than leaving it on as the old firmware did. I left it on a couple of times with the old firmware and by the next day, the battery was dying. With the new firmware, battery is still good. Admittedly, I don't know how much of this is due to the power improvements in the new firmware and how much due to the sleep/power off.

There is also a post from a Kobo rep stating that the reason for their choices was to maximize the battery life. Any longer times would reduce the battery life and have us tossing our Kobos early. Non-replaceable batteries should be banned.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-11-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: fat fingers created a rather nasty typo.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #89
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
This is an addendum to my post about TXT and HTM files.
( I didn’t add it as an edit because I want to be sure anyone who read the previous post will now see this post.)

I only have 8 TXT files on the KOBO and 1 on an SD card. Every time I disconnected the KOBO from the computer the database got larger, even though there were no new files added. After a little browsing in the database file, I found that if you have any TXT files on the KOBO and/or on an SD card, every time the KOBO updates the database, it makes new entries for those files.
There are 73 entries for the 8 TXT files I had on the KOBO and the 1 on the SD, which is rarely mounted. After I removed ALL the TXT files I found the database was not changing.

It seems that every time it sees a TXT file, it appears to be a NEW file, and it adds it to the database.

So for now the best solution is to REMOVE ALL .TXT and .HTM files from the KOBO and any SD cards you use until this gets fixed.

sorry about that folks!
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #90
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
just realized this is probably the better place to ask my question!

I'm curious as to how the new font-size stuff works - when I first got my kobo, I used calibre to figure out what font size I was happy with, and then adjusted my books. My concern is that the size I'm using is smaller than the "smallest" font size I'm seeing in the display window - it is a comfortable size for me to read, I don't have to flip pages as often, etc. So if I upgrade, will I be forced to use the font sizes provided, or is still some way to get around that?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kobo was simply ignoring any font-size tags in the css file, but if there is a way to get around this - no matter how technical, I'd love to hear it! I'd really like to upgrade and have access to some of the other changes, but....

On a semi-related note, I'd love to see some tools that allows crazy techies like many people posting here to change various settings on the kobo. such as the range of font sizes to pick from, sleep/power off settings, etc. This is definitely a tool where I'd love to be able to customize the thing to the nth degree
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote