Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It occurred to me, not so long ago, that, being what might be called "middle-aged", I can realistically expect to read fewer than 1000 more books in the remainder of my life. I am therefore trying now to be selective, and read books which are WORTH reading.
Wow! Good Point!

No wonder oldsters get so finicky!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I only grab the titles that actually have content which I find interesting and know I will probably want to read at some point.

Now that I have a fairly large TBR file consisting of many of the best books of the past 25 years, I'm much less likely to jump on a freebie unless it really seems to offer something of worth.

So many of the books being offered of late appear to be a rehashing of the same old thing...vampires, cheesy romance, implausible "thrillers" and detective stories, and pseudo religious tripe that the gems are getting harder to find (for me at least).

All that said, I do appreciate the fact that we have the opportunity to choose.

Last edited by Bluesman7; 05-03-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
It's not just free e-books, it's all e-books. I don't tend to buy/download free anything without a track record or recommendation from somebody whose recommendations I can vet (i.e. their opinion on something I've already read.)

Therefore, I'll never be on the cultural cutting edge. That's Ok, I don't have to impress anybody....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I just ignore any freebie that has the "C" word in the title or the blurb.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It occurred to me, not so long ago, that, being what might be called "middle-aged", I can realistically expect to read fewer than 1000 more books in the remainder of my life. I am therefore trying now to be selective, and read books which are WORTH reading.
I'm middle aged too (well, if I'm aiming for 90+, anyway!), but I hope to get through another 5,000 - 10,000 books, with a bit of luck.

There is still a need to be selective, though.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I only download books (free or not) I plan on reading right away or in the near future.

But I'm also a very casual/light reader compared to most on here. Getting through 1-2 books a month at most.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #22
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
A book has to have an interesting description for me to consider downloading it.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I created a google docs - doc for my "to be read" list. As I have about 100 books on it, and as that doesn't account for all the books I've already bought or downloaded for free -- I check my list before downloading a free book -- or purchasing a book.

If I can't see a desire to read the book (free or not) before any of the 100 or so others I've already queued up, then I don't bother.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Although I do like getting a free ebook, I do look at the summary and if sounds relatively appealing, I download. Given that I like romances, this makes a lot of these freebies a no-brainer for me. However, even under that genre I still use some criteria to determine if it is worth downloading. Glad May is starting off with lots of good ones so far.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #25
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
At the beginning I downloaded as many freebies as I could - I even started reading most of them. Now, I have cleaned up my library, deleted those that are boring or I never would read and am more selective.

If the hook doesn't interest me I won't touch it. Free or not, time is too valuable to waste with boring books - even if they are free.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #26
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:

I'm actually OLD, so I'm pretty much down to racing through short stories and reading the backs of cereal packets now. The best I can hope for is that Grim's brother - the Cheerful Reaper - is the one who knocks at the door, just after I've finished the last page...

When I first got into ebooks I downloaded a heap of supposed classics from Gutenberg. But after dipping into a few, sanity cut back in and I deleted all but the tiny handful that I actually did read. I'm more than happy to pay for things if the quality is there. Can't take it with me..... unless... do they allow e-readers in Limbo or Purgatory? With Eternity at my disposal I might eventually get around to finishing Remembrance of Things Past and Don Quixote..... it's something to ponder...
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #27
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
I only buy what I really want to read, free or not.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #28
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I'm with those who have a queue already. I don't download free books unless it is on my list of books to read, by an author who is on that list, or there's a very good reason for putting it there.

I feel a bit bad that I'm leaving out all sorts of great undiscovered authors, but I don't have time to beta test authors. I guess that's what I'm paying the publishers for!
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #29
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I discovered MR with its huge, free and enticing library before I owned an eBook reader. As a result, the offer of a free book from a bookselling website has never gripped me the way free merchandise is supposed to.

One exception: I downloaded a few free things during Read an eBook Week. So far, only one, a short story, has been worthwhile. But that author I plan to buy when his two novels are available as an eBook. So I think that the idea of giving away the first book in the hope that you will buy all the others has merit.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #30
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
There were a bunch of free books at the Sony eReader store recently released by a couple of vanity publishers. I downloaded a couple, browsed through them, and decided that I won't bother downloading any more of them unless I get a personal recommendation from someone.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote