Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Cool New poll: What do you think of DRM

The results of my book buying poll are posted at my site. I have a new poll up on what people think of DRM.

Please drop by and vote at http://davidhburton.com

Cheers!
David
davidhburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhburton View Post
The results of my book buying poll are posted at my site. I have a new poll up on what people think of DRM.

Please drop by and vote at http://davidhburton.com

Cheers!
David
It would be nice if you would let people vote on the poll...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

You can't vote??
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
davidhburton
Addict

Ugh, #pollfail!! Fixed now!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I prefer without DRM.

That said I don't really care that much as I so seldom re-read books, don't care about loaning (just share a Kindle account with my girlfriend) so most everything (other than public domain books) I just get from the Amazon store since I have a Kindle.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I don't know that anyone truly PREFERS DRM -- at it's best, the consumer shouldn't be able to tell that it's there while they're reading.

I definitely prefer without DRM, but I don't always let the presence of DRM stop me from making a purchase.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
i don't mind (at the moment) - it can be circumwhatsited, i understand, whilst geo-restrictions are barriers.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Could not vote since the alternative "do not buy books with drm" was missing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I don't really see the point of it, either from a writer/publisher perspecive or from a reader perspective. All it does is make pirated books more convenient and easy to use, and punishes people who decide to support the publishers financially.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how much of an ebook's RRP goes to pay for DRM? Is it something that is licensed so they pay every time they use it, or do they just have to buy a program once and that's it?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I don't care one way or the other. If I want a book I will get it, so long as it is in the price range I am willing to pay.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
davidhburton
Addict

@tompe, funny!! I thought about changing the wording of "DRM is the spawn of the devil" but that might have seemed to biased.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhburton View Post
You can't vote??
I believe it just let me vote. (No error message, but no success message, either.)

Folks accessing the site using things like Firefox with the NoScript extension need to allow the site in NoScript. Such things require JavaScript to work, and NoScript turns off scripting by default.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I don't really see the point of it, either from a writer/publisher perspecive or from a reader perspective. All it does is make pirated books more convenient and easy to use, and punishes people who decide to support the publishers financially.
The point from a publisher perspective is protecting content from unauthorized distribution. That it is of dubious value is not something many publishers have realized. I don't believe the reader's perspective is considered, unless the DRM applied makes the buyer jump through enough hoops to be able to purchase and read the book that they complian to the publisher.

(I spoke to a woman at a New York City ebook event a while back who was an ebook romance publisher. She agreed that DRM was ultimately doomed to failure, but used it because her authors demanded it. They were afraid they would lose sales if buyers could freely copy and share it once purchased, which I thought was an interesting view of their readers.)

Quote:
Just out of interest, does anyone know how much of an ebook's RRP goes to pay for DRM? Is it something that is licensed so they pay every time they use it, or do they just have to buy a program once and that's it?
DRM technology is present in the software that is used to create the ebook. They buy the program once. And they may not even buy the program: the MobiPocket Creator software used to produce Mobi editions includes DRM facilities you can choose to apply when you make the boom, but Mobi Creator is free.

So no, use of DRM does not add to the cost of producing the book.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There really should be an "I will not buy a book with DRM" option in the poll.

There's a very significant difference between a preference and an absolute. For example, if a bunch of us were ordering pizza together, that difference would be critical: I prefer my pizza without Italian sausage, but if that's what the group orders, I'll eat it; on the other hand, I will not eat a pizza with anchovies, no how, no way, they're just revolting.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
davidhburton
Addict

I have added that option.