Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Well after all is said and done...I'm waiting for a large format reader.

I was surprised, not at the variety of reader devices but at the lack of ready for market large format reading devices shown at CES 2010. A couple look simply awful and a couple look to have potential, but nothing exactly "blows my skirt up".

still waiting on announcements from a couple companies...but as it sits after all is said and done, I am going to grab a Pocketbook 360 the wait until at least June before revisiting the large format reader device market. These companies are just not getting any polish on their products and all are without a doubt rushed to market so far...

So, probably will sell the K1 this weekend and go for the solid PB360 as my recreational reader...if it works as I expect then I can unload the white heffalump that is my N800. I have my Clie for crossword puzzles and nothing the N800 does for me warrants holding on to it...unless I use for MLB Radio this summer...does an OK job on that...

I expected to see a lot more 8"-10" devices shown and ready to ship this month...but really I saw nothing in the reports. Maybe people focused only on the bigger names? Don't know...I am sure Nate will fill us in on all the juicy details...one the poor dude recovers from the experience.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would expect all the usual suspects - Jinke and Netronix - to release a slew of machines based on the finally-available 9.7" PVI screen. 9.7" devices will almost certainly be as ubiquitous as the current 5" and 6" models over the next few months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Is it just not the case that for the most part large screen devices are both uneccesary and unwanted(I mean by the general buying public)

People are generally obsessed with making things smaller and if the source material is formatted properly then people will go for the smaller option.

In the UK for example one of the broadsheets started putting exactly the same content in a newspaper that had a tabloid newspaper size format and pretty much overnight the smaller version outsold the larger and all other broadsheets were realkly forced to do the same thing.

I dont need something of 12" screen to read a paper format it properly and my 7" screen is fine and my mobile screen is also ok.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's definitely something very nice about reading from a larger screen, especially at home, where portability isn't an issue. Reading on my iRex DR1000S is much like reading a hardback book (the page area is pretty much the same); it's especially nice when the book has a lot of illustrations or maps.

Of course, they won't replace smaller-screen devices for portability (unless "roll-out" screens, such as the Readius, ever become a practical commercial proposition).
Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's definitely something very nice about reading from a larger screen, especially at home, where portability isn't an issue. Reading on my iRex DR1000S is much like reading a hardback book (the page area is pretty much the same); it's especially nice when the book has a lot of illustrations or maps.

Of course, they won't replace smaller-screen devices for portability (unless "roll-out" screens, such as the Readius, ever become a practical commercial proposition).
Exactly Harry, I have the same plan as you, I am getting my 5" recreational/novel reader but I NEED for work/business a large format reader that has some sort of color panel. And I need that for a variety of reasons reading color is not the only need there.

Right now I am giving the Entourage Edge a third, fourth or fifth look trying to decide how I can work around my genuine need for Win7 on a device. My business apps must run under Win7 (well Windows of some flavor anyway). Of course I could so some sort of remote run on my PC sort of thing, like VNC or whatever, over my network but I have yet to find one of those which works at a speed I am happy with. It is always the video updates that bog the work down. But I am just really and I mean REALLY liking the dual nature of the darned thing.

And the estimate of 16hrs as an ebook only reader is more than enough battery life for me since this device would likely never be more than 20ft from an outlet...even in my vehicle as I have a full inverter setup there.

I also really appreciate that this $490 device has a Wacom digitizer under the eink panel/side of the device.

I think I might stay up another hour or so and see what I might be able to manage workflow wise...and I really need to look at exactly what is out there for Android.

maybe all the time I spent reading and searching of everyone's hard work at CES might turn up a solution after all...

Oh, btw soon as my K1 gets down to me from the Seattle house it's going on eBay so I can fund my PB360... We have the K2 now soooo, I can have a nice simply reader to complement whatever large format reader floats to the top of the pile.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The PB360 is a very nice machine indeed - I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PB360 is a very nice machine indeed - I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Yup, it has been my device of choice since we first got hint of them, what over a year ago now? Nice to know you are enjoying yours...I really appreciate the nice integrated cover...simple idea yet they have been the only brand to go in that direction.

I also like that those "Whacky Guys in Kiev" are liking the idea of porting something like X-word since it have handle the AcrossLite (.PUZ) puzzle format which means I can use it for my NYT crosswords...eventually.

Actually, to be perfectly honest I wanted a Readius sans the phone part with all of my pheart since we first saw those a few years back now...I'm thrilled they are back in the game soon...lots of potential there and it's only a matter of time once the flexible panels are in full swing I am sure.

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-08-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
KenK
KenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I, iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Right now I am giving the Entourage Edge a third, fourth or fifth look trying to decide how I can work around my genuine need for Win7 on a device. ....
I also really appreciate that this $490 device has a Wacom digitizer under the eink panel/side of the device.
Have you looked into a tablet PC? After having tried the Kindle DX and the DR1000, I've settled on the Fujitsu T2020 for now, for viewing full-page PDF documents. Of course it's a bit heavier (about 3.5 lb) and more expensive (paid about $900 through the Fujitsu outlet store on eBay), but it's a full-fledged Windows PC. It has an excellent screen - I think it's PVA, it definitely has better view angle than a typical notebook PC.

I actually have an Entourage Edge on preorder as well, but I'm not sure how it's going to work out. I think it would be useful in situations where a backlit LCD screen is conspicuous (e.g. seminars and talks), and of course easier to view under bright light.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote