Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #286
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Oh, don't forget that Packt's "day" doesn't correspond to ours (well, at least anywhere near the ET in the U.S). At this moment, it ends after 21:38:04.
It's a British company, and the deals end at midnight, BST (British Summer Time). For most Americans, that's somewhere between 7 PM EDT and 4 PM PDT.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #287
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
It's a British company, and the deals end at midnight, BST (British Summer Time). For most Americans, that's somewhere between 7 PM EDT and 4 PM PDT.
British, ah.

I am mathematically-challenged. I couldn't figure out how to do the calculations to figure out about where in the world that a regular day would begin and end, given the numbers shown. With enough thought, I could, but it just wasn't that important to me.

But, having thought about it some more just now, it would be nice to say that the end of the promotion is such-and-such a time, not just how long from the time of my post that it would be. If remember correctly, the times that we see for each person's post is Greenwich Mean Time. So, all of that would be tricky for someone to calculate. I probably would struggle even using a calculator on the web to try to figure it out. ha.

Thanks for the feeback. It was helpful.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 PM   #288
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
British, ah.

I am mathematically-challenged. I couldn't figure out how to do the calculations to figure out about where in the world that a regular day would begin and end, given the numbers shown. With enough thought, I could, but it just wasn't that important to me.

But, having thought about it some more just now, it would be nice to say that the end of the promotion is such-and-such a time, not just how long from the time of my post that it would be. If remember correctly, the times that we see for each person's post is Greenwich Mean Time. So, all of that would be tricky for someone to calculate. I probably would struggle even using a calculator on the web to try to figure it out. ha.

Thanks for the feeback. It was helpful.
I see central time here on the posts.

Now just for you. Your time is GMT minus 4.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #289
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $0.99-$2.99 for some arts/Hollywood/political history-related titles from assorted publishers (prices should be equivalent in Canada & the US, and available in all the regular stores):

@ 99 cents from HarperCollins:

@ $1.99 from couponable publishers

@ $1.99 from non-couponable publishers

@ $2.99:
  • As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling by Anne Serling, a memoir of the creator of the classic The Twilight Zone series by one of his daughters, out from Kensington's Citadel imprint (couponable/VIP-eligible in Canada but not the US anymore, apparently)
  • How Shakespeare Changed Everything by Stephen Marshe, one of those pop-history pop culture books, out from HarperCollins' Harper Perennial imprint

And for ~$3-4 or so each, there's a bunch of Wes Anderson-related film artbooks with interviews and behind-the-scenes from publisher Abrams Image in the current Kobo Canada weekend sale, which might also be matched in the other stores and in the US, and some ex-Soviet Union history memoirs from the Hoover Institution (Wikipedia), a think tank hosted by the Stanford University which publishes through the aegis of their University Press.

Last edited by ATDrake; 04-28-2017 at 12:57 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #290
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I picked up "The Disaster Artist." It looks like a fun read.

I look forward to seeing the movie - hopefully soon.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #291
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, free

The Sinai and Palestine Campaign of World War I: The History and Legacy of the British Empire's Victory Over the Ottoman Empire in the Middle East

still free

Alhambra: The History and Legacy of the Moors' Most Famous Palace in Spain

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...ld-title=-kids
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #292
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I see central time here on the posts.

Now just for you. Your time is GMT minus 4.
A person should always go by the practice of CYA. You will notice that I said, "if [I] remember correctly."

I also said earlier (not for the first time; I often remind people of this) that I am mathematically-challenged.

You should not pick on learning-disabled people. So there.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-28-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #293
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
A person should always go by the practice of CYA. You will notice that I said, "if [I] remember correctly."

I also said earlier (not for the first time; I often remind people of this) that I am mathematically challenged.

You should not pick on learning-disabled people. So there.
I am directionally dysfunctional. And was just giving you a hint.
But since I now know you are mathematically challenged, I will tell you exactly how to know. Hold up as many fingers as the clock says. Then put down 4 fingers and count the ones still up.
And now I shall meet you in Alabama. I head north and west right.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #294
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I only have 10 fingers, not 12, which is the numbers on a clock.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #295
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Audrey Hepburn: A Charmed Life by Robyn Karney, a pictoral tribute cum biography of the classic actress, from Skyhorse's Arcade imprint
I thought the cover of this looked familiar, so I checked my bookshelves, and it turns out it's a reprint of an old coffee table hardcover book I've owned for years: Audrey Hepburn: A Star Danced.

I read this ages ago, and it's actually pretty nice. There are lots of pictures drawn from throughout her life: photos from her childhood, public appearances, and personal life, as well as the expected stills and behind-the-scenes “candid” shots from her acting work. The accompanying biographical text has enough depth to be satisfying to a casual reader, and touches on various points of personal and professional interest which may lead one to want to read a more dedicated examination of her life and career.

For a mere $1.99, I'd certainly recommend if you happen to like or be interested in Hepburn's life and work or maybe some old Hollywood trivia about her films and co-stars, even if the picture quality is probably a little dubious after conversion to e-book (my hardcover is roughly the size of a 15-inch MacBook).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #296
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy
Well now what do you expect? You have swamp gases and swamp people.
Quote:
And we have the President of the United States here more often than in Washington, D.C.
Redundant statements are redundant.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #297
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The press always treated Audrey Hepburn as if she were a special person, and I never understood why.

Today I feel the same way about Helen Mirren.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #298
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The press always treated Audrey Hepburn as if she were a special person, and I never understood why.

Today I feel the same way about Helen Mirren.
I've never heard of Mirren. I'll have to look her up.

Audrey Hepburn (no relation, by blood or marriage to the great Katharine Hepburn) accomplished things--she was a great actress, for one thing, IMHO.

Audrey may have been the late 1900's equivalent of Paris Hilton, Kim, et al, Kardashian, ad nauseum. They are special because the media said that they are special (I know, Paris is a descendant of (Conrad?) Hilton who started Hilton Hotels, but that's not why she was/is getting the attention from the media that she was/is).

Much of the time today, as in the past, certain people are special, because the media says that they are important. There reasons for choosing those certain people? That's above my pay grade to answer. However, some if not all of such celebrities actively seek out that status--they work at it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #299
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Redundant statements are redundant.
I think that I get it.

But, I'm sure that Donald Trump wouldn't get anywhere close to a swamp, unless he was going across a bridge over one. And, he's definitely not one of the swamp-people type. He wouldn't be caught dead at a mud boggin'.

Swamps (or to be politically correct--ecologically-sensitive wetlands) are everywhere in many areas of Florida. A lot of them are state-owned or protected by semi-private conservatories). There are probably several close to Trump's mansion in West Palm Beach or wherever it is, and they will be there perpetually.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-28-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #300
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I thought the cover of this looked familiar, so I checked my bookshelves, and it turns out it's a reprint of an old coffee table hardcover book I've owned for years: Audrey Hepburn: A Star Danced.

I read this ages ago, and it's actually pretty nice. There are lots of pictures drawn from throughout her life: photos from her childhood, public appearances, and personal life, as well as the expected stills and behind-the-scenes “candid” shots from her acting work. The accompanying biographical text has enough depth to be satisfying to a casual reader, and touches on various points of personal and professional interest which may lead one to want to read a more dedicated examination of her life and career.

For a mere $1.99, I'd certainly recommend if you happen to like or be interested in Hepburn's life and work or maybe some old Hollywood trivia about her films and co-stars, even if the picture quality is probably a little dubious after conversion to e-book (my hardcover is roughly the size of a 15-inch MacBook).
I wonder if the book covers the bad with the good. I mean the terrible six(?) years that her and her family suffered in Arnhem (and maybe elsewhere), in the Netherlands under Nazi occupation. She was not Dutch, she wasn't even Jewish--it was a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. She and her family suffered terribly in those years. Of course, they weren't alone. There was Corrie ten Boom, for example; but from reading about this part of her life I wonder if her and her family had to suffer as much.

From the sound of the title and the description, the book might only begin to cover Audrey's life as she started to become famous. Of course, that's a biographer's prerogative.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-28-2017 at 05:15 PM.