Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Adding description when importing magazine

Tried Searching for an answer to my question but haven't.

I'm trying to find a way to add a description to a magazine I get digitally. What I would like is when I drop the PDF into Calibre it add the generic description (for that mag)automatically to the metadata, IE when I import Huisgenoot it'll add the description I chose
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre should read the metadata from the PDF
or
do you have Adding books set to get from filename?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre should read the metadata from the PDF
or
do you have Adding books set to get from filename?
The metadata gets add correctly, but what I'm looking for is how to add extra metadata at import time, as the magazine only offers name and author, I want to add a description to the metadata, something thats not in the metadata
Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
Tried Searching for an answer to my question but haven't.

I'm trying to find a way to add a description to a magazine I get digitally. What I would like is when I drop the PDF into Calibre it add the generic description (for that mag)automatically to the metadata, IE when I import Huisgenoot it'll add the description I chose
@PandathePanda - would it be
  1. a different description for each edition of all magazines,
  2. the same description for every edition of the same magazine?
If Option 1 then surely you'll have to type the text, or copy it from somewhere, into the Comments column, or a suitable custom column. I'd opt for the latter, using a long text column type, because it has some options that are not available for the Comments column, including editing within the Book List via F2.

If Option 2 then you could write a plugin that injects the common magazine descriptions into each edition of the magazine. Or maybe it could be done via a saved bulk edit search and replace. A File Type plugin could probably make it happen automagically when the book was added. It could examine the magazine's Title to select the appropriate description text which it would put into a specified (in the plugin configuration) column.

FWIW: assuming it's Option 2, I would put the texts for the different magazines into a global snippets manager and paste from it into a custom column when I added an edition of the magazine. I invariably have to do some metadata editing when I add something to my libraries, so adding a cut and paste from my snippets library would not be a burden.

I'd do similar for option 1, except I'd cut and paste a fill-in-the-blanks pro-forma description from my snippets library.

I'd be lost without my global snippets manager - its been abandoned so I won't name it.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
PandathePanda
a toy panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If Option 2 then you could write a plugin that injects the common magazine descriptions into each edition of the magazine. Or maybe it could be done via a saved bulk edit search and replace. A File Type plugin could probably make it happen automagically when the book was added. It could examine the magazine's Title to select the appropriate description text which it would put into a specified (in the plugin configuration) column.

BR
Thanx, Think a plugin would work, but my programming skills are dated and not usable anymore (VB6 + GW-Basic ) so I'll do it as I'm doing it now and do it manually.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'd be lost without my global snippets manager - its been abandoned so I won't name it.
Would you still reveal its name? I'm just being curious.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
I will if you respond to the PM I sent you on March 2nd 2017

BR
Old 04-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Going straight to the PM it is! I haven't been here for a long, loooong time .
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Going straight to the PM it is! I haven't been here for a long, loooong time .
Thanks for answering my PM - finally

Quote:
It's a feature of the no longer available CoolFocus Inc ShellToys swiss army knife shell extension. They went bust in 2012, as a result of the Lehman Bros event.

Shelltoys was payware with a hardware specific key. When they closed shop they emailed registered users with the wherewithal to remove the lock. For reasons related to USA national security I never received the email, and I never found anyone willing to give me the recipe to remove the lock.

So when this rig finally dies I'll have 45 days to find replacement functions - snippets and clipboard managers will be the hardest.

There should be a scheme that encourages entities that abandon the software they created to put the source into the public domain.

BR