Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #31
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
BTW, could you describe to me how typically you proceed to look up a foreign word (like: move the joistick x-times / click y-times / do-something-I-can't imagine ...) so I get an idea how much better your dictionaries work?!?
I click the central button to navigate to "Lookup Mode" and click the central button again. I then navigate to the word I wish to see looked up and click the central button again. That's it.

The Pons Italian-German dictionary by the way is no good at all on the Cybook. Either the dictionary or the Cybook can't handle inflections. Quite a let down

Last edited by adelheid; 01-16-2008 at 01:27 PM.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:14 AM   #32
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
I then navigate to the word I wish to see looked up and ...
Adelheid, I apologize for my "obstinacy":
how many clicks does it take you to get to a word on average?

Quote:
The Pons Italian-German dictionary by the way is no good at all on the Cybook. Either the dictionary or the Cybook can't handle inflections. Quite a let down
Oh, I'm sorry for that - someone here might know a workaround?
Did you find out how html tags work in these dictionaries?

I'll send you my Italian-German html source asap - but may take a few days, yet...
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 AM   #33
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Adelheid, I apologize for my "obstinacy":
how many clicks does it take you to get to a word on average?
That depends on where the word is on the page: say, if it's at line 5, position 4, that would mean 4 clicks to go to the line and 3 clicks to go to the word.

If the line is closer to the end of the page than the top and the word at the end of the line, you would start at the bottom of the page and line (1 click 'up' to end up at the bottom of the page and so on), so that wouldn't make a lot of difference in number of clicks.

That last bit may be a bit cryptic, I hope it is clear what I mean

About the html tags: yes, I think I understand how it could work (there are tags to differentiate between 'verbs', 'adjectives' and so on and you can choose to include inflections of these, which - if I understood correctly - will be generated by the software). Looks like a lot of dedicated work however.

Last edited by adelheid; 01-17-2008 at 04:06 AM.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #34
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
That depends on where the word is on the page: say, if it's at line 5, position 4, that would mean 4 clicks to go to the line and 3 clicks to go to the word.
That last bit may be a bit cryptic, I hope it is clear what I mean
Good evening Adelheid!

Your last remark isn't cryptic at all to me, as my Sony navigates in PDF links in much the same way!!! (Actually it seems to me that the troubles to get a word translated are more similar than it seemed to me, on both devices.)

So: it would be a real advantage to us if we could select just any word on a touch screen...
Thanks for your information, again!

Quote:
About the html tags: yes, I think I understand how it could work (there are tags to differentiate between 'verbs', 'adjectives' and so on and you can choose to include inflections of these, which - if I understood correctly - will be generated by the software). Looks like a lot of dedicated work however.
If it is really NO TROUBLE for you AT ALL - would you send the html source to me personally?
But that's just for my curiousity - thanks anyway for your troubles so far...

I'll send my email address in a personal mail - BUT you need not do anything about my request: I'd understand any reserves about it !
Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #35
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid;
I received your private message. I got info on dictionary tags here:

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...e=indexing.htm

Oh, just in case this is what you meant: the source for my dictionary.
Hi Adelheid!

That was just what I was looking for, the link above, I mean.
Thank you!

I'll look into the description and hope to -maybe!- find ways to get inflections into the html automatically.
I'll send you my larger dictionary source later next week once I'm through with it.

Have a nice day !!!

Clemens
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #36
Clemenseken
eWriter

Angry Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ...

Sorry - mi dispiace.

Edit: I herewith withdraw my previously attached PDF dictionary files.

I had asked for feedback on their usability but only got posts from exactly *T*W*O* members - as compared to over 1,400 downloads...

(I don't mind anybody else placing any of these PDFs in a new thread. But I won't engage in this project any more.)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #37
MarcoDiWA
MarcoDiWA began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
I am sorry to see you withdrew your dictionary. I've been using Calibre for a while but just discovered this feature where there are downloadable books. I guess you wanted feedback. If there were a way to see it I'd gladly give you feedback.

Marcodiwa
Seattle
MarcoDiWA is offline   Reply With Quote