Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Earll
Earll began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Vs Nook (other options)

Hey this is probably sort of a standard question, have been trying to search\look some around but seems like everyone has slightly different things on their mind so ill just ask. Am going to buy an e book reader, had a kindle before and was pretty happy with it but it broke. The one problem I had with it was that it had sort of bad compatability with PDF\converting files from PDF.

So I want an ebookreader kind of thing that hopefully is pretty good with PDF's ( I do also read a lot of Epub\Mobi\whatever, but I guess they are pretty seamless to transfer between eachother\never really a problem.) and I want some form of cover or built in light function. Also want a comfortable e-ink to look at etc, i have been looking at like the kindle Paperwhite, but is that non e-ink/just some sort of tablet? Access to a built in store like Kindle\Nook has is also a big plus. Price does not really matter (obviously it is a factor but getting the right fit is more important than saving 30-40$ or whatever.) Edit: oh right size, does not really really matter that much, smaller is obviously easier to take with me, but bigger has benefits of being bigger screen\easier to fit in PDF's that are not just texts etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit2: Right now leaning towards http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...kindle_dp_comp but it seems like they don't even sell these anymore? Also my old kindle looks pretty much exactly like that (its an older generation though I think, bought it about 2 years ago, does not have 3g) but I still have the leather with light in cover for it, would that work on this model? I guess either this one, or the standard one, or the kindle paperwhite. What is the paperwhite like to look at versus a tablet screen versus E-ink?

Last edited by Earll; 08-27-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Earll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
This is a hard one. Sony readers are good with handling PDFs but they don't have a lighted version and aren't likely to release one anytime soon. I'm not sure how the newly released Kobo's handle PDFs. In general, e ink readers aren't great at handling PDFs. A tablet might be better.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earll View Post
What is the paperwhite like to look at versus a tablet screen versus E-ink?
The Paperwhite is eInk. It has a layer on the screen that diffuses light from LED's in the bottom of the reader housing and directs it down towards the screen.

http://www.ereaderortablet.com/wp-co...light-tech.jpg
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Earll
Earll began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Paperwhite is eInk. It has a layer on the screen that diffuses light from LED's in the bottom of the reader housing and directs it down towards the screen.

http://www.ereaderortablet.com/wp-co...light-tech.jpg
Ok so its just as easy on the eyes so to speak as the regular kindle? Starting to lean towards the Paperwhite then to be honest. And yeah I know tablet is a better option for easy to read PDfs but dont want no tablet. Again thanks for help. I mean the PDF support on my old kindle was for the most part doable so i doubt it has gotten worse with the paperwhite at least, so might just go for that one.

Edit: final question about Kindel, the 3g versions give free access to wikipedia and Kindle books\book store wherever it has 3g coverage, and gives access to free web browsering\document retrival in some limited countries, right? Will order from the U.S but live in norway.

Last edited by Earll; 08-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Earll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The 3G lets you download books from the Kindle store, use the Kindle store and wikipedia and I think that's all. You have to use wi-fi to browse anything else.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The 3G lets you download books from the Kindle store, use the Kindle store and wikipedia and I think that's all. You have to use wi-fi to browse anything else.
Shelfari also, anything on amazon.com (not just Kindle books). Maybe Goodreads if and when they add integration for that. I like being able to use Translation and Report Content Error when there is no wifi connection as well.

And if you switch between reading devices (say a smartphone and Paperwhite) the 3G will enable more seamless sync, whispersync for voice (Audible) etc.

Since this thread is about Kindle vs. Nook I would just point out that the Nook eink devices have no built in web access. So 3G aside, you cannot do wikipedia lookups with Nook. I find it really useful when I come across a reference and want to learn more about it, and would not want to be without it.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-29-2013 at 04:47 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote