Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx
Greg Waddell began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
What Means OnDevice?

Hey everyone,

I've been using Calibre for quite awhile now and love it. I hope it never goes away because I depend on it.

Anyway, even with all my experience, there are still some things I haven't been able to wrap my brain around DUH. For example, can someone please explain to me what the "On Device"column is for and why some items have a check mark and the word Main but most do not?

I know there's a usage here I'm missing.

Thanks for your help.

gsw
Greg Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Waddell View Post
For example, can someone please explain to me what the "On Device"column is for and why some items have a check mark and the word Main but most do not?
It means just what it says: that the book is on the device (in Main memory) you have connected.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It appears when there is a device plugged in. It then shows which books are on that device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

But I haven't connected any devices At least not intentionally. So like could it refer to my iPad which is sitting nearby. Or my other computer sitting nearby? Or my wife's computer in the other room? How do I find out what it's referring to?

gsw
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre should tell you at the bottom of the screen if it thinks a device is connected (and what it is).
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

OK ... I see it now. It is thinking of iTunes as another device. That helps. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

You can stop iTunes being seen as a device by disabling the driver in Calibre.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

No... that's fine. Now that I understand what's going on it's actually helpful that way.

:-)

gsw
Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

Is there a way to cause Calibre to see my iPad as a device w/out going through iTunes?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215624
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

OK ... now it says "connected folder device." What does that mean?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You designated a Folder as a (pseudo) device.
This could be on a real device but has such a poor system design that it will not Resolve to a make/model that Calibre can identify. (valid USB ID's are supposed to be unique to a Model)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You used Connect/Share -> Connect to folder, or you modified the tweak "Specify a folder calibre should connect to at startup (ID: auto_connect_to_folder)".

If you don't want to be "connected to a folder" (to treat a folder on your computer as a very basic device), "Eject" the device (Device -> Eject this device).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx

charley,
That was it! I had totally forgotten that I had make that tweak. It worked great while using my PC. I just forgot it and then when I saw it appear on the mac version I'm wondering what's going on. Thanks.

Greg

Tags
device sharing, library, sharing