Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I too confirm that not using named entities is a wise decision, as they are not going along with a couple of Reading Systems.

(Also, named entities can be converted into numeric entities with 5 lines of Python, for example.)
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Can you give examples of those Reading Systems?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #18
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember that I personally saw some problems with Onyx devices due to an earlier version of crengine not supporting them; they later fixed the issue. Plus, on a non-RS side, I run into a similar problem with a tool for R/W EPUB in a plugin for a CMS.

I admit: it is not a common problem, but I would rather be on the conservative side, as long as it can be done "cheaply".
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Kobo Vendor Gudie and Special Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I haven't seen that request from Kobo and it sounds a bit silly though. It is much easier to type (and remember...) the named HTML entities than their number equivalent.
It is buried in their sketchy vendor guide (attached). Page 5 in one of the lists. I think the reason is once everyone moves to EPUB3 and HTML5, decimal is the standard, not character entities.
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Vendor Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanM View Post
It is buried in their sketchy vendor guide (attached). Page 5 in one of the lists. I think the reason is once everyone moves to EPUB3 and HTML5, decimal is the standard, not character entities.
I am changing this to post the link rather than the file:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vendor%27s...obo.pdfhttp://

Thanks for pointing this out!

Last edited by SusanM; 04-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
I remember that I personally saw some problems with Onyx devices due to an earlier version of crengine not supporting them; they later fixed the issue. Plus, on a non-RS side, I run into a similar problem with a tool for R/W EPUB in a plugin for a CMS.

I admit: it is not a common problem, but I would rather be on the conservative side, as long as it can be done "cheaply".
Definitely a good practice. I never use character entities.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Pedantic comment: in that document, they use the term "decimal entities", but I guess they meant "numeric entities" (i.e., decimal or hexadecimal) --- as I rememeber some of their examples containing hexadecimal entities.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanM View Post
Sorry, didn't attach!
I love the fact tht it contains the following:
Quote:
This document contains confidential and proprietary information of Kobo Inc. Its receipt or possession does not convey any ownership rights therein, or any rights to reproduce or disclose its contents or to manufacture, use, or sell it or anything it may describe. Reproduction, disclosure, or use without specific written authorization of Kobo Inc. is strictly forbidden. Kobo Inc. reserves the right to update this document without notice to its client vendors unless otherwise agreed to.
You sure you have the rights to post this here?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
OK, be honest here, who knows the numeric entities for the following...

&

—
‘
’
“
”
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
’

I know that one because I often use it for apostrophes (when I want to make them difference from a real closing single quote).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities

Good point. Specifications tend to use their own terms. I guess decimal and numeric mean the same thing!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I love the fact tht it contains the following:

You sure you have the rights to post this here?
Changed to link - thank's for pointing out, Peter.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities

Am I sounding pedantic? Sorry if I am....just wanted to share the pitfalls that I have encountered...
Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
OK, be honest here, who knows the numeric entities for the following...

&

—
‘
’
“
”
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

Google - makes goldfish of us all
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

Google - makes goldfish of us all
I am sure JSWolf knows how to look them up but his point was that you could code the names by memory but no one is likely to memorize the numbers as they are arbitrary without any intrinsic intelligence.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accents, entities, html1.1, xml files