Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
Ababakar
Ababakar began at the beginning.

Device: none
[Old Thread] Calibre 0.8.15 - Languages Metadata Field

got a question regarding the new Languages Metadata Field...

I already created one myself - but as Custom Field i have to Switch the Tabs in the Metadata Editor - so yours is easier.

So: is there a way to Copy my existing Metadata Entries of my Language Field to the new Languages Field?? I used "Text with a fixed set of permitted Values".

Also: is there a way to limit the languages in the new field??? I only need 4 (English, French, Swedish, German) - so it´s much easier to choose them because there are no other ones starting with the same Letter (so just Typing E,F,S or G is enough).

cheers
ted
Ababakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Same to me and easy job:
Sort your list by your custom language field and mark all books with the same language. Then right click --> edit metadada --> edit metadata in bulk. In the sheet basic metadata you will find the field languages. Select the language and apply the changes.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no way to restrict the list of languages, short of editing the source code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
lbik
Reader
lbik doesn't litterlbik doesn't litter

Device: Kindle KB and Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Is it possible to add the language : Nederlands
lbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The list of languages comes from the ISO 639 standard.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbik View Post
Is it possible to add the language : Nederlands
Surely that is a country rather than a language? Would not the relevant languages be something like Dutch or Flemish?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #7
Schaapje82
Schaapje82 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
When I import books into Calibre, it fills the language field, but most of the time, it's wrong. Is there a way not to fill out this field automatically, but only manual? It takes me more time to remove all the wrong info than adding the right info. And I only want to use the field for English books anyway, so when adding a book in another language, I want the field to be empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Surely that is a country rather than a language? Would not the relevant languages be something like Dutch or Flemish?
By the way: 'Nederlands' is not the country, but the word for Dutch in Dutch. The country is 'Nederland'. And they don't speak Flemish in the Netherlands. They speak Flemish in Belgium.
Schaapje82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If Kovid follows ISO 639 as he says, there should be an entry for Dutch.
From ISO639: dut/nla nl Dutch

I don't know if he uses the english names for the languages or the names from the native language itself. In the first case it would be 'Dutch', in the second 'Nederlands'.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
lbik
Reader

Quote:
Would not the relevant languages be something like Dutch or Flemish?
"Dutch" is the english version of the original "Nederlands".
It cannot be right to mention all languages in the english version.

Please take the language "Nederlands" in the list, or give a possibility for a user defined language.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Language names are displayed in the language you select for the user interface.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaapje82 View Post
By the way: 'Nederlands' is not the country, but the word for Dutch in Dutch. The country is 'Nederland'. And they don't speak Flemish in the Netherlands. They speak Flemish in Belgium.
Maybe you can say that here in Belgium we 'speak' Flemish, but I think you have to agree that we write Dutch.
Of course there are some differences, some different expressions, a different accent. But please... don't make it appear that we don't understand each other without a translator, as if we use different dictionaries...

Just like there is no 'German' and 'Austrian' in the list, there should be only 'Dutch' (or 'Nederlands') in the list , not 'Dutch' and 'Flemish'.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
lbik
Reader

Quote:
Language names are displayed in the language you select for the user interface.
YES, thank you Kovid. I have "german" as main language and now i found Niederländisch.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Norak
Norak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
First of all, thanks for this useful addition!
As Ababakar has already mentioned, most users will only be using a small number of different languages. It would be really nice, if the most recently used languages would be shown on top of the list. There is a similar feature for font selection in a large variety of programs and I think it would be a great time saver.
Norak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Instead of browsing through the list, type the first few letters of the language, much faster.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #15
Schaapje82
Schaapje82 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Anything on the automatically filled in language? Can I turn that off?
Schaapje82 is offline   Reply With Quote