Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
TDReader
TDReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
[Old Thread] Limitation of length of path to Calibre Library

I have been using Calibre for a considerable time, and am delighted with it.

The path to my Calibre library is long, of necessity, related to security, access & back-up procedures.

Today, after no problems previously, I received a message on loading Calibre (Version: 0.8.9) on my laptop (Win XPP SP3 patched to date), that my Calibre library could not be opened as the path to it was too long.

Nothing seems to have changed, and Calibre still works well on my desktop, (Win7 64 bit - SP 1 patched to date) where the path to the library is identical.

I think this is really a request to the development team to increase the length of the permitted path to the library to the maximum likely to be used - maybe 240 characters ?

Many thanks

Nigel
TDReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The path length is limited to 75 characters. If it were made longer then the path to individual book files would become too long for windows. If you need to use a long path, then map a drive to the long path, and use that in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For a local drive you might have to use SUBST at the command prompt; not sure you can map a drive to a local directory.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The path length is limited to 75 characters. If it were made longer then the path to individual book files would become too long for windows.
Windows supports paths of up to 32,767 characters if you prefix the path with "\\?\". For example, "\\?\D:\very long path". See the following web pages for reference:
  1. http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/200...-too-long.html
  2. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa365247

I successfully used this method last year when I was writing scripts to clean up files on a file server at work.

It works fine in Python. I think calibre can fix this limitation:

Code:
import os
p = "\\\\?\\" + os.getcwdu()
for i in range(10):
    p = os.path.join(p, 'x' * 100)
    os.mkdir(p)
    os.stat(p)
print len(p)

Last edited by Halo; 07-15-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
windows supports it, windows explorer doesn't, which means the files become inaccessible via windows explorer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
If you need to use a long path, then map a drive to the long path, and use that in calibre.
Wow. I am always learning something new here, this is great! I can use this, since I already know my path is currently longer than the 75 minimum (but haven't upgraded past 8.6 yet).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #7
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you need to use a long path, then map a drive to the long path, and use that in calibre.
okay, dumb question

I tried this and it worked. End of the day I shut down the computer and now when I turned it back on, that drive is no longer showing.

Do I have to map it to a drive every time I reboot?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Which method did you use to map the drive? In both the windows level drive mapping and the SUBST command option there is an option to make it persistent.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
okay, dumb question

I tried this and it worked. End of the day I shut down the computer and now when I turned it back on, that drive is no longer showing.

At least with a networked mapped drive you can configure those to be permanent.

From the command line (not sure where it is in the GUI's) you can type
Code:
NET USE /PERSISTENT:YES
This will ensure that all network mapped drives will survive reboots.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Make sure that "Reconnect at logon" is checked in the window when you are mapping the drive. That will make it sticky. See below circled in red.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reconnect.png
Views:	2456
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	74595  

Last edited by Halo; 07-19-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Note:
Net Use is only valid if there is a Network connection UP and running (Link established) at the time it is issued.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Note:
Net Use is only valid if there is a Network connection UP and running (Link established) at the time it is issued.
Nooo... the NET USE /PERS:YES changes the default so that all further NET USE commands stay persistent.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
CaptainCrash
CaptainCrash began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
okay, dumb question

You can make a SUBST command persistent by creating the following registry key, which might be simpler under some circumstances than the NET USE command - copy the following into a text file, amending where appropriate, save as "something.reg" and double-click to merge to the Registry. The change will be applied next time you reboot.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\DOS Devices]
"X:"="\\??\\D:\\My\Very\Long\And\Complicated\Path\ To\My Data"

Note the double backslashes after the drive letter where your path exists, the normal single backslash won't work.

BTW, the forum software keeps inserting a space in "Contro l" in spite of my best efforts, obviously it should be "Control" without a space.
CaptainCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrash View Post
You can make a SUBST command persistent ...
The other thing you can do is create a .bat file containing the SUBST command, then put the bat file in the Startup folder on the start menu. It will get run every time you start windows.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
FizzyWater

Thanks to everyone who answered...I'm thinking of going with chaley's suggestion (I think it was made a little higher up by another poster as well). I don't want to mess with the registry, but I already know my path is too long and I've been holding off upgrading Calibre because of it. I need a simple method that I'll remember to transfer to my notebook (which serves as a backup for me) as well.