Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
emusan
Edge User

[GUIDE]Installing market on Entourage eDGe(without another rooted device)

Note, this is a copy+paste job from my thread on xda, so there may be errors lost in translation so to speak, I'll try to fix any I come across, but let me know if you find any. Whichever thread is more active I will keep more updated(probably not this one, as it may go down any time ):

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way responsible if any of this information destroys or has any negative effects whatsoever.

UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE FOUND THAT THIS DOES NOT IN FACT ENABLE MARKET USE, HOWEVER, IT DOES STILL WORK WITH GMAIL, CALENDER, ETC. AND I'M LEAVING IT UP IN CASE ANYONE WANTS TO GIVE IT A SHOT.

That said, this has worked for a few people so far without any problems, if you run into any I'll do what I can to help.

HUGE THANKS TO: brianb5010(this guide is almost word for word the same as his), kennyminot(helped in much the same way as brianb5010), and Keslynn. Without them this project would be nowhere right now.

Now, on to the guide:

Step one: Download the backup of the gapps from my site: link

Step two: root your edge, the easiest way is to download the z4root app from the Amazon marketplace, NOTE: this only works if using 2.2/ermine, if you are running an older version you will have to figure out how to root on your own(there are a few methods, and various guides for this out there).

Step three: Download Titanium Backup(the free version should work fine for this, but I recommend buying anyway, its a great app!) from the developers site onto your edge and install: link.

Step four: Extract the archive somewhere on your computer or eDGe, then copy all of the files found in the release folder(extracted from the archive) to your /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder

Step five: Open Titanium Backup and wait for it to gain root, etc.(make sure to give it root privileges), then tap on backup/restore, scroll to the bottom of this list and you should see several (9) apps crossed out, tap on each and tap restore app + data. THIS IS IMPORTANT, you MUST restore the DATA!

Step six: You should be DONE!!! reboot and try out market, you'll need to sign in with your google account.

If you get an error go to step seven:

Step seven: At this point you may be able to access the market, but you might also need to do the "market fix", to do this you will need to edit the /system/build.prop file. Instructions can be found here, but if you want to do it the free way(a little harder), read on:
a. Download AndRootFile and use it to remount the /system folder as read/write, then open up a terminal
b. type "su"(without quotes) then type "vi /system/build.prop"(again without quotes)
c. use ijkl or the trackpad to navigate down to the line starting with: "ro.build.fingerprint"
d. change(use the i button on the keyboard to start editing in vi) that line to read: "ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys"
FAQ:

Q: I'm not seeing many apps in the market.
A: see this: youtube video

Q: I'm getting a download error on every app I try to download, and a google talk connection error.
A: Please PM me and/or post here and I can try and figure it out, I had this error as well, and it may just be due to a faulty gmail account, but there may be another problem, either way I can likely fix it.

Question not answered? Post below or PM me! Also let me know of any spelling errors or things I missed, I know there must be some!

Last edited by emusan; 05-28-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
ftrooper93
Edge User

Step one: Download the backup of the gapps from my site: link

Step two: root your edge, the easiest way is to download the z4root app from the android marketplace, NOTE: this only works if using 2.2/ermine, if you are running an older version you will have to figure out how to root on your own(there are a few methods, and various guides for this out there).

How do you do step 2, from the market, when you haven't installed the market on the edge yet?
Sorry, first rooting...so using small words helps!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
emusan
Edge User

lol oops, meant to say Amazon marketplace(instructions for this can be found on Amazon if you don't have it already). lol I'll go correct that...

Since its your first, remember to do a permanent root, otherwise some of this might not work.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
kennyminot
Edge User

Awesome sauce. Good work.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
ftrooper93
Edge User

okay, I
rooted
installed titanium
how do i give titanium root access?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrooper93 View Post
how do i give titanium root access?
when first run you should see a dialog come up from the superuser application, just click on the accept button thing to give it access.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
ftrooper93
Edge User

okay. Z4 didn't take the first time. The Superuser app was not installed. Now that its there, moving forward. Looking for that zuperuser app is the way to see if the root "took".

Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
emusan
Edge User

if anyone has been successful in this please let me know. One user is having problems with it on another board and I want to know if it is an isolated incident.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
edgewise
Edge User

did all. got YouTube and Gmail, but could download no other app from the market and gtalk would not work either.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
guyjack
Edge User

Does rooting your Edge make the reader side unusable? A friend just gave me a Nook Color (she got an iPad 2 64gb wifi+3g, is ANY tablet worth over $800?) that is rooted and has gingerbread on it...so cool!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
ftrooper93
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewise View Post
did all. got YouTube and Gmail, but could download no other app from the market and gtalk would not work either.
Agree. Got it to show the market, but now can't install any apps at all. all downloads "unsuccessful"

Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
emusan
Edge User

yes, I know what the problem is(I really should have tested more, I just got a little giddy and wanted to release lol), I'll hopefully have a new set of back-ups out tonight or early tomorrow(EST), until then you can still have fun with gmail, etc. and if you want you can try to get it working with market using the current set of backups.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
mister_ed
Edge User

What kind of system are the backups coming from?

-- Ed

Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_ed View Post
What kind of system are the backups coming from?

-- Ed
lol one that was never supposed to run android, you can actually find out by looking through the backups, but I'll ruin the surprise anyway:

an n900 with a triple boot, I installed android on it for this specific purpose, it actually runs so well now I might actually start using it more often. Unfortunately, I've had to reflash the android partition about 3 times now for a few of these backups(in order to use different accounts and settings you can only change once to my knowledge).

Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
emusan
Edge User

If anyone REALLY wants to get on market before I release the newer backups PM me and I'll give you the username and password of the account that will work with the market, you will have to restore all the apps again(maybe not all but it can't hurt...) and then sign in with this user FIRST, then whatever other users second. Also, this will just fix market, talk will only work with this throwaway account, and you could add people but know that everyone using it will see them. Also know that this account will be public and should anyone start screwing with it I will delete it!

I'd rather no one make any purchases with this account anyway, as that could reveal your credit card and other details, but for free apps it should be fine.