Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
flow_
flow_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It did not work with mmcblk0p1.dmp B006-wifi-3g-US. After turning in a terminal the following error:

Starting lipc-daemon: Battery Level: 37%
Sat Jul 31 03:00:09 2010 INFO:battery charge: 37%
system: I S90cron:def:starting crond
system: I S90tmd:def:Starting Transfer Manager Daemon
system: I S94browserd:def:Starting Browser Daemon
system: I S95framework:def:starting booklet framework
/etc/rc5.d/S95framework: line 1: cannot create /proc/eink_fb/update_display: noy
eips: open_device> cannot open framebuffer device "/dev/fb/0"
/etc/rc5.d/S95framework: line 1: cannot create /proc/eink_fb/update_display: noy
suspending
flow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hm. Strange error. It leads to believe that the eink driver (kernel-side) wasn't loaded correctly. I'm guessing on a kernel/rootfs mismatch, but can't really tell anything before you tell us what you did :-) (should read: how you actually used that image - serial boot menu?)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You may need to flash the US kernel too, but without fastboot, I am not sure how to do that. Perhaps just writing with a length and offset to /dev/mmc (opposite of how getkernels.sh works)? And if already bricked you cannot make a backup.

The only "surefire" way is to get a UK K3G image (and kernel) from somebody. If they really ARE different, it would be nice to add them to the debricking forensics collection.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
flow_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Hm. Strange error. It leads to believe that the eink driver (kernel-side) wasn't loaded correctly. I'm guessing on a kernel/rootfs mismatch, but can't really tell anything before you tell us what you did :-) (should read: how you actually used that image - serial boot menu?)
Yes - serial boot menu.
I recovered back from the dump(Thanks for the reminder knc1). Now the device is booted.

My problem is described here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163935

It looks like I found a solution. I'll describe in the thread above.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow_ View Post
Yes - serial boot menu.
I recovered back from the dump(Thanks for the reminder knc1). Now the device is booted.

My problem is described here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163935

It looks like I found a solution. I'll describe in the thread above.
Good news! Which "thread above"? (This thread first post, or the thread linked in the quoted post? I think your solution should be in a new post in this thread, then linked from an "UPDATE:" in the first post of this thread.
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #21
flow_

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Good news! Which "thread above"? (This thread first post, or the thread linked in the quoted post? I think your solution should be in a new post in this thread, then linked from an "UPDATE:" in the first post of this thread.
Thread linked in the quoted post
Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #22
flow_

The reason I wanted to restore the rootfs as follows. The book does not mount the userstore. Now I've found a error - because there were files in the folder /mnt/us. I deleted the files using serial port. After that I rebooted the book and the userstore was mounted. Now I'm going to find out the reason for which the files were /mnt/us.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #23
geekmaster

Quote:
The reason I wanted to restore the rootfs as follows. The book does not mount the userstore. Now I've found a error - because there were files in the folder /mnt/us. I deleted the files using serial port. After that I rebooted the book and the userstore was mounted. Now I'm going to find out the reason for which the files were /mnt/us.
When you deleted the contents of the USB drive (which was mounted at /mnt/us) you deleted your Documents folder (and everything else stored on your USB drive, which may include files required for TTS support). It is not usually a good idea to delete stuff that you do not understand.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #24
flow_

Quote:
When you deleted the contents of the USB drive (which was mounted at /mnt/us) you deleted your Documents folder (and everything else stored on your USB drive, which may include files required for TTS support). It is not usually a good idea to delete stuff that you do not understand.
USB drive was not mounted during the removal of files from the /mnt/us
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
USB drive was not mounted during the removal of files from the /mnt/us
Then what files were in /mnt/us, and how did they get there? A mount point must be empty or the mount will fail (unless it is a bind mount). If there WERE files there, it must have been mounted. There didn't happen to be a documents folder in there, was there?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then what files were in /mnt/us, and how did they get there? A mount point must be empty or the mount will fail (unless it is a bind mount).
Not necessarily. In fact, I think mounting will always work regardless of whether the directory has contents or not. E.g. I have fall-back contents for my /home directory in the root file system, for cases when mounting the encrypted partition for it fails. On my laptop, though, not on the Kindle. But it would work.

However, given what flow_ is writing, I guess there's still some misunderstanding about the nature of the different partitions of the Kindle and the USB export mechanism around.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
geekmaster

Quote:
Not necessarily. In fact, I think mounting will always work regardless of whether the directory has contents or not. E.g. I have fall-back contents for my /home directory in the root file system, for cases when mounting the encrypted partition for it fails. On my laptop, though, not on the Kindle. But it would work.

However, given what flow_ is writing, I guess there's still some misunderstanding about the nature of the different partitions of the Kindle and the USB export mechanism around.
Interesting... I have had mounts fail because they contained files (on linux mint, and I think in at least one of my kindles too). Bind mounts can override that, and can even be mounted in stacks, on top of existing mounts.

But in flow_'s case, that does not explain how the files got there in the first place. When you unmount the USB drive, the mount point is empty on all my kindles. I suspect that his USB drive actually was mounted when he deleted his files. The fact that the files DID get deleted from his USB drive after he deleted them from the mount point also supports my hypothesis.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
From what I have been reading, it sounds like he wrote something to /mnt/us when it was not being backed by the user's eMMC partition.

That, plus possible limitations in the Amazon mount scripting, could have created the problems as described so far.

And a directory need not be empty in any *nix to be used as a mount point. Over-mounting just hides the existing directory contents from new access, which makes it more than a bit hard (as in impossible) to get rid of the previously written contents once the directory is over-mounted.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #29
hawhill
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And a directory need not be empty in any *nix to be used as a mount point. Over-mounting just hides the existing directory contents from new access, which makes it more than a bit hard (as in impossible) to get rid of the previously written contents once the directory is over-mounted.
We're a bit OT here, but *that* is surprisingly easy: You just need to bind-mount the root file system to another place, without recursively binding mounted file systems. I.e. the "bind" mount option, not the "rbind" mount option. Below that bind mount, you will get an accessible mount of the bound file system only. I.e.:
Code:
mkdir rootfs
mount -o bind / rootfs
ls -l rootfs/mnt/us
(untested)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm... This is not how I remember it. I guess I will have to go back and refresh my memory when I get access to my linux PC again. My memory just "ain't what it used to be"... I clearly remember mount failures from populated mount points... My wife keeps trying to convince me that I am an OLD MAN. Other than my mind and body failing me, I still feel like a teenager inside.