Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Getting ?/? in Footer

When I configure my book footer to show number pages read / total pages I get ?/?. When I configure footer to show pages read in chapter / total pages in chapter it works normally.

What would cause this? Is there a fix?
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Two things to try in General Settings:

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the settings.
- Click on "Fix stuck word counts" and select Yes
- Click on "Reset book caches" and select Yes
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Marty --thanks for the response -- unfortunately after trying both settings and stopping Marvin3 execution and restarting, I still have the same problem.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried a different eBook? Maybe the one you are trying to read has errors that Marvin cannot deal with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Marty --thanks for the response -- unfortunately after trying both settings and stopping Marvin3 execution and restarting, I still have the same problem.
Why did you stop Marvin3 execution? Did Marvin stop responding and freeze?

Try just the "Fix stuck word counts" setting and leave Marvin open and let it just "sit and think" for a few minutes. Don't open or close anything in Marvin. Depending on how many books you have loaded and their size and complexity, it could take a couple of minutes for the "?/?" to be repopulated with page numbers.

This has worked for me in the past. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Larla
Addict

I tried again both settings without restarting Marvin -- I waited about 10 minutes before opening the book again but still get ?/?.

Perhaps, as Jon said, the book is malformed in some way. I have read other books in Marvin 3 where the footer displayed the pages correctly.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
I tried again both settings without restarting Marvin -- I waited about 10 minutes before opening the book again but still get ?/?.

Perhaps, as Jon said, the book is malformed in some way. I have read other books in Marvin 3 where the footer displayed the pages correctly.
Yes, our "Resident Curmudgeon" is probably right.

Sorry it didn't work.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
Larla
Addict

Yeah -- I'm not sure what algorithm is used for calculating pages. It must be more complex than just total characters versus total characters read.

The book is The Martian and it does have a lot of one line pages since it is trying to replicate a notebook. That may be a clue.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Yeah -- I'm not sure what algorithm is used for calculating pages. It must be more complex than just total characters versus total characters read.

The book is The Martian and it does have a lot of one line pages since it is trying to replicate a notebook. That may be a clue.
I have "The Martian" by Andy Weir (ePub format) in Marvin3 on my iPad Mini. There are many "LOG ENTRIES" throughout the book, but I don't have one line pages. Having no problem with page numbers.

Sounds like your copy has a formatting or conversion error.

Sorry I couldn't help with a fix.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #10
sreeku
sreeku began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin 3 in iPad
Hello,
I use Marvin 3 in iPad. Off late I also get ?/? page numbers for many books. Most of my ePubs are converted using Calbre from Kindle so that I can read in Marvin. I notice that this issue is only if I select pages for full book. If I select pages within chapter the issue does not occur.

Please let me know if there is any suggested solution. I like reading in Marvin because I can install custom fonts and read using them as compared to Kindle and other readers. But page number is a big issue.

Thanks
Sreeku
sreeku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeku View Post
Hello,
I use Marvin 3 in iPad. Off late I also get ?/? page numbers for many books. Most of my ePubs are converted using Calbre from Kindle so that I can read in Marvin. I notice that this issue is only if I select pages for full book. If I select pages within chapter the issue does not occur.

Please let me know if there is any suggested solution. I like reading in Marvin because I can install custom fonts and read using them as compared to Kindle and other readers. But page number is a big issue.

Thanks
Sreeku
Have you tried the suggestions in Post #2 above?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
Larla
Addict

As this problem continues to come up I think I have found what the problem is. It appears that this occurs for books that I have both a Mobi and Epub version in Calibre. Whenever I check out the same epub from the library, Marvin displays footer correctly.

My theory is that the Calibre conversion from Mobi to Epub is causing this ?/? problem. Whether there is an error in the conversion by Calibre or an error in the display logic by Marvin is not clear. However, it appears Calibre's conversion doesn't yield the exact same epub as the version I get from the library.

Perhaps others could convert a Mobi book on Calibre to epub and see if the ?/? is displayed by Marvin.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Hmm, curious, what iOS device do you have? I wonder if it might be that the processor/chipset is too slow or it's running out of RAM before it can finish the calculation.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #14
Larla
Addict

The Calibre developer said that epub has a page table but that Mobi doesn't. So I guess there is no way to build that page table when Calibre converts mobi to epub. I guess without the page table marvin displays ?/? for the pages read display.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
The Calibre developer said that epub has a page table but that Mobi doesn't. So I guess there is no way to build that page table when Calibre converts mobi to epub. I guess without the page table marvin displays ?/? for the pages read display.
That shouldn't matter. Marvin is supposed to calculate page numbers (basically internal only) for books without a page table. Heck, all my fanfics don't have page tables.

Hmm, is the book MOBI or AZW3? One recommendation I have if it's the latter is to install the MobiUnpack plugin and use the plugin to extract epub instead of doing a Calibre conversion.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-15-2018 at 10:39 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote