Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2020, 02:03 AM   #61
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Not sure, I’ve not seen anything here from someone experiencing issues with KOReader and WiFi but I’m not sure how many of those users also upgraded the built in firmware and then how many of them would have also tried something like this since I think KORreader supports something similar to Calibre companion too
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:35 AM   #62
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
So from what you wrote, it appears to be failing at:
this section.

Basically, for whatever reason, wpa_cli status isn't returning "wpa_state=COMPLETED" within 5 seconds.

You could try increasing the timeout to 10 seconds or more, eg: in "nickel-usbms.sh", change
Code:
if [ ${WIFI_TIMEOUT} -ge 20 ];
to
Code:
if [ ${WIFI_TIMEOUT} -ge 40 ];
at line 153.

Also look at this issue, where a similar issue is discussed.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 03:47 AM   #63
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Time out increase was no joy, even increasing to 60 however looking through that issue I noted enabling force WiFi on worked. Tried that here and was able to proceed. I didn’t fully test as I’m going to sleep now, but KU was got to the point where it didn’t see a Calibre server (I may not have left it running or something could be causing the issue on my computers end). Just wanted to note that enabling force WiFi seems to have fixed this issue. Obviously a better fix is needed but at least KU is possibly still in a workable state with 4.23 until then.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:53 AM   #64
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, the current Wifi situation is not ideal.

The new version of KU shouldn't have any of these wifi issues, mainly because I've switched to a browser based UI, so I can let Nickel handle the Wifi stuff.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:01 AM   #65
MGlitch
Wizard

I don’t know why I was trying to fool myself with that sleep thing. Had some weird hinks on Calibres end (which I think are more related to it not supporting the firmware yet) but after it rejected the first connection a second went through with no issues transferred a book over, ejected, and automatic reconnect and refresh with no errors.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll see if NM supports enabling force WiFi on, then chaining it to the KU NM config. Otherwise I’ll ask Geek if it can be added. As full automation of this is of course preferable.

Also thank you for the quick responses
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 04:08 AM   #66
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Maybe tomorrow I’ll see if NM supports enabling force WiFi on, then chaining it to the KU NM config. Otherwise I’ll ask Geek if it can be added. As full automation of this is of course preferable.

Also thank you for the quick responses
Yeah it does, It's
Code:
nickel_setting : force_wifi
, you'll probably need to chain it with enable wifi though.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #67
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Yeah it does, It's
Code:
nickel_setting : force_wifi
, you'll probably need to chain it with enable wifi though.
Yes, and note that it needs a cycle of WiFi on/off for it to work.

So something like this to enable: `chain_always : nickel_setting : enable : force_wifi` `chain_always : nickel_wifi : disable` ` chain_always : nickel_wifi: enable` (you might need to add a delay in between them if it doesn't work). To disable it again, just change `enable` to `disable` in `nickel_setting`.

Speaking of WiFi issues, I've been having trouble with my network not showing up on the list more often than before. It might be something about the scan timeout and the beacon interval on the router, but I haven't taken a look yet.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:34 AM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There is currently an open issue on KOReader about Wi-Fi being broke on KOReader (with a similar end result, as far as readily visible error messages go) on 4.23, even with the revamped scripts.

I can't look into it right now, so, more on that next week .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #69
sherman
Guru

v0.5.0 released!

Hi all.

It's been a very, very long time coming, but I am pleased to announce that Kobo UNCaGED v0.5.0v0.5.1 has finally been released.

This is a major overhaul of the software with many changes and new features.

You can download the release from GitHub.

-------------

From the github release notes:

This is a major new release of Kobo UNCaGED.

Compared 0.4.x, this release has the following changes and features:
  • NickelMenu is now the preferred and only supported method of launching KU
  • Better integration with Nickel for importing content, and displaying messages via NickelDBus
  • New web based interactive UI, delivered by the Kobo web browser
  • Graphical settings page. No more configuration via ku.toml
  • Added option to directly connect to host instead of autodiscovery. Useful for unsual network environments, or overloaded WiFi environments
  • Can choose multiple Calibre instances if they are found on the network
  • Passwords are now entered (and saved per Calibre instance) via the UI, when required
  • Ability to populate the Kobo subtitle field with the contents of a standard or custom field, with formatted text

Upgrading from 0.4.x or earlier
  • Kobo UNCaGED now uses NickelMenu for launching. kfmon/fmon support has been deprecated. Please install NickelMenu first before installing KU. You should remove Kobo-UNCaGED.png and .adds/kfmon/config/kobo-uncaged.ini, or even completely uninstall kfmon if no longer required
  • NickelDBus is automatically installed on first run if you do not already have it installed. Be aware that your Kobo will automatically reboot if this needs installing
  • Your existing ku.toml file will be ignored. You can reset your settings via the UI, and they will be saved
  • You may wish to complete delete the .adds/kobo-uncaged directory before installing the new version, although it is not strictly required

-------------

Also take note of the readme for updated installation and running instructions.

For those who like tweaking, the Web UI is written in vanilla HTML, Javascript and CSS. The CSS and Javascript can be found in the .adds/kobo-uncaged/static directly, and the HTML can be found in the .adds/kobo-uncaged/templates/kuPage.tmpl file. This is a Go template file, but there is very little templating.

There is no need to install any web frameworks or tools. You just need a text editor.

A huge thanks to @NiLuJe and @geek1011 for their assistance with this release! It wouldn't have been possible without them.

Last edited by sherman; 12-13-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wheee \o/. It's alive!

@sherman: Minor BB code issue with the code tags .
Old 12-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #71
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Wheee \o/. It's alive!

@sherman: Minor BB code issue with the code tags .
Sigh... That's what happens when I try a markdown to bbcode converter.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #72
sherman
Guru

A couple of issues were discovered in v0.5.0. Please hold off installing until I can release v0.5.1 with fixes.

I'm just awaiting confirmation that my fixes solve an issue that was reported.

EDIT: Hotfix released. v0.5.1 now available.

Last edited by sherman; 12-13-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #73
MGlitch
Wizard

This isn't working for me.

I removed the previous uncaged directory entirely, replacing it with the one in 0.5.1 I'm running NM 0.4.1

Initial run did install nickledbus

Upon subsequent runs the message "running precautionary library rescan" is displayed briefly, the browser then closes and the message Kobo UNCaGED Finished!" is displayed with a 'continue' button. Pressing the button dismisses the message and nothing further happens.

I have wifi on and have confirmed the Kobo can connect, likewise for my Mac running Calibre, they are on the same network. I told calibre to start a wireless device connection. I will note that intentionally having Calibre not running a wireless connection results in the same behavior.

I enabled debug, but I can't find any output of this after a run of KU.

just a recap of the versions of things

Calibre 5.72
NM 0.4.1
KU 0.5.1
Kobo firmware 4.25.15875
Old 12-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!

See https://github.com/shermp/Kobo-UNCaG...ment-744029709 for how to get some debug logging action going .
Old 12-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #75
sherman
Guru

Ok, it sounds like things are going wrong rather early in the startup process.

Your symptoms point to a fairly small portion of the code. After the browser has been opened, and before the config is displayed.

I'll definitely need to see the syslog to see what's gone wrong.